New website

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to be the caboose, but I'd like critical comments on my website for our family business, Crawford Tree & Landscape Services and for the SSA branch at our school, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point. Both websites need complete overhauls, and some feedback before I start would be great!

I still consider myself pretty new at websites, and I always love comments, good or bad. Also, I'm designing the Wisconsin Arborist Association website and the International Student Society of Arboriculture website. If anyone has some material, articles or pictures, feel free to send them to me so I can incorporate them.

Never did I think my little bit of knowledge of computers and websites would be so useful, but it certainly has helped me in the industry and will continue to be of help all of my life.

Nickrosis

hey nickrosis,
i like the site. you might want to add some sort of
background on the 1st site but other than that, very
cool. i like how y'all were offering free 1/2 hour
consultations this winter to drum up some business.
do you really charge $65.oo per 1/2 hour???? what do
you offer in your consultations????? i only charge $30.
maybe i should up anty????
peace,
budroe:cool:

Nickrosis, Thats alot of info! I've looked at it 3 times now and still didn't read it all, might be a turn off to some people? On the first page maybe change some of the fonts so it doesn't blend together. The logo on top looks good but looks kinda lonely up there the only thing with color. Lots of good information.:)

What's offered in the consultations? The complete answer is written up in the Crawford Consulting section of the website. Briefly, consulting work can range from a one-on-one teaching-style appointment to a slide show for your neighborhood. In fact, we encourage people to invite others and split the cost.

We offer the discount annually, and during the busy season, we don't really need anything else to do. In the bigger picture, this is part of my dad's goal of educating the public, and educating them with valid information!

Nickrosis
Vote for your favorite rigging device!
www.uwsp.edu/stuorg/ssa

Brett

Great site, couldn't help noticing under removals section, (weather?) alt. whether. To have put this post to you is new ground for me as I am a hopeless spella.;)

Awesome, Alot of info there too! Good stuff, how do the people that have contacted you through the site react to all the technical terms? Do they ask what certain terms mean? Nice layout too. A couple things, No picture on the cambium saver link and on the tips part- to safely to? Should be do . The part about the co's not needing to go door to door is very good. I'm tempted to put a page of why not to hire these guys but think it will just look too negative. Maybe one day I'll make a sep. site about the hacks!

Some of the guys going door to door are startups, not nessesarily unskilled.

Maybe change the "can they provide proof of coverage" to "can they provide a current certificate of insurance."

Then describe that this should be mailed directly from the broker/agent. A copy of an old certificate may not be valid.

I will call my broker and have one mailed as soon as someone asks. I might as well get something for the policy I've never filed a claim on.:D

Todd,

Good eye! I had never noticed that error in the tips section before. thanks. As far as the cambium saver pic, yea I know I need to get one in there.
JPS, i realize that door knockers may just be hungary and not necasarilly unskilled, however from my experience 95% of these guys soliciting door to door are only out for one thing quick, easy money. My approach is that by entrusting me to care for your trees, you are gaining experience and knowledge and I will recommend what is the best for your trees even if that means no sale to me. By gaining their trust and providing valuable information and data, I am pretty confident that I have gained a client, whether that means purchasing my services today, or one year from now. Besides around here the hacks will go to any extent to low ball the work away from you. When someone asks me about door knockers, I tell them right out to be careful, i also tell them that just because they knock doors does not mean they are a hack, but just be careful in who you hire. I also explain that my company is local, and we are in it for the long haul. if you want a working relationship with a reputable arborist who will be available to care for your trees over a duration of time, our company can do this. If you do not care about your trees, are only shopping for lowest cost, and do not see the value in hiring an arborist, then hiring "whoever" is entirely up to you. I then remind them to compare apples to oranges, whenever comparison shopping.
Personally i like competition, quality competition, i will not be offended at all if they hire someone else who does good work. I will usually ask who if the sale goes to someone else, because i know who else is providing good work in the area , and i know who the fly by nights are. (one thing i should mention, is that i will never mention names when talking about the potential for bad services) Always stay positive and do not slam any company about the work they do, no matter how terrible it may be. Rather point out the do and donts in general about proper treecare and let them draw the conclusion about who the better arborist or company will be.
For the most part, i've found that people looking online for an arborist or tree service are doing so to get more technical information than the typical yellow page call. They are looking online because they want proper arboriculture and not lowest price. My site conveys to them exactly what we provide and a lot of the time the sale is made even before i get to their property.

