New to the forum!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmcgatha1991

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I just started my new about 3 months ago.. subcontracting work thru tva aka Tennessee Valley authorities... i came across a stihl 036 that the owner said didn't run, I asked him what he wanted he said since it's a non running saw he'd take 75 so I paid him got home and put fresh gas in it and with some starter fluid it fired right up I actually have been using it all day cutting danger trees under transmission lines... I love it! It has a 25 in bar and new chain... just wanted some pointers on upkeep and should I do anything since it's been sitting for a few yrs? And did I get a good deal? Sorry for the long post

Welcome ya the best thing to do with a stihl saw like that is sell it and buy a Husky....................................................................................................................if you can find some one to take it off your hands .............................................

Welcome ya the best thing to do with a stihl saw like that is sell it and buy a Husky....................................................................................................................if you can find some one to take it off your hands .............................................
Wrong!

Keep that Stihl, way better than any husky I've run (not that I've run many but gave them away is what I did when someone gave them to me :laugh: )

$75? Hell of a good deal!

You might want to replace the impulse line and fuel line, fuel filter . If they are old and hard and crack, you will run into a lean condition and burn up the top end. At least look closely at them to determine their condition. You might also want to pull the muffler and look at the condition of the piston and cylinder. You should also get a compression test just to have a base line for future reference. Do a search on the forum here on how to do a carb tune so you know that it is running like it should. You might consider getting a 20” bar and chain for it also so you have a backup to cut it loose if you get it pinched, which you will sooner or later. Great saw, great price, good luck with it.

Awesome thanks! I finally used it and it actually didn't do bad got a brand new chain so it zipped thru some decent size trees no prob... here's a pic of the saw itself gonna post a video as well... the bar and chain is 24 inched gonna get a 20 to keep handy like mentioned above... its not a beauty but idc as long as it cuts what I need it to...

Attachments

• 20230108_112341.jpg
    20230108_112341.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Here's a video of big Bertha I'n action... idk y I named it that but it stuck in my mind

Awesome thanks! I finally used it and it actually didn't do bad got a brand new chain so it zipped thru some decent size trees no prob... here's a pic of the saw itself gonna post a video as well... the bar and chain is 24 inched gonna get a 20 to keep handy like mentioned above... its not a beauty but idc as long as it cuts what I need it to...
$75?? SCORE!!

You should be posting in the "You suck" thread.

It's a sarcastic title but it's where people get to brag about their awesome finds.
:cheers:

Back