new to site-csm 2 saw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutngo

Reaction score
hello, first time writing on the site-just had a quick question-want to buy a csm. I have a 385 and 395; can I run these both on the double-ended bar, or will the difference in power cause a problem? Thanks, excited to start making some lumber-been cutting it into firewood for years!

I just learned about double bars the other day myself. Apparently, as long as they're tuned to each other, RPM-wise, you're good to go. I heard of someone planning to run a 066/088 or 084 combo if I remember correctly.

And I learned that from a member here, Rotax Robert. Look him up. He'll fill ya in. I don't know if he checks the Milling forum much. Heck I just stumbled in here tonight. You'll find him down with the rest of us saw nerds in the Chainsaw forum. He's the guy that runs that big V-8 chainsaw, the Predator. Kinda hard to miss.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Think of it this way...if your 395 is your main milling saw, once you get it under load the 385 is just going to help pull the chain through the cut.

Jeff is correct, as long as they are matched RPM wise, you are fine.

Double ended bars

Welcome to the forum, this thread has risen a few time on the forum before, here are my findings on a double ender V's single ender.

I have made and used a double ended outfit before, 2 X Dolmar 9100's, 95cc, a piece, very good bucking and milling saw, they have the same bar fitting as the big Stihl 880, and you can buy both for about the same price as the big Husky or Stihl.

I found that there is no big advantage in having two saws, unless you are cutting 60 inches or wider all the time, cutting smaller lumber below 24 inches is a real waste of fuel and oil, You can turn off one engine and let the one do the work on a smaller log, but that is plain silly, having a second saw as a roller nose to guide the chain.

You would be better off buying one big saw, my choice only of course, A big Stihl Magmum 880 and a 50 inch Cannon or similar quality bar, change the tip and use a 9 tooth sprocket to drive a 325 chain, this save heaps of power loss and cuts much quicker, 440 is a big waste in timber especially timber like walnut and oak, 325 gives a better finish, more cutters, better finish.

Two saws also need to be perfectly balanced for revs or one will simply soak up the power of the other one, this is not at all easy to do, unless you have an electronic tacho to constantly check things, you cannot guess this stage at all, it must be right.

If you look on the Procut website, http://www.procutportablesawmills.com/doublesawbars.htm you will find more and the same information on double enders.

Back