New Trimmer/Brushcutter Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannon51

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm giving my tired Deere/Homelite BC1600 to my son and getting a new one. I'd like to have a straight shaft, 2 stroke capable of occasional brush blade use comparable to the one I had. I think I paid $179 for this one in the spring of '03 and it has worked very well for me. Will I have to go to a commercial grade to get away from the enviro crap? I don't want to spend $400 on a new Stihl but I want another one that will last another 10 years. View attachment 290634Recommendations
Cannon

Strange, I was just shopping for the very same. I currently have an Echo 210 trimmer, kits at Home Depot won't work. The last thing I want is another piece of equipment. I'm a heartbeat away from the PP at Wally World. Very interested to see where this thread goes.

Strange, I was just shopping for the very same. I currently have an Echo 210 trimmer, kits at Home Depot won't work. The last thing I want is another piece of equipment. I'm a heartbeat away from the PP at Wally World. Very interested to see where this thread goes.

Open the muffler up on that 210 and you'll see a big difference. I have a couple 230's I did this to.I run a blade on one and string on the other. I also have a Shinny T27 and an Echo SRM400 that never get touched now.

I have a husqvarna 128 I use for brush blades and string trimming. I had to do a muffler mod/ cat delete to get it to wake up. And wake up it did! Had it 3 years thus far and keeps me happy.

Redmax BCZ2460S. I have many commercial user friends who have these (well, the 2401...same thing) that are going on 10 years old and have had NO issues. Awesome machines. Buy the three cans of gas for a 4 year warranty.

If your just gonna wee eat, I liked a buddies Echo 230 more than my fs250. The 230 layed the grass down better and was much lighter. the bigger 250 is more suited to tall 3ft. heavy grass.

I recommend the Stihl FS-250 bike handle, if you like loops better, its much easier and cheaper to switch to loop than to bike, find the parts on ebay. You could probably find a good used one for your budget. It won't leave you looking for more power but the vibes can be tiring if you choose to run without the guard. They may be soon replaced by newer stratified charge versions from the European market. FS120,200,250 (4134 family) are very robust engines with a great track record. last year I bought a new FS250 and ran chisel blades clearing saplings during the winter months and an Autocut head for the growing season. Ive used it on the majority of the jobs I do and find it very versatile. I like it but, If I had to buy it again, I would have stepped up to the FS350 with an anti vibe housing and a tougher gearbox that can run shredder blades. Otherwise, I also have a Shindaiwa T242, they had some choke plate and fuel filter problems when they first came out, but has since been resolved. Negate the poor reviews on these as the issues have been resolved, mine is smooth as silk, quiet, well balanced, and never given me a problem, way more comfy to use than my FS-85R. You and also convert this to a bike handle.

Having said that, I did convert my 250 to the FS350-480 antivibe system. Got the parts on ebay. I had to swap clutch drums and add a 1.125 sleeve to the drive tube. Heres some pics. Major improvement in comfort.

View attachment 290644View attachment 290645View attachment 290646

Last edited:
Another vote for fs250.Not overly Heavy but will cut anything.Not sure on how much longer they will be available due to the 4 mix Switch.Been thinking of going and getting another just to set back for later use.
Tanakas are good too.Got a 340 tcb never had a lick of trouble out of it.

I have a husqvarna 128 I use for brush blades and string trimming. I had to do a muffler mod/ cat delete to get it to wake up. And wake up it did! Had it 3 years thus far and keeps me happy.

Same exact thing with my 326L. My first experience with a "commercial" trimmer. I use it primarily for brush/weeds with .105 line, and works great. Really good filtration, and it'll run all day strong in the Texas summer. Also the first trimmer I've ever had that doesn't put my hands to sleep! Paid just under $300 online 3 yrs ago. My HT131 has the stihl "4 mix" engine, and it would make a great brush cutting engine, very torquey, but pricey. Prolly can't go too wrong with a $300 commercial trimmer from any of the major players

Back