New to working on saws...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not the saws I would have picked to start with but since you have them we'll help in any way we can...I would have started with cheap saws like the plastic poulan saws, easy to work on and cheap on parts. Husqvarna does have an aftermarket if that's appealing to you, Dolmar does not, parts kinda high and a bit scarce. If you get them repaired all the saws you picked will sell at a good price.
IMO I think he has a good lineup to get started, you can put a lot of work into a cheap box store saw and in the end you have a saw worth about 80 to 100 $ and I find them frustrating to work on so I don't except for pro saws of that size- ask lots of questions and do your reserch but be warned is you have the early signs of CAD

Congratulations mn man for coming over to the dark side of this fascinating hobby/profession. Remember, there are no dumb questions, only ignorant replies

BTW, you neglected to say what all those saws cost you at auction. If the price is right, this purchase just may qualify you for inclusion in the "You Suck!" thread.
Under $500 for a 394 with compression, 371 with compression, 2 272's flywheel turns on one but not the other, dolmar 5100 missing spark but in good shape, 1-32 inch husky bar, 4-28 inch bars, 2-24 inch bars and they just need to be cleaned out replaceable tips are still good..... and an eager beaver 🦫 20220330_151953.jpg

I just started to try to rebuild 2 cycle engines. I picked up a Stihl TS420 cutoff saw that was a trash pick for $50. I found that a decent digital caliper and a pressure/vac tester are essential. I used a two jaw puller to remove bearings. Had to use a dremel wafer wheel to cut the inner race of a bearing off a crankshaft. A good small engine compression gauge is also essential. Set of carb adjustment tools are cheap also. I think I got 10 different tools for $15. I pick up a ring compressor set for around $10. I used a set of diamond files to clean up chamfer on new cylinders. Finally use your smartphone to take a ton of pictures from all different angles of everything you are working on.
Got the TS420 running great.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/ts420-project-cutoff-saw.356485/

Atuomender mentioned a digital caliper and carb adjust tools.
I normally do not brag on HF tools but their digital caliper does mm and inches convert just by pushing a button. I have more expensive one but keep the HF in the greasy shop and it's lasted long time. I buy the button batteries by bulk on-line.
The carb adjust set can be purchased on-line as a kit dirt cheap and you will need them.

I noticed the chainsaw on the bench in your post #25.
I have couple of the old metal cheapo metal cookie baking pans that has lips on edge about 1/2 inch high that I set the saws in while on the bench (OR ON THE KITCHEN TABLE) and the metal pan catches the oil, dirt grease and any small parts that get loose and keeps the trash off the bench or TABLE CLOTH. I also use the larger round plastic molasses feed barrel lids with edges about 1 inch high that ranchers use for the larger small engine 4 cycle engines and these will catch oil, etc as the engine is rolled around. Also they will keep tools close at hand.
I also use the catch pans to set saws in when off the bench on a shelf or on the floor so as to catch oil and keep the bottom of a saw off of concrete when storing.

Most of us here repair more than chainsaws so we have many different kinds of tools. Right now I have a husqvarna 435 torn down and am having a time repairing all that's wrong with it while the wife has been wondering when I'm gonna crawl under the house and replace a sump pump. We're having foul weather right now so that should put her off for a few days.

Back