New Tractor and Winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great bunch of trees! For the tractor being cold, may I suggest a power inverter for your trailer to keep it plugged and toasty for the ride, if I could figure out how to post a picture here, I would show you mine, it was cheap and sure beats driving around with stuff running, especially with our local DOT.

Great bunch of trees! For the tractor being cold, may I suggest a power inverter for your trailer to keep it plugged and toasty for the ride, if I could figure out how to post a picture here, I would show you mine, it was cheap and sure beats driving around with stuff running, especially with our local DOT.

Thats a great idea as well, that way I could plug in the tractor, and power tools if need be. And actually today my friend was wishing we had a microwave for his lunch, with an inverter that could be a possibility:)

Where hickories go to die

Well I have been busy in the new year. I started out by pulling, bucking and transporting some tops that were left after a friend of mine had his bush logged. And lately I have been cleaning up a fencerow at the FIL's. It is pretty much all bitternut hickory, and lots of it! Here is a pic of the start of the FIL's wood pile, appox. 5 cord so far.
attachment.php

Next is pics of the landing, all hickory. We are going to start bucking in the morning. I figure it will take a few days to cut it all up.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

A few more pics to come.

T & w

I picked up a L4400(new) and fit it with a Farmi 501 wich. Paid for the winch on the first job. pulled a lot of trees off a steep hillside with the help of the self releasing snatch block to keep them from rolling into the customers back yard and house. I have someone calling for me to skid some loads for the mill. he wants to pay when the check gets there and I want $ at the days end. DON'T know him well enough to wait. So I guess that won't work out.. anyway GREAT set up..

turkeyslayer

I own a new 29 hp new holland tractor it has a 5' wide front bucket, my new holland dealer has told me he could put a similar grapple like yours, my other option is to take my front bucket off and get a complete (top and bottom) grapple. Does the bottom teeth that are attached to the bottom of your bucket help to grab the logs? Are the teeth welded on, or could they be taken off, I do a lot of driveway repair, grading etc. I am a dealer for firewood processors and I need something that can set logs on top of a log deck for processing. Also approximately how many 8" to 10" logs (8' long) do you think you could get in your bucket at once. It looks like the side of the bucket would get in the way of holding the logs very well versus having the complete grapple system. Your set up looks great by the way.

Last edited:
Does the bottom teeth that are attached to the bottom of your bucket help to grab the logs? Are the teeth welded on, or could they be taken off, I do a lot of driveway repair, grading etc. I am a dealer for firewood processors and I need something that can set logs on top of a log deck for processing. Also approximately how many 8" to 10" logs (8' long) do you think you could get in your bucket at once. It looks like the side of the bucket would get in the way of holding the logs very well versus having the complete grapple system. Your set up looks great by the way.

My brother has a 90 Hp Kubota with forks on the bottom and a top down grapple. He can get up to 5 fourty foot logs in his jaws if the logs are sized correctly. The whole assembly can come off with the normal quick clip system. He loads the deck of his Timberwolf processor with no problem and can gently roll the logs off the forks onto the deck of the processor without letting them drop. I have loaded his log deck using his tractor a few times and it is not hard to learn or do at all. Dropping logs onto a log deck is very, very bad. A little force down from a log can bend a lot of stuff really quickly.

A friend of mine has a skid steer with short tines about 15" (rough guess) on the bottom and top down grapple and I watched him load some walnut logs of mine onto a bandsaw mill with no problems. He pinched the logs with the tine tips and the grapple and was able to pick a ~20" diameter log up like it was a pencil.

curlycherry1

thanks for that info, I will talk to my new holland dealer, I would like to keep my front bucket on but I dont want to drop logs on the log deck like you said. We are planning on using the front bucket to load trucks and trailers with when people come to pick up firewood. The pictures my new holland dealer faxed me just dont look like it will work that well with the top grapple only attached to my bucket. Those teeth that turkeyslayer has on his bucket looks like they might help pick up logs. My biggest concern like you suggested is to let the logs down gently on the deck. Thanks again curlycherry1

Well how do you like your tractor now that you have had it a while Turkeyslayer. That is a nice load of wood you have there. Any issues with the winch yet? Just wondering some day I would like a setup like yours.

