newbee chainsaw help (again)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FDB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hopefully i can get some pointers or some tips cause i am starting to get a tad bit frusturated about my cuts while bucking up rounds. The types of wood I am bucking up varies but mainly fir, maple, a little oak, and some alder. As of lately my cuts on my bigger rounds have not been even. They start out even then eventually slant. I dont know if it is me or my saw. I am running an 044 with a 28in oregon bar, I also run a skip tooth chain (and i have the same problem with a brand new chain). Is this my techinique or is it the saw. I guess I just need some more practice. I have some 3 1/2 -4 ft maple rounds that i am scared to buck up so i dont mess them up. Any pointers or what i am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. I wish there were classes or something.

Hopefully i can get some pointers or some tips cause i am starting to get a tad bit frusturated about my cuts while bucking up rounds. The types of wood I am bucking up varies but mainly fir, maple, a little oak, and some alder. As of lately my cuts on my bigger rounds have not been even. They start out even then eventually slant. I dont know if it is me or my saw. I am running an 044 with a 28in oregon bar, I also run a skip tooth chain (and i have the same problem with a brand new chain). Is this my techinique or is it the saw. I guess I just need some more practice. I have some 3 1/2 -4 ft maple rounds that i am scared to buck up so i dont mess them up. Any pointers or what i am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. I wish there were classes or something.

Sounds like the bar rails are uneven.

Gary

Most likely uneven bar rails, or the bar is too wide between the rails, compared to the drive tangs on the chain (wrong gauge or worn wide), if it happens with new chain also.
Otherwise it could also be different angles or cutter lenght on each side of the chain.

Could also be a worn out anti-vibe bushing.

Last edited:
So what do I look for? Would be able to tell If I snapped a few photos of the bar?

Take it off and look down the bar, or put a straight edge on it. You will notice the uneven rails. One will be higher than the other.

Have you ever flipped the bar over?

Gary

OK, I just took it off and it "appears" the everything is even. Is there a more precise way to know. Here are a few pics I just snapped.

Doesn't look too bad really, but do I see a slight lean to the right, seen from the front?.....

Does the "crookedness" go the same way all the time, or does it vary?

Another thing, do you file of the "wire edges" that turn up at the outer edges of the rails? If they are there, file them off, and set it on a flat surfase again, afterwards.......

Last edited:
Yes the "crookedness" goes the same way all they time. Not sure what you meant about filing? If i lay it flat shouldn't that tell me if its bent.

If it were me... I'd buy a new bar... but that's me.:)

I don't like messin' around with bent bars. Grinding the rails even I have done before. Remember to flip that bar over every so often to wear the rails even.

Gary

Hah, you have sharper eyes than me! :bowdown: :bowdown:

Mine too, well laying it down flat it is bent ever so slighty, but bent none the less. Will this really account for that much crookedness in my cuts? What causes them to get bent? operator error?

You ever get it pinched bad, and reefed on it a little? I bent one that way.

I also bent one when I ran over it with a skidder... but that was like a 45 degree bend! DOH!

It looks like it has a few miles on it dude... I would get a new one. But again, that's me.

Gary

I agree I will get a new bar, this sucks cause I am never gonna be able to get my new stainless prop for my boat, guess i will be running aluminum at the lake this week. Thanks for the help guys, this site is great. So it being bent that much will account for my "crookedness".

I agree I will get a new bar, this sucks cause I am never gonna be able to get my new stainless prop for my boat, guess i will be running aluminum at the lake this week. Thanks for the help guys, this site is great. So it being bent that much will account for my "crookedness".

It could... yes.

I'm just tellin' ya what I would do. If you don't cut a whole lot with it... give it a shot to bend it back into "shape". It might just work out for you. Also let a few other knuckleheads post their thoughts about this. They might find something and be able to add more advice for you.

You're in Puyallup... I visit my parents in Orting all the time, and my g/f lives in Enumclaw. If ya need a hand cuttin' or anything... let me know, and I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.

Good luck...

Gary

It could... yes.
If ya need a hand cuttin' or anything... let me know, and I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.

Good luck...

Gary
Yeah its gonna have to be fixed I do more cuttin than I want to, LOL

Be careful I might take you up on that, I have some maple rounds that have been down at my lot in Tacoma for about 3 months cause I have been scared to mess them up and the are close to 4ft.

Latest posts

Back