new wood shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jrclen

jrclen

ArboristSite Operative
Here is the new wood shed. I used pallets and a tarp last year. We used to store the wood in the basement when we burned wood full time. I converted that wood room to a rec room. Now for some cutting and splitting. I haul the blocks in with the tractor and split right behind the shed and toss it in. My wife stacks it.

jrclen

jrclen

ArboristSite Operative
Hey, nice!
What are the rough dimensions of the shed (length, depth, height at tall and short ends of roof)?

8 foot wide, 20 foot long. 1 foot pitch in the roof, side to side. I made the lowest corner 6 foot 6 under the roof stringer so I could walk into and around it anywhere without ducking or bumping my head. The highest corner is around 8 foot where the ground tapers down. I chose the 8 x 20 so I could put 2 rows of 5 pallets inside with a little room to spare. The tin on top is 10 foot sheets that hang over almost a foot on each side. I needed 5 10 foot posts and 3 12 foot to get then in the ground between 2 and 3 feet. I set the posts first, digging the holes, putting in the 4x4 treated post, and dumping in a bag of concrete. Then the next day I framed in the top with 2x6's running the long way and 2x4's across between the posts 4 foot on center. Finished up by running more 2x4's in the center down the length to fasten the roof to. Cost was around $300. and I missed the sale prices on everything. As usual.

wdchuck

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
If there is a next time for a tin roof, check out the metal scrap dealers, or metal yards, they often sell runoffs for salvage price, ridiculously cheap, just can't be choosy about color.

jrclen

jrclen

ArboristSite Operative
If there is a next time for a tin roof, check out the metal scrap dealers, or metal yards, they often sell runoffs for salvage price, ridiculously cheap, just can't be choosy about color.

That's true. There is a place not to faraway that sells odd lots of building steel for very reasonable prices. I would have saved a little on the roof there. Probably not enough to pay for the extra gas though. We covered part of my wife's uncle's barn with that stuff and it looks good and was very cheap. Some of the sheets were slightly off in color but after fading a little over a couple years, it's not noticable. Good point.

Butch(OH)

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just priced some tin for my new wood shed (photos on the way) $1.90 per foot cut to legnth, lays 36". For what they call "rainbow" or odds and ends price is a right at a buck/ft. These prices are about 1/2 Lowes or Depo which was $41 per 10' sheet last I looked.

jrclen

jrclen

ArboristSite Operative
Just priced some tin for my new wood shed (photos on the way) $1.90 per foot cut to legnth, lays 36". For what they call "rainbow" or odds and ends price is a right at a buck/ft. These prices are about 1/2 Lowes or Depo which was $41 per 10' sheet last I looked.

We have an outfit called Menards here. The tin was 1.76 per foot for galvanized finished. Painted was more. It was on sale for 1.29 a while back but I missed it. A buck sounds good, who cares what color it is.