New to the tree side of the biz

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even the second option would force you to live a bit of a lie. You probably shouldn't tell you're new boss that once your trained and capable of making him money that you're going to go out on your own, even if it's a different town. This is a tough question Bearcreek. And I do not have the answer for it. I worked my ass off for a 8 year span...dragging brush, humping logs, progressed to climbing and bucket work, started my own biz on the side, told my boss about the biz, got fired, got rehired, quit, went fulltime. Yeah I lived a bit of a lie, but how else do you do it?

Good points all around Blakester!! :cheers:

That's true but it's kind of my point. Many of the "veterans" on here give new people hell when they ask about starting on their own when in reality there really is not many other options besides lying to an employer, something which I don't think anyone here would encourage. Each situation is unique and sometimes things work out fine. When I started out climbing I learned a few old school style basics from the grandpa of a friend of mine who was retiring from the biz. Other than that i'm almost completely self taught and I've been doing this for around ten years now and have yet to do any serious damage to property. There are a lot of resources out there that a person can take advantage of to teach themselves many of the in's and out's of tree work. Nothing beats experience of course but sometimes a person has to get that on their own.

You got a good point here. I just see some of the morons that operate tree services in this town that never worked serious production level #### before. Graduates from mower sitting to the tree world via their own thoughts of "Well I can do that!" I'm sure a few take some on the chin and learn from it, and even a few others do their research and do good work but for the most part the boys I see start up, toss an ad out there and call themselves tree services are just a bunch of hacks and it only ends up hurting them and the local market in the long run.

The first guy I worked for in this biz was one of them. Has been at it for 25 years, running his own show. Can't cut fer ####, anything he takes down he whittles 'cause he can't work big wood, spikes his trim jobs and carries no insurance. He still lowballs bids, hires high school kids under the table to drag brush, has no equipment and only stays afloat 'cause he's a smooth talker. He tried giving me advice a few months ago. Says, " If ya worked cheaper you'd always have work. " lol I got no intentions of that sir, none at all.

Hey don't listen to these bozos the vermeer 1230 or 1250 are both great machines half of the haters of vermeer will tell that a Woodsman is a great machine too , and Rayco , frankly brush bandits blow there cheaply built and welded parts break with no rhyme or reason , I have three vermeers and one has damn near 4K hrs and still would walk all over most others they are built to last and are operator friendly , on the other hand the Morbark 290 is a bit of a legend aswell and last for a long time too ... The only drawback to Vermeer is there parts people are like t#ts on a bull ...

Bandit 200xp: unknown hours, it wore out the hour meter. Bought new in 1997, and almost NOTHING has been repaired.

1. Safety interlock on the disk cover quit working, we bypassed it.
2. Lever on the hydraulic valve to lift the rollers wore out. Eventually, we replaced the whole valve.
3. Analog tach/ hourmeter died. New one is digital.

We rolled it upside down once, and then it bent the discharge chute and radiator cowl. NO new parts required.

We jacknifed it once, bent the tongue and trashed the radiator. Can't blame that on Bandit.

With 13 years of commercial use, and that is all that has been fixed on it, due to wear & abuse. Beat that record with any Vermeer!

Sounds like your a little abusive , and maybe if I was a complete D head who rolled my machine and couldn't park it maybe I could beat your record , sounds like you definitely hold the retard award hands down

Tell you what if the right bosaman were there ole rope would just work for him but I have been there done that. Too many years of twenty cent raise's and good benny's; while I miss the benny's, I don't miss the poverty; even though I have bouts of that on my own slow downs etc, working my own gig is great most times.

Sounds like your a little abusive , and maybe if I was a complete D head who rolled my machine and couldn't park it maybe I could beat your record , sounds like you definitely hold the retard award hands down

I have almost no respect for your opinions. You make assumptions that are unfounded, you issue statements that are intended to inflame other readers, and you generally project the air of someone that is too self absorbed to learn from anyone else. My perception is that you are seeking to boost your self-esteem by insulting as many people as you can.

If you think otherwise, look at the last 40 posts listed on your record, and see how many have either beneficial or complimentary comments.

You should consider adding helpful comments sometime. You will get a greater feeling of accomplishment, and you will usually get more respect from your peers.

I don't expect that you will learn anything from this comment, so you should not anticipate that I will respond to any of your insulting commentary.

[EDIT: You said "IF I was a complete D head..."? I don't really think there is any question about that.]

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

Last edited:
I have almost no respect for your opinions. You make assumptions that are unfounded, you issue statements that are intended to inflame other readers, and you generally project the air of someone that is too self absorbed to learn from anyone else. My perception is that you are seeking to boost your self-esteem by insulting as many people as you can.

If you think otherwise, look at the last 40 posts listed on your record, and see how many have either beneficial or complimentary comments.

You should consider adding helpful comments sometime. You will get a greater feeling of accomplishment, and you will usually get more respect from your peers.

I don't expect that you will learn anything from this comment, so you should not anticipate that I will respond to any of your insulting commentary.

[EDIT: You said "IF I was a complete D head..."? I don't really think there is any question about that.]

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

Don't get your panties in a bunch missie its a joke thats all , but seriously who treats there machines like that , I am not presuming any thing there your words I have had the same machine for 11yrs never jackknifed once to cause damage , certainly never rolled it and if I had I really wouldn't wear that as A BADGE OF HONOR , so maybe you are a little goofy I am sure its a hard concept for you to grasp, Oh and I am a nice guy but damn really , if I was a complete bafoon and someone didn't point it out to me I would be a little hurt so take my words as from someone who cares ...

Last edited:
Every climber I know either works for themselves solely, or works for a company and does side jobs on their own time (saturday and sunday) I know many more climbers that work for someone throughout the week and do side jobs on the weekend than I do than those that can work for themselves all the time. They also eat a little better probably...

The equipment, trucks, insurance, etc... are all huge costs. Now cutting a tree down in my opinion beats just about any other type of work there is but that doesn't mean if I was the owner of such a company it would be more profitable than any other. Hell the crew I went on lost money today almost and I wasn't the climber. Took the guy in the bucket 6 hours to cut and rope a few leads that shoulda taken 2 with a half hour for clean up.... Now there was alot of #### that went wrong, one of those days, but still... It's like anything, some you win some you lose...

Also I'm lucky the owner encourages teaching me how to climb because he knows I'm gonna work for him for atleast a few years due to reasons regarding problems relocating..

Hey *******! fast forward to now, i'm A college educated and degreed horticulturist and ISA Certified, have a ****ing nice day!
Only read this and the first few posts. Bet you've had this thread bookmarked for a long ass time! Thanks for the laugh, nice work and stay safe.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A good way to advertise is get you business online and get Google verified. You would be surprised at how many people in your area are looking for an experienced tree trimming/ removal service. It's 2016 man you gotta be online.

I'm guessing being 18 you can put together a basic website. Here is a site I put together that will give you an idea of how basic. www.treetrimmingevansville.com

Keep it simple and to the point. Make sure your phone number is at the top so the customer can click to call you. Also have a form in the site as well as that also helps to give people another way to contact you.

Once you get google verified maybe run some adword campaigns, or you can hire an seo guy to get you ranking in search engines so people can find you. This is a way to bring in a lot of leads.

Keep in mind you will get people calling but you will also get the pesky marketing calls as well because salespeople love to find leads on Google. Hope this helps.

Waited 6 years to respond to a guy who is seldom on the board any more. Yup, you sure showed him. Snowflake:laughing:
Or should I say chump? Climbing coastals for 20 something an hour. Not THAT'S funny, snowflake! :laughing:
I bet that kid is rolling in dough.

Back