I have not thoroughly tracked it, but im willing to bet my sale rate to callers who came from my website is in the 90% range, not bad for my cheapest (and most extensive) form of advertising.

jsir,
i'm new to the field of arboriculture, i'm studying for the ISA exam, i'm a florida certified nursery professional & have been working in the nursery biz and after 9 years, i've decieded to branch out (no pun intended). i just started my business a few monthes ago and i'm one of those "door knockers". at the end of a job, i take the time to hit the neighbor's houses and hang door know hangers advertising my business (thanks john paul). i know that i'm new to the biz, but i care, and take the time to do what's right, i'm not out just to make the sale. i'm totally psyched about this new venture and i'm in it for the long haul.
budroe the door knocker:cool:
p.s. how did you get your start?????

Last edited:
Im not saying knocking doors is entirely a bad thing. I know good arboriculture can come from anyone who truley wants to provide good work. I have also distributed door hangers to homes surrounding our work area, many times. It is a great way to get work. But unless I see something that I feel should be addressed immiediatly(safety concern), I draw the line at physically knocking on someones door to solicit work. I have had theys guys knock on my door before, what an invasion! Do you like solicitors knocking on your door? Does it matter what they're selling?
No it does not matter. I dont know about you guys but I've never had a reputable plumber, carpenter, or electrician knocking doors on my street offering "deals" because they are in the neighborhood knocking on everyone else's door too! What a crock, I watch these guys all the time. They drive in anywhere from 1-300 miles away, stay at the super 8, knock doors from sun up to sun down, and literally rip people off! (Again , let me stress, just because you knock doors does put into this category, im just explianing some of my experiences. )
90% of the work i see by these out of town door knockers is of hack quality. Lions tailing, topping, spiking, flush cuts, tear cuts, you name it.
Last year, I received a call from a little old lady in my town. She needed a diseased Red oak tree removed from her back yard. I got her an estimate and she hired us to remove the tree. There also were many other Red Oaks in yard all at risk due too possible root graft trnasmission. the suurounding trees had been injected and we removed the diseased tree. I did the removal, and another reputable PHC company I use did the injections. the woman told me how she had to take out a home equity mortgage to pay for all of this work. When I was removing the tree, I had noticed fresh gaff injuries to the trunk, and i questioned the woman about this. Well you can see where im going dont you?
Yes door knockers from out of town, took advantage of her. They told her she had better remove a few sizeable pieces of deadwood right -away from her oak tree. She was a little familiar with OW and questioned them, they replied "as long as we only cut deadwood, the tree wont even notice", what they did not mention to her was that the use of gaffs to enter the tree IN MAY, is no less risky. This is what makes me mad:angry:
like i siad before i do not have any problems losing work to or competing with other good arborists, but these guys just give us all a bad name, and it pisses me off!
Budroe, if you are providing good work, and are an ethical person, there is nothing wrong with knocking doors when you are hungary. Personally though I cannot.
John

ps - Im no stranger to being hungery, my company is a little less than 2 years old.

I will sometimes knock on a door, say in a neighborhood where we've done or about to do work. I will usually compliment them on their landscape and offer suggestions to improve it, consulting, etc. Or, leave a card, informing them of name of the neighbor we're working for, and appx ETA. I get lots of call backs and a high percentage of jobs. But door ot door, or doing it a lot, no way.

Targeted direct mail, especially to individual homes that you've checked out, should provide the highest returnsof any form of advertising. The reverse directory is great for this. Trouble is, I've never done it, too much of a ski bum, I reckon....!

I think the differance is Budroe is not nessesarily knocking on doors, but distributing marketing material to neighbors of his customer.

In many comunities i think knocking on doors is peddaling an is illegal in most places anyways.

When Budroe gets a bucket truch he wont have to knock on doors, Just park in a neighborhood. The mall has the same effect i think. :D

Nice site Todd.
Brett likewise but I have a couple of questions: Stump grinding $2.00 per inch-diameter or circumference or square or cubic (I presume diameter but it isn't specified) Secondly, Just below grade??? My standard is 6"-8" below grade-enough depth to plant flowers or grow healthy grass. I realize that I am in a much drier climate with a shorter growing season and different grasses but I don't understand why you would stop so shallow. I am in the ROCKY mountains with lots of tooth eating rocks. I usually quote my stumps as individual jobs based on various factors,but if someone wants a sight unseen price I charge $1 per inch circumference.(you have to explain that that means around the outside at ground level-such is the quality of some people's education.):rolleyes:

I posted my reply without noticing that there were pages I hadn't read.:rolleyes: Nice stuff all!
I sometimes drive hundreds of miles and knock on doors looking for work. I DO NOT treat people dishonorably. I do not hard sell or dupe people. I concentrate on stumps since they are obvious eyesores and the work will very obviously be done as descibed (or not). I do other work at the customers request. If I do it I want to do it right.
I run into the drunks and con artists like you guys do, but, please remember -not every person beating the bushes is a crook-some of us are honest guys trying to make an honest living!:angel:

Latest posts

Back