New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gonna ride the small stuff till I can get a spot on the roof to rappel to after the cut
wont be riding anything over 30% capacity for the crane, tied in above the ball, once we are on bigger stuff I will rappel to the roof, pull my line off the crane, and be 100% free of the crane while he sets the wood down, once we are on the spar and free from the house I will most likely just spike the stem

I'd strongly advise you not to ride any picks whatsoever. You're good to tie in above the ball with an ANSI approved crane tie in point like this to lift you into position (even though many crane ops wont allow this). However, the idea of riding a pick after the cut is extremely hazardous. I'm not so concerned about your body weight maxing out the crane load. The concern is how a pick may behave after it's cut. Especially with an inexperienced climber, picks can severely jolt around- or tip upside-down if the weight is not distributed correctly. There is a high potential for injury or worse. There are many things that can go wrong in this scenario. PLEASE reconsider this job. This is not a good "first" crane job.

I'm honest in saying it's very impressive what you've been able to do at your age. You don't need to do this to prove yourself. Please take time to listen to what the guys (and gals?) on this forum have to say before you get hurt.

If you want to talk about it please call me 570.418.3852 and I can try to help you out.

Advice well worth listening to. In addition to his well respected opinions here, he has an ISA BCMA certificate.

That's "International Society of Arboriculture" and "Board Certified Master Arborist". I haven't checked recently, but a few years ago there were only 5 such certified persons in my whole state. For him to crawl out on an internet limb like that is rather unusual.

picks can severely jolt around- or tip upside-down if the weight is not distributed correctly
no brush, its one long limb and some logs basically, pretty easy to balance a stick with some slings, especially with the ball centered over the center of gravity and 2 balancer slings, as I said, to minimize risk all around, once the end of the limb (small fragile stuff, that is also leverage to pull the tree onto the house) is off I will rappel to the roof after each cut and not ride the picks
biggest pick I will ride is basically a 2x4, and with how rotten the tree is, if that piece flipped over and hit me anywhere except square in the jaw I would barely feel it
cant use the tree behind it for a tie in due to vines, and the force id apply to the ash going out to make a cut, bucket wont reach, but I may (probably not but we will see if we gotta) run a high line between 2 trees, clear over the house and have a tie in straight over me, but the trees are 80-100ft apart so that may not work well
I suppose I can use the crane as a tie in point, run a highline between the trees, and zipline the wood away from the house, some speedline slings, pulleys, crane to stick me anywhere I need to get rigging set

I will get gopro video and post them here when we do the job
hard to explain from typing, doing the job the safest way we can do it

working a 60ft radius, 102' of boom out, good for 3400# minus me and the ball, so good for 2700, not going over 1K without me on the ball, 500# with me on it, and thats if I take big stuff, probably wont be over 100# picks, those limbs are light

1662135421843.png
1662135486655.png
1662135429283.png

Attachments

• 1662135445516.png
    1662135445516.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I will get gopro video and post them here when we do the job
hard to explain from typing, doing the job the safest way we can do it

working a 60ft radius, 102' of boom out, good for 3400# minus me and the ball, so good for 2700, not going over 1K without me on the ball, 500# with me on it, and thats if I take big stuff, probably wont be over 100# picks, those limbs are light

View attachment 1014590
View attachment 1014593
View attachment 1014591

Looks like you’ve got it all figured out.

Do it.:drinkingcoffee:

Didn’t get to use the Woodland Green MDS chopper today, but got to use the bucket and log truck again.

Man, I love this thing! Nice piece of hickory too,,, shame it’ll probably just go to the dump.
70845DA1-9D45-42C1-B8D8-44EF756CFC6F.jpeg

Advise well worth listening to. In addition to his well respected opinions here, he has an ISA BCMA certificate.

That's "International Society of Arboriculture" and "Board Certified Master Arborist". I haven't checked recently, but a few years ago there were only 5 such certified persons in my whole state. For him to crawl out on an internet limb like that is rather unusual.
Kind words. Thank you, sir!

Mr. Zin, I am not a professional arborist, and I am not a professional at anything, except at being old. I got old partly because of luck, and partly - most importantly - because I listened. Even to useless people that knew less about the subject than me, especially when the subject may affect the rest of my life. Even from those useless people a golden nugget of information may emerge that will turn on a mental light bulb, and may steer you in a different and better direction. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you take Mr. White up on his offer, and not try to reinvent the wheel at your expense. He has probably been there and done that. It won't hurt, just takes a few minutes of time, and I guarantee that call will produce future benefits.

P.S. I think I may have been a little hard of hearing when I was younger.

You can’t send that to the dump, high quality firewood !

I wish I didn’t have to. The one thing I really lack here is enough space. At least I have the equipment flowing in and out comfortably now and a worker parking area that’s sufficient.

But yeah, it makes sense that anything as tough and ornery as that hickory should yield some serious btu’s.

Mr. Zin, I am not a professional arborist, and I am not a professional at anything, except at being old. I got old partly because of luck, and partly - most importantly - because I listened. Even to useless people that knew less about the subject than me, especially when the subject may affect the rest of my life. Even from those useless people a golden nugget of information may emerge that will turn on a mental light bulb, and may steer you in a different and better direction. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you take Mr. White up on his offer, and not try to reinvent the wheel at your expense. He has probably been there and done that. It won't hurt, just takes a few minutes of time, and I guarantee that call will produce future benefits.

P.S. I think I may have been a little hard of hearing when I was younger.

This kid just needs a good old fashioned ass whoopin. Save your breath.

Latest posts

Back