new wood puller.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends how often you'll haul it, and how you'll get it there.

If you're thinking this is going to charge on it's own behind the Allis, you'll need 30:1 for 4mph charging, and that drive would need to be removed for highway speed or you're going to send something into orbit when it fails!

I was thinking this would get hauled on the road enough to charge it. Maybe some jumpers from the tractor would be a better option?

true that! second opp. is to just run a lone long wire from the tractor bat. to the trailer battery supply...cheaper and faster fix , except for tangled an broken wires getting tangled in the brush. besides this set up creates a need for a second loader tractor or skidster designated for the landing for piling and sorting logs to loading logs on the trucks and tandem trailers.... other wise it's pull/skid logs till the landing gets full and then unhook the trailer from the tractor and repeat again!! not a good choice !

Why isn't unhooking the skidder a good idea?

Seems like you'd only be doing it a few times a day when things got backed up. Maybe just getting a second battery would be a better idea? Then bring the batteries home to charge at night? Swap out a fresh one in the morning and bring the used one home.

It's hard to say how much that winch will draw down the battery in a day until you actually use it. Might be good for a couple days per charge?

time is everything when moving material! two working pieces of equipment produces more then one trying to do the work of two!! it's not the battery as a problem just the switching duties of the tractor! twice is actually 4 when hooking and unhooking equipment... batteries are a dime a half dozen you might say for the son and I!! lol either way it's time to up the game to two working mule's instead of one.

For a tree butcher you have some pretty fair welding skills!
lol thanks ! I do the best I can with what I have on hand... it's really not all that hard as long as you use the same grade of material new, old an rusted galvanized so on... it would be better if I could keep my eye's open on a long bead weld but after 30 seconds all I can see is the sun, even in the middle of the darkest night? lol so in all not to bad for a blind man with no vision...

I'm curious why you went under it instead of adding to the existing frame from the side?
it's all below the main frame with little to weld to so this is the fastest and cheapest way to go. the tube will be the base for the mount of the alt. and or gearing to up/down the rpm's on the alt... the tube is also above the bottom of the third member on the axel so it wont bottom out on a higher stump. the metal was a strong 20.00 bill so not to much wasted material! expanded metal on the tire savers and should be a good step? still need to round off some of them square corners for protection of head wounds ? !! safety first I suppose? hey

I don't think your alternator will ever keep up.

Maybe get a 5hp cheap engine and run it to charge the batteries? That'll eat some gas all day though.

this piece of equipment will be a limited use for long pulls on a round trip so not worried about it not keeping up on short hauls from the back of a 600 foot pull....it also will probably only pull 10 to 12 doubles or triples a day on the longer skids. it's just been a thought that has been rolling around in my wore out gear box for some time!! lol

Latest posts

Back