New Wood Shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100 Watt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally had the time (and weather) to build the lean-to across the back of my barn. 50 degrees here in Ohio on Friday! Took 3 of us @ 8 hours. I had dug the post holes a week earlier, so that helped out. It's 13'x60'. About half of it will be used to store wood and my splitter. The remaining half will house my 3 point implements and tractors. No more tarps for me. I can't wait to fill it. I need to have @ 6-7 cords ready for next year. I'm planning on using pallets to stack my wood on. Now the real fun starts.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

NICE SHED. A friend of mine used angle iron and plywood to build three sided skids...he uses them to fill up with wood then he just picks them up with a three point carry all and hauls it to the house and sets it in the garage for use....makes handling the wood easier, especially when snowing...
Check out the salvage yards and the local farm auctions maybe you can pick up some angle to build some of your own..

Last edited:
If you want your wood to dry faster, and your equipment to stay in better shape, put plastic sheeting (vapor barrier) on the ground and cover it with gravel.

A huge amount of moisture comes up through the ground and the plastic sheeting will stop that from happening. If you want to confirm what I am saying - place a sheet of clear plastic on the ground and watch how much moisture collects on the bottom of the plastic. The ground may appear dry at the surface before you place your equipment or start piling wood under the roof - but that is because the air flow is not restricted. As soon as you start placing pallets, wood or equipment on the dirt you will restrict the air flow and the moisture will start collecting on the bottom of the wood and your equipment.

oneoldbanjo,
You make a good point. I am getting ready to start filling up a 20'X24' pole shed with wood stacked 8' high as soon as the rest of this season's firewood sells out. That will be a total of 30 cords. I want the best drying conditions possible without spending a boatload of money. The wood should be well-seasoned after it sits through the dry Texas heat all summer, and I don't want moisture coming up through the ground and rotting the wood near the ground.

I think I might use a few heavy duty tarps with the ends staked into the ground to do the same thing. I want something that won't move around on me and won't tear easily. Anyone have some other cost-effective ideas?

Gravel on top of heavy landscape plastic is probably the best. More work and money, but you'd be doing it right and once and for all.
The plastic blocks the moisture from rising and the gravel works like a protector for the plastic and helps keep any run-off water away from the surface (drainage).
Gravel or concrete patio slabs sound good.
You could also make removable wooden wall sections(would act like gates) that hook to the columns to keep out driving rain and weather, leaving the top and small spot at bottom of walls open for air flow. They would open like gates to get at the wood or implements. That way your equipment would be secure and out of sight too.
~Stan

Good looking addition 100 Watt. Tarps SUCK!!! You'll love how much dryer the wood will be.:rock: You can pour concrete in it next year...:hmm3grin2orange:

You guys are right on with the visqueen(sp?) and gravel. I plan on doing that in the spring. I need to wait for the winter to finish tearing up my gravel driveway, and I'll get a load or two. Thanks for the comments.

Also, my barn cat, Lucky, is really looking forward to patrolling the woodpile for meeces. He definately will be earning his keep. I hope.

Looks good . Thats a lot of room. Glad to see the tractor inside. I love tractors and hate to see them outside rotting away.

wood shed

It looks like two of us took advantage of the warm weather last week. I had a tree fall on my back garage this summer and while rebuilding I added some storage and dry area. I am sick of tarps as well. This is much smaller, but I am excited about using it. It is 12 X 22 with a concrete floor, lights etc

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

Must've been a heck of a tree, Hautions, looks like a brand new building! Nice work there. Hopefully you punished it by adding it to the woodpile.

Nice work.

Tarps aren't a good moisture barrier, and heavy mil plastic will be well worth the price if you can cover it with gravel. Tarps as DIY roll down curtains can be effective to keep out the blowing rain....

Pallets fashioned into modular baskets might be a good idea if you have a ways to go between storage and the firebox....

GeeVee

Wood Shed

100 Watt, It flattened it. Here are some pictures. Total loss.

garage.jpg

garagebackview.jpg

I did have homeowner coverage. Smashed my stihl 064 saw too. Upgraded the garage with 10% square footage, 2' of wall height, the 12 X 22 overhang for wood and tractor storage, insulation, 220 wiring, etc etc etc. Still pocketed some $ for a 044 to 046 BB conversion and woods port. I love seeing the cherry chunks going in the furnace. I saved a 10' length for milling. Fun so far.

Latest posts

Back