New tool to keep around the splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't do anything with them. My neighbors are used to little-bitty ant screams from the OWB. There is BTU's in them.

Ants are easy to deal with in a woodpile.
What do you do when you get uncles in your woodpiles? lol

Do you get smart?

I was splitting some wood today and some of the rounds had carpenter ants . and my normal way of ridding the wood of them is dump a little gas on the wood . Well today I had a brain fart , I went and got the torch and made some crispy ants http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads18/ul1001297297967.jpg

Been doing the same since I first started gathering wood. Actually, I use a combination method. If I know the wood is buggy before starting to split, I'll tarp the whole pile for at least a week of hot weather and cook 'em out before starting. Unless the weather is cloudy and/or cool throughout the period, that does a good job.

If I don't really need the wood, or it's really buggy and thus pretty punky too, I'll just throw 'em in the firepit over the course of a weekend and keep a good fire going until all the buggy stuff is gone. Man, you should see those things piling out as some of those rounds start getting smoked and/or hot inside! Only to fall straight into the coals...

If it's just a few rounds and I feel like playing, I'll torch the rounds to start and then might attack again after splitting if needed. They curl up with just a hint of the quickest pass of the flame!

Mostly though, I leave the buggy stuff behind to let the critters all do their thing to finish recycling what's left. Unless I really, really want that wood. I brought home about a cord of shag bark hickory a couple of years ago and ended up tossing over half of it in the firepit while splitting it. Man, I hated to see that burn up outside during the summer, but NO BUGS allowed!

Another use for the propane torch. :)

Times were, I'd pop a seemingly solid round only to open a big, fat nest of the darn things. What is it with red maple and carpenter ants anyhow? :confused:

Ants crawling around the splitter used to bother me. Ol' Wolfster got smart... I only split in winter now.

I brought in a small load of locust. When splitting it was loaded with little bitty ants. No problem, just splti it, pile it and the ants are gone. The nest is usually in the ground back where I cut the tree. Same with carpenter ants. Split, pile, and the ants die.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back