New to the forum, need a new Stihl under $500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed in Maine

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Nice forum, did some some searches but haven't seen much on the mid-range saws. I have a small Mac...:bang: enough said. I use a friends MS290 that he got a couple years ago, nice saw but not a power house on gnarly maple.
A close family friend owns the Stihl dealership so I pretty much have to get a still. I cut 2-3 cord per year, mostly all under 12" or so as the land was cut hard about 15years ago. All maple and some birch and poplar mixed in. I also trim my apple trees, about 25 mature trees, just for looks, not much apples but they make a mean hard cider... I also do some ATV and snowmobile trail maintainence.

Need to stay under $500 for saw and a pair of chaps. I have cases, files, glasses, etc. Open house is this Saturday so I have been promised a good deal.

Here's what I am thinking:

• MS290: nice saw for $320 or so. No quickstop braking system (which I think I would like since I do not have tons of hours on a saw)
  • MS280 C-BQ: tad smaller ender than the 290, but it has the tool less tensioner (does this work?), and the quickstop. Probably in the $420 range? I am leaning towards this one.
  • MS361 C-Q: The dealer owner thinks I should pony up $550 for this one, but is it too much saw? Would eat through the maple nicely though...

Any other saws I should condider, any opinions?

First off, welcome to arboristsite.

Second, you will not find a soul who has anything bad to say about the 361. It is an absolutely superb saw that is as comfortable with a 16" setup as a 28" running skip chain. Great all-around machine. If I were you, I would see if the family friend can cut you a good deal on the 361. You will not be disappointed with that saw!

Third, I'd avoid that quickstop feature. Wear your protective gear and use your brain and you'll be fine. I am not a fan of these "safety" features, I think they add mechanical complexity and the potential for parts breakage, in exchange for a false sense of security. A conventional chainbrake will serve the same function, you just have to bump it on and off yourself.

Fourth, the 280 and 290 are both very durable saws, but are not in the same league as the 361. Of the two I would take a 280 without quickstop or tool-less tensioning. The 290 is cheap but heavy for its power output, has poor anti-vibration and air filtration, and has a plastic chassis, though it is a very reliable saw in spite of its shortcomings.

And lastly, if you do a search for "361" you will have LOTS of good reading to do. The same with prior discussions on the quickstop feature.

And again, welcome!

Welcome...

You get what you pay for.. They all cut wood.. and for what you do, they'll all work just fine.

The 361 is in a class of its own in comparison to the other two. If it was me, I'd save my beer money for few days :) and buy the 361... then pass it on to your grandkids in a few decades.

The 280 is great mid-range choice, but not a lot more of a saw than the 290. Tool-less tensioner works fine, but I wouldn't pay extra for one.. Have your dealer order a 280 without the quick-stop or tool-less tensioner - it's a standard model and about $30 (or more) cheaper.

Good feedback guys! Never really considered the risk in complexity for adding the 'fancy' features. Will go without the quickstop and tool-less tensioner. I guess my buddy was steering me in the right direction. The 361 is quite a saw, hard to believe it is only 2.5cc larger, and lighter, AND almost 20% more kW than the 290. hooah :rock: , 361 it is! Just need to convince the wife....that or buy a bunch of crapbooking stuff to bring home with the saw.

computeruser said:
First off, welcome to arboristsite.

Second, you will not find a soul who has anything bad to say about the 361. It is an absolutely superb saw that is as comfortable with a 16" setup as a 28" running skip chain.

Third, I'd avoid that quickstop feature. Wear your protective gear and use your brain and you'll be fine.

And again, welcome!
Welcome Ed, I am a soul who thinks the 361 is a good saw, but it has the typical Stihl problem of the chain tightening as you tighten the bar nuts and the fuel tank cannot handle a sharp chain coming off at high rpm. I used a new one and had this happen, I just threw it in the truck, "junk, next", I was used to 372s at the time, but the 361 is a killer saw for a weekend warrior firewood guy. This dealer is a family friend, why not get a good used saw from him, and then have money to buy new safety stuff?

Good point on the used route. I buy/sell a lot on ebay but with the 361, it looks like you would only save $75 or so to buy used? All his used stuff is really used, we are talking back woods of Maine here. Will mention it to him though. But I need a saw asap, was 14 deg F this morning, and I need one more cord to have more than enough... He was telling me there is not much mark up on his saws because his volumes are pretty low, surprised me. He sells Toro and runs a mechanics garage in the same building.

I would say a 361 is a great choice,having a dealer in the family makes the choice even easier.
the money you save getting a 280/290 as opposed to the 361 is a factor but the smoothness,power and anti-vibration system of the 361 will offset the difference.
if you buy a 280/290,a month later you will have wished you had purchased the 361.

Ed in Maine said:
Good feedback guys! Never really considered the risk in complexity for adding the 'fancy' features. Will go without the quickstop and tool-less tensioner. I guess my buddy was steering me in the right direction. The 361 is quite a saw, hard to believe it is only 2.5cc larger, and lighter, AND almost 20% more kW than the 290. hooah :rock: , 361 it is! Just need to convince the wife....that or buy a bunch of crapbooking stuff to bring home with the saw.