Beefie

The tooth bar is a bolt on item http://www.horstwelding.com/hla_items.php?id=68. And as for picking up multiple logs I think a grapple fork or "double grapple would work better than the bucket. It works ok but to pick up multiple logs I have to tilt the bucket all the way down with the grapple open, then set it down over the logs and close the grapple. It can be kind of a pain but it does the trick for me. If unloading on a log deck I wouldnt want more than a couple at a time with the bucket to be able top set them down gently.:)

Well how do you like your tractor now that you have had it a while Turkeyslayer. That is a nice load of wood you have there. Any issues with the winch yet? Just wondering some day I would like a setup like yours.

Beefie

The only issues I have had with the tractor are the front driveshaft seal had a slow leak, which was fixed under warrenty (same day service:clap:) and the fittings for the steering cylinder came a little loose and was dripping fluid(which I noticed and tightened, problem solved:)). It would also be nice if the fuel tank was a little bigger, I think it only holds around 10 gallons. Other than that it has been excellent. IMO it is the perfect setup for what I am doing and I would buy the same tractor in a heartbeat.

The winch is simply AMAZING, many of the hickory trees in the pics were pulled through the fencerow using the winch. And all were skidded to the landing with it. It impresses me more every day. The only problem I have had with it is the cable frayed about half way down its length and I had to cut it shorter. I have a 1/2 inch cable to replace the 3/8 cable if it breaks or frays again. I still have about 80' on the winch. I called Wallenstein to make sure the 1/2 was compatible and was told it was so I will see if it is any more durable.

Does the bottom teeth that are attached to the bottom of your bucket help to grab the logs?.........
Also approximately how many 8" to 10" logs (8' long) do you think you could get in your bucket at once.

The teeth help immensely.

I would guess I could pick up around 6 to 8 logs under ideal conditions? And 4 quite easily

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a skid steer with short tines about 15" (rough guess) on the bottom and top down grapple and I watched him load some walnut logs of mine onto a bandsaw mill with no problems. He pinched the logs with the tine tips and the grapple and was able to pick a ~20" diameter log up like it was a pencil.

The grapple is very powerful, as long as the loader will lift it, the grapple will hold it. Many of the smaller trees in the pictures were picked up and mved to the landing with the grapple, that way I didnt have to get off the tractor to choke and unchoke the logs. It is also very helpful for compressing and piling the limbs in the fencerow.

Turkeyslayer, as we get into wet conditions with the spring thaw remember to wipe you winch cable with oil periodically. A well lubed cable allows the fibers to slide against each other and make the cable flexible. Once it gets rusted it will get very stiff. I used to just us old motor oil and a rag and unspool the cable and wipe the rag along it, then go back to using it and it stayed nice and nimble.

I am helping a friend clear about 2 acres and we sure could use a setup like you have where we are at. Instead we are dropping and blocking in place and will go in this summer and pick everything up on a PU truck and haul it out. That is not going to be fun. I covet your winch and tractor. :cry:

turkeyslayer

Your information has been quite helpful, I can get the top grapple attached to the bucket for about 1/2 the price of the double grapple. Along with those teeth, I think I can get by like that. If I can load 2 to 3 logs at a time on the log deck, I should be ok. We use a small log arch to get our logs out of the woods, my next step will be a winch on my tractor. What a great set up you have. thanks again

glassman

Having a top grapple gives you the option of still using the bucket. I have a grapple on the big bucket on my 656 and it will pick up even a small log by tilting the bucket.

The size of your tractor allows a lot of versatility in the woods. Mine is a beast, but is too big in some spots. With a winch like that, I could clean out a steep canyon that a friend has that is untouchable, but full of dead elm.

Great purchase! You obviously put some thought into it.:clap:

You will not find an American tractor. Some are made here, but no tractor company is now American owned.

Back