new to me 056

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbcrazyjr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok i got a 056 today with no name plate is there any way other than measuring bore to tell if it is a super mag magII or standard 056
thanks

nope you have to measure the bore and sometimes the stroke to see exactly what saw you have. if it is a mag there will be a cut out on the cylinder above the clutch cover to accommodate the side exhaust. easy way to measure piston is take off muffler and measure with a straw or piece of solder by laying it across the top of piston, run it up until it is creased and pull out and measure. similar with stroke through spark plug hole measure at TDC and BDC and calculate

The supers and mags have a exhaust port over the clutch cover. The mag will have a longer one than the super. I dont think all supers had this though. Also the mag air filter cover will have 2 cutouts on the bottom.

If you can get a peek at the base of the cylinder, an 056 super just has a chamfer at the corner of the base of the cylinder and a Magnum has a notch out of the lower half of the corner........

Super........
IMG_5693.jpg

Magnum........
IMG_5692.jpg

i does not have a exhaust port over clutch cover so i guess its a regular 056 thats fine its has a full wrap and a 32 inch bar all for less than two bills

i does not have a exhaust port over clutch cover so i guess its a regular 056 thats fine its has a full wrap and a 32 inch bar all for less than two bills

don't get your hopes down till you check the bore or cyllinder base. You still did pretty good regardless

ok i got a 056 today with no name plate is there any way other than measuring bore to tell if it is a super mag magII or standard 056
thanks
Might not be a 056 at all. The 045 ended up being pretty much the same saw with 52 and 54mm bore sizes.

sawrebuildandbar035.jpg

sawrebuildandbar034.jpg

This is a 045 ave look at the wrap handle is yours steel or aluminum? Early 045 had steel handles but the 056 and later 045 had aluminum. This one is a late 70's model with saw logo and no chain brake.

Back