Power to weight :blob2: No question go with the 361 iffen you have to
have a stihl. :D

welcome!

Welcome to the site Ed! You will find that there are many a fine people in this forum that offer good advice and have a lot of good stories and know-how!!! I dont have much to offer in regards to what saw you should buy....but out of the brands that i have used, i find Stihl to be the nicest....smooth cut, little vibration, and they have guts when it comes down to it....Anyway, welcome and enjoy!!!:clap:

I'm with the 361 group...

I'm a non-pro, like you.... Less than 10 cord a year, a little cleanup, snowmobile trail maintenance, and helping friends out once in a while. Bought a MS 290 a few years ago and I have to say it's a great saw...and cheap too. Considering my needs it's was likely the perfect saw.

The something happened to me, and it's happening to you right now. It's a web site that has a heck of a lot of good guys and tons of great information. It's real hard to walk away from this site and it's guaranteed to leave you thinking that a saw that "meets your needs" is not good enough.

The MS290 sits in the barn, I sold my Partner 5000 to a fellow AS member, and the old homie and Mac barely get dusted off any more. All have been replaced by the 361.

If you're locked into a stihl...get the 361.

Great saw everyone is suggesting, one question. Why not the 310???? I know guys still swear by the 361, I think it's an absolutely awesome saw myself, but why not the 310 or the 390??? Neither are pro saws, but mid range, and probably cost quite a bit less eh? :confused:

ciscoguy01 said:
...but why not the 310 or the 390??? Neither are pro saws, but mid range, and probably cost quite a bit less eh? :confused:

Cost less, and weigh more. I've owned a 310. It's just a case of you get what you pay for. The 310 and 390 are less nimble and less capable saws that weigh more and are constructed in a less desireable manner than the 361horizontally split, vs vertically split case which is polymer vs magnesium. The 361 has far better A/V as well.

The 361 is worth the extra money in every way. And like he said, it'll pay for iteself on it's own.

I got a 361 a couple of months ago and have been extremely happy with it. I am on a prepetual search for trees.

The 361 was my first real saw and the time savings alone make it worth the extra dough.

good luck and welcome.
K

get the 361

I'm a Husky fan,but since you have a good dealer go for the 361.Nothing worse than dropping your hard earned money on a saw and not being happy!The 361 has plenty of grunt power for what you want.
Welcome to the site,and cut up the credit cards!
Ed

Go for it...

Good Morning Ed:

I own Stihls, but I use any saw that runs and cuts. My dad has Husky, I ended up with Stihl, both great, I live close to a dealer too. I have the 026 for most of my firewood, and it does fine with the sugarmaples and oaks around here and up north. There are a lot of 026/036 and 260/360 in the used arena, but not so many of the newer 361. They-re a great saw, but if your wife is like my wife with the scrapbooks (she is from Maine too) then I would really consider spending $350-$450 on the saw, and getting some great chains with that bottle of wine to be presented with the "stampin' up" and scrapbooking crap. Plus it makes you look fiscally responsible, and overall the King. And who doesn't like to be a king? They all sound like great choices though, Ed. enjoy the cold, it will only be with you until Summer.

-Jason

clearance said:
Welcome Ed, I am a soul who thinks the 361 is a good saw, but it has the typical Stihl problem of the chain tightening as you tighten the bar nuts and the fuel tank cannot handle a sharp chain coming off at high rpm. I used a new one and had this happen, I just threw it in the truck, "junk, next", I was used to 372s at the time, but the 361 is a killer saw for a weekend warrior firewood guy. This dealer is a family friend, why not get a good used saw from him, and then have money to buy new safety stuff?
Never had this happen, tightening problem with any of my Stihl saws. I guess if you would have adjusted it right your problem would not have happened.

as a follow up

After thinking about your post alittle more, I wanted to make sure that the increase in cost to get the 361 was not coming at a compromise of PPE-I would reccomend buying a lesser saw and better PPE if the budget would not allow both.

Kevin

Welcome to the board and the be careful that you don't become a pro saw or no saw type too quickly. Dammit guys he said 2-3 cords a year, two days work a year and a non pro saw will last him quite a while. Heck my father in law cuts two times that amount with an old 021 (same as MS210). A properly taken care of 290 270 280 will last you a very long time. A neglected 290 wont last very long, but then neither will a neglected 361.

That being said, if you like top notch equipment go for a 361 and enjoy it. If you just want to get your 2-3 cords cut get the 290 or even a 250 and invest the difference in what pleasures you.

Edited, Hells bells I just re-read his post, "mostly under 12inch" If you go pro saw please check out a 260 pro and save both weight and money and cut up 12 inch minus like no tomorrow.

Next thing ya know we will be recommending 3120s and 880s for goshdarned leaf removal on here.

Last edited:
I agree with them too

I just took care of a guy who skipped his bar off a limb and gashed open his thigh, actually avoiding his artery, but causing some really horrible damage nonetheless. Just trying to heat his house, and save for Christmas like the rest of us... I know I mentioned that they are all good choices, but I also have to say to spend the money on some top of the line chaps, a mid range saw and a good helmet set up at a minimum. Can't stress the sharp chain enough though. Good Luck Ed, let us know what you get, and be safe.

-Jason

Back