New to Me MS361......or is it just NEW?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesssss!!! I finally have a saw Sawtroll likes! It's a day to remember.;)

Why do you like this saw? Good power to weight? Non-strato stihl with good anti-vibe setup?

All that + quad transfer cylinder, and it accellerates and runs like a Husky xp! With heating, you also get a metal handlebar - not the "plastic" one.....

The filter was a bit of an issue with the 361, lots of dust gets passed the sealing surfaces, and the filter midea itself. The springs allowed too much movement and sometimes this would pull on the intake boot too hard, causing an air leak at the carb. They also had bad carbs IMHO. Other than that, they were my favorite 60cc saw, no saw is perfect.

I did notice that there looks like a decent sized baffle inside the muffler. I guess this saw responds well with a mm and a retune?

Also is there any issue with the air filter and proper filtration? I recently removed the limiters on my brother-in-laws ms362 and was surprised by the amount of dust I saw when I took off the filter.

Yesssss!!! I finally have a saw Sawtroll likes! It's a day to remember.;)

Why do you like this saw? Good power to weight? Non-strato stihl with good anti-vibe setup?

That saw has the worst baffle nightmare of ALL saws. Get it out of there and you'll wake that thing UP! My MS361 had a problem with the air filter leaking because there was a piece of plastic sticking out from the air box that kept the cover from seating correctly. When I removed that extra piece, no more leak.

8-pin and Strectched Chain

3/8x8 is not silly at all, with short bars (15-16"), for limbing - it actually is very effective! :clap::clap::givebeer:
There is another time when the 8-pin rim works on a 361. I actually used a 3/8 063 chain on a 20" bar that stretched to the point that the chain tensioner would not keep it tight enough to the bar when all the way to the right. So, I switched to an 8-pin rim and kept on going. Yes, it caused a little torque loss, but it worked.

That depends on the bar used. With a 16 "or 18" bar, I think .325 9 pin is faster than 3/8. It is ideal for limbing, and this is where you save time when you are a professional.

I often tried the 3/8 " on this chainsaw, and I always came back to the .325 semi chisel. The difference is most noticeable in hard wood. But in the U.S. you tend to use more long bars, and i agree that from 50" and beyond, the 7-pin RIM give more torque.

I would prefere to keep the .325 chain chisel - preferably Oregon LP/LPX. Stihl RSC/RS cuts a wider kerf, and also has shorter cutters.

I run 8 pin up to twenty on the non ported saw and 8 up to 24-5 on ported. 3/8 050 full comp semi and chisel as needed. The ported monster will pull 28" 7p full comp semi 050. Won't pull it in dry hardwood but, softer types wet, yes. Going to try 28" skip chisel. All chains are Oregon/Husky in chisel and some Stihl semi. Time to get a fourth one to play with :)

I don't agree about the muffler. It is a gem, just a diamond in the ruff. One of the best flowing mufflers that you don't have to gut all out. You need to know where to go and what to cut out from within them. Mine still have partial guts and not just support posts.

Troll knows what's up. So, how do I get my hands on that metal handle? Even burnt out is OK. I'll figure the rest out for myself.

:pirate:

:rock:My brother in law owned 2 of these upon the advice I gave him from reading on this site. I ran both of his but never owned one, it was one of the smoothest and best handling saws I ever put in my hands. His was 3/8 pitch chain and 15 or 16 inch bars. I congratulate you on such a beautiful find. So reliable and as close to a 10 out of 10 chainsaw as was ever made!!!!!:rock:

:rock:My brother in law owned 2 of these upon the advice I gave him from reading on this site. I ran both of his but never owned one, it was one of the smoothest and best handling saws I ever put in my hands. His was 3/8 pitch chain and 15 or 16 inch bars. I congratulate you on such a beautiful find. So reliable and as close to a 10 out of 10 chainsaw as was ever made!!!!!:rock:

The only real minus with the design is the inboard clutch, but it handles nice for a saw with that feature, actually better than the Dolmar 5100S, despite a little more weight. :msp_wink:

Well I got the saw fitted with a couple new rs chains. Also let it rip today to get it tuned and to check the oiler. Seems like the saw was running good at 13600-13750. Oiler was oiling and have not observed anything out of the ordinary. Now I just need a decent piece of wood to give it the real test and to shoot some video of this saw in action.

:rock:

Well I got the saw fitted with a couple new rs chains. Also let it rip today to get it tuned and to check the oiler. Seems like the saw was running good at 13600-13750. Oiler was oiling and have not observed anything out of the ordinary. Now I just need a decent piece of wood to give it the real test and to shoot some video of this saw in action.

:rock:

Mine is a little rich at 14k, so it is set at a somewhat higher number. This doesn't mean that they all like that though...

Latest posts

Back