New to the forum, need a new Stihl under $500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is great feedback. I have never used chaps but will definitely be getting a pair when I get my saw, my buddy won't let me buy a saw from him without a pair. I only do 2-3 cord /yr, but my brother in law (MS290) and I do 8ish cords total together on his land. We went in on a splitter a few years back. I am also looking to buy a wood lot soon and cut my own wood, and possibly looking into a do it yourself milling kit?? Making slab furniture? 6x6 posts for a pole barn?

I also noticed that the pro saws hold their values a little better than the mid-range. I'm an engineer so I will have the RPM kit soon and be tweaking this thing off an on. Hell, knowing me, I will have a digital tach mounted to the back of the case with an hour meter for service intervals.

Thanks for all the feedback, but at the open house on Saturday, if I can get a 361 with a bar and chain (probably just 16" for now?), chaps, tax, and a fancy new stihl ball cap for under $600ish, I'll be bringing it home!!! I will start a new post with pics.... Will put the color GPS on hold, B&W will have to continue to work.

Thanks!
Ed

Ed in Maine said:
This is great feedback. I have never used chaps but will definitely be getting a pair when I get my saw, my buddy won't let me buy a saw from him without a pair. I only do 2-3 cord /yr, but my brother in law (MS290) and I do 8ish cords total together on his land. We went in on a splitter a few years back. I am also looking to buy a wood lot soon and cut my own wood, and possibly looking into a do it yourself milling kit?? Making slab furniture? 6x6 posts for a pole barn?

I also noticed that the pro saws hold their values a little better than the mid-range. I'm an engineer so I will have the RPM kit soon and be tweaking this thing off an on. Hell, knowing me, I will have a digital tach mounted to the back of the case with an hour meter for service intervals.

Thanks for all the feedback, but at the open house on Saturday, if I can get a 361 with a bar and chain (probably just 16" for now?), chaps, tax, and a fancy new stihl ball cap for under $600ish, I'll be bringing it home!!! I will start a new post with pics.... Will put the color GPS on hold, B&W will have to continue to work.

Thanks!
Ed

Well, with future plans like yours I think you've found a good place to hang out!

Your choice of a 361/16" combination is an excellent combination. I ran one that belongs to another AS member that was set up that way last month and was VERY impressed. You will be pleased with this combination, I am sure. Down the road you can add a 24" bar with skip chain for the occasional big tree or stump that needs to be cut flush. This will make for a very versatile combination.

Look forward to the pictures!

I'll just second everyones comments about the 361. But I'm wondering why you "have" to buy from your friend. If you feel compelled to buy from him, he should feel just as "compelled" to give you a better deal. I don't know what dealer cost is on a 361, but I'm thinking a "close" friend could do a bit better than the price he quoted you. I'm just sayin' that's all...

He's just a good 'ole guy and will do what he can to get me a fair price. He knows that I am not scrounging to make ends meet and can afford a good saw, but he also helps me out when I need something that is hard to find. He GAVE me a 75% rear tire for my case 430 backhoe with a tube, that would have been $150 or so used. Turned my rotors for free etc... I just do computer favors for him, map uploads for the GPS, search for cheap airplane tickets....

It pretty much has to be a stihl, if my next door neighbor had a nice used 361, I'd buy it. If I had a husky and it broke down, I'd never hear the end of it!

Thanks for reinforcing the 361, I am excited. I have an old apple tree that i never really liked. It stalled my Mac, it's nice and fat, will be the first test! Will have a video and pics to post:chainsaw:

Ed in Maine said:
Thanks for reinforcing the 361, I am excited. I have an old apple tree that i never really liked. It stalled my Mac, it's nice and fat, will be the first test! Will have a video and pics to post:chainsaw:
I'm looking forward to the pics and video. The MS361, if I ever need another saw will be my next one.:D

I have used ms 390s alot and they seem to be very good saw. If the difference in $ is the question that saw would do what you need to do. If you can spend the extra than go with a ms361 just my opinion.

036 pro
(2) cs-3400
cs-3000
162se
mac 15

Seems like the same goes for chainsaws as tractors. I do not know many people that trade in their tractor for a smaller one..... buy the one that fits your budget, plus a little!
Ed

Butch(OH) said:
Dammit guys he said 2-3 cords a year, two days work a year and a non pro saw will last him quite a while. Heck my father in law cuts two times that amount with an old 021 (same as MS210).
Sounds like he's either mentally challenged or a tightwad. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back