new use for a chainsaw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooterbum

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
"Take the chain off of a chainsaw, start it up and stick it in the ground. Worms run to the top. Can't stand the vibration."

Found this while looking for ways to catch nightcrawlers........

Anybody ever try this?

Be honest:blob2:

361 bogs to much without the chain, sprocket has to much surface area dragn through the air

Husky 372 makes the chineese call and complain about the dishes falling off the shelf, and trips local seismographic sensors on the power grid.

Gonna have to use a Stihl next time I need fish bait. :D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

No but 2 metal bars/pins pushed into the ground around 4-6 feet apart then connect the hot side to one and the neutral side to the other, next plug it into a 110/120 v outlet and watch the worms become air borne .LOL
Pioneerguy600

No, but when we were kids my grandad would always stick a piece of #9
wire in one hole on the end of a heavy extension cord and stick it in the ground, then plug it in, the worms will crawl up then to!

We used to shock for night crawlers all the time when we were kids...My mom had the greenest grass in town b/c my brother and I would water daily to make sure we had our fishing worms...

No but 2 metal bars/pins pushed into the ground around 4-6 feet apart then connect the hot side to one and the neutral side to the other, next plug it into a 110/120 v outlet and watch the worms become air borne .LOL
Pioneerguy600

Wont the fuse or circuit breaker trip? Ive heard of using handcranked generators but not plugging into the grid. Should I water the gras then stand in my bare feet and plug the cord in? :confused:

Wont the fuse or circuit breaker trip? Ive heard of using handcranked generators but not plugging into the grid. Should I water the gras then stand in my bare feet and plug the cord in? :confused:

No to the tripping, there is enough current drop through the soil so that it won`t trip, best not to handle the hot side with bare hands while plugged in. LOL. Wet soil works only marginally better than regular moist soil where worms like to live. Heavy vibration does bring them up to the surface. We run some of the big one lungers here sometimes for Sh--s and giggles and the worms beat a hasty retreat from the area around the base sills when the engines are running.You can imagine the shaking that a 10" single cylinder kicking over 300 lb 36" dual flywheels can cause running from 300-600 RPM.
Pioneerguy600

To heck with playing with electricity. Go behind the dog pens where rain water has been washing the stuff through the wire into the natural area. Kick a pile of leaves back and wala.....they are everywhere. All in my yard and especially behind the hound area. When it gets dry in the summer just dig down three or four inches and there they are.

No to the tripping, there is enough current drop through the soil so that it won`t trip, best not to handle the hot side with bare hands while plugged in. LOL. Wet soil works only marginally better than regular moist soil where worms like to live. Heavy vibration does bring them up to the surface. We run some of the big one lungers here sometimes for Sh--s and giggles and the worms beat a hasty retreat from the area around the base sills when the engines are running.You can imagine the shaking that a 10" single cylinder kicking over 300 lb 36" dual flywheels can cause running from 300-600 RPM.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, Are you into "hit and miss" engines too?

What about Listers?

If you pee on the grass while you're doing it you prevent it from tripping. :dizzy:

"Take the chain off of a chainsaw, start it up and stick it in the ground. Worms run to the top. Can't stand the vibration."

Found this while looking for ways to catch nightcrawlers........

Anybody ever try this?

Be honest:blob2:

If you rewired a heated handle saw you could shock them too. That would get them moving!

Vibration, we're talking about Stihl's ?

Last edited:
Back