New to forum and looking for info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldpioneer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to the forum so want to start by saying hello, this place looks like a great resource. I have a couple Stihls and was recently given an old Pioneer saw my father-in-law had in his shed because he knows I love anything antique or classic with an engine. My hope is to restore it and I am hoping someone on here knows about them. It is a Pioneer model NU-17, serial number 216412. All I know so far is the NU-17 was made from 1961 to 1964 though if someone could tell me the exact year that would be great. The saw is complete and in good shape and has compression as well as a good bar and chain. The issue is that it has no spark because the ignition coil is literally falling apart and I haven't yet been able to get the flywheel off to check the points and condenser. If anyone knows where to get parts that would be awesome because I can't find any so I have been mulling over some creative options. I hope to get it running and repainted and take it to shows and of course cut with it occasionally. Thanks for any help.

welcome at arboristsite:rock: I cant help you with your saw, but check the stickies section for the pioneer thread. Lots of good reading and pics. Some one will come along and should be more help.

I have got a pioneer 450, virtually the same saw. All the magnetos are falling apart on those. If you catch them in time, you can coat them and have them be OK. I think once you loose spark, you need to find a new one. All parts are NLA, good luck in your hunt.

New to the forum so want to start by saying hello, this place looks like a great resource. I have a couple Stihls and was recently given an old Pioneer saw my father-in-law had in his shed because he knows I love anything antique or classic with an engine. My hope is to restore it and I am hoping someone on here knows about them. It is a Pioneer model NU-17, serial number 216412. All I know so far is the NU-17 was made from 1961 to 1964 though if someone could tell me the exact year that would be great. The saw is complete and in good shape and has compression as well as a good bar and chain. The issue is that it has no spark because the ignition coil is literally falling apart and I haven't yet been able to get the flywheel off to check the points and condenser. If anyone knows where to get parts that would be awesome because I can't find any so I have been mulling over some creative options. I hope to get it running and repainted and take it to shows and of course cut with it occasionally. Thanks for any help.

Model Profile: NU-17

For parts, check with chainsawr.com (site sponsor). What is online isn't necessarily all they have, so a phone call can't hurt. eBay is a less desirable option, and as previously stated post up in the Pioneer thread. Also the Beg for Manuals thread might yield technical information.

Welcome to AS. New member rep sent.

Last edited:
Added a little new guy rep. I bet if anyone can help you, it would be jerry myers (pioneerguy600) He was able to get me the parts I needed to save my 450, If he cant find it, likely no one can. Check chainsawr first though. Only resort to the pioneer master jerry if all else fails. (I will try and direct hime here,he will have some tips)

Back