New Tractor and Winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, wont be until the morning. We tried pulling one of the trees out yesterday with a ford 9000, then a case 580 backhoe loader, neither would even budge the log. The winch will get them in the morning.

Last night and today I have been helping a friend strip down a moose rack that his wifes grandfather shot in the 60's. It was varnished and he is striping it to be remounted for his house.
Stripping the old varnish off.
attachment.php

Before.
attachment.php

Almost done, just needs to be wiped down with paint thinner, then off to the taxidermist.
attachment.php

Last but not least

Well I got the last of the white pines pulled out of the gully today. This one was the biggest at 33" at the but 20" at the small end, and 55' long. This log was getting near the max of what I can pull out of the ravine with the winch, it got dug in hard on a root and did require an extra tug with the ford 9000. Once moving the winch was able to pull it out on its own.
Here is a pic of the tree in the gully, it is about 15' above the bottom and goes from one side to the other.
attachment.php

Here are some pics of the log in the field. I parked my truck right next to the log for scale.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That is a good size log Turkey. How has the tractor been holding up for you. If I can ask what is the outside width tire to tire overall.

Beefie

Hi Beefie, no problems with the tractor I am right at the 200 hr mark. At 250 hours it goes back to the dealer for its service. The tires are set at 66" I believe. It is the same width as the bucket which is handy when pushing rounds or breaking trail.

Hey TS, how many oil changes between 50 and 200? I know guys who have done three and some have done none. Just curious.

You got to be kidding me. Your bucket is only 66" wide . For some reason I thought that there whould be a 72" bucket and the tires whould be 70 -76" outside to outside. If that is true I am going to look even harder to find one of these tractors.

Beefie

Hey TS, how many oil changes between 50 and 200? I know guys who have done three and some have done none. Just curious.

I keep an eye on the oil, but my dealer told me not to bother changing it until the 250hr service. It still looks very clean right now.

You got to be kidding me. Your bucket is only 66" wide . For some reason I thought that there whould be a 72" bucket and the tires whould be 70 -76" outside to outside. If that is true I am going to look even harder to find one of these tractors.

Beefie

My bad, I just looked in my manual with shuttle shift tranny 74" at the widest point (66" for the 8x2 tranny) and my bucket is 66" wide. It is a very nimble package in the woods. I travel down my quad trails no problem, on the really narrow spots I just go slow and help steer with the brakes.

Turkey

What store did you get your wallenstein winch from. Was it really $3000

Turkey

What store did you get your wallenstein winch from. Was it really $3000

I got it from Deys Equipment Center, and yes it was $3000. I got a price for the tractor first then sprung the winch on them after, but I did buy the package so that might be why I got such a good deal. I also got 5 choker chains thrown in on the deal. Here is a link to a place selling them at a good price http://www.atkinsonmaple.com/catalogue/forestry/for_the_woodlot I am one of those guys that doesnt like to pay the sticker price for anything, and most people are willing to bargain to make a sale, one in the hand is better then two in the bush.

I think I got such a great deal because I also bought the tractor/loader/grapple so they could afford to take a bit of a hit on the winch because they were making their money on the tractor combo. But I am sure any dealer can do better than the advertised retail price.

Turkeyslayer, Mind telling me what you paid for the grapple or was it a package deal? I have a Kubota L35 and found a new 66" stone tine bucket with top grapple like yours on it for $1500. I think the price is cheap enough considering it is new and looks well built. Might be a Horst but never found the nameplate and no HLA on it anywhere that I see. They also have a 4 way front bucket and the plumbing to fit my tractor for sale but we haven't decided on a price yet. I don't really need the 4 way but could find uses for it of course.
I like your bucket but I think the stone tine type allows the crap to fall out and keeps the wood cleaner.

All right, it has been almost two years since you bought this tractor Turkey slayer. How is it holding up, is the grapple still working good, and how has the winch been holding up. Just checking.

Beefie

Every time I see this thread, I have grapple envy, I must also confess that my tractor with 275 hrs has had six oil changes.

All right, it has been almost two years since you bought this tractor Turkey slayer. How is it holding up, is the grapple still working good, and how has the winch been holding up. Just checking.

Beefie

Time does fly, but its only been 1 year;) The tractor has been working flawlessly. I used it this spring to help with field work, and have been using it all summer for trail building/maintenance, driveway maintenance and firewood duties. The grapple is still working good, as is the winch.
I leave the winch for when I am using the loader, because it makes for great ballast. Without it the tractor feels very back end light with a load in the bucket.
If I was to do it again I really dont think I would change anything. For my situation it is the perfect setup.

Hey turkey, how's the firewood sales?
I'm still fooling around with my tractor. Bought a 72" concrete demo bucket with grapple on it, way too heavy for my little L35 so I sold it. Now I've got a new 72" stone fork that works real nice, a new 72" bucket and a new 66" bucket with grapple on it. Of course I don't have the grapple plumbed up yet so it's sitting on my fenceline. Gonna be a winter project I guess, summer was way too busy and gone too fast. Haven't had much luck buying logs or tops yet but I haven't tried too hard either. Bought a couple of small loads of logs for firewood for myself. My buddy is still selling a bit of firewood but he has a problem with the quarantine now, his bushes are in Huron County and he lives across the road which is Bruce County. Can't transport across county lines, legally can't even burn his own wood. Everyone keeps saying the price of wood is going to drop because of all the ash that's going to be available but I don't see how it can go down hardly any. The price of the logs is already at a breakeven point now. I pay $300 for a 10 face cord load of ash logs delivered to my yard, I don't see how the guy makes any money.

Latest posts

Back