Newbie - 60cc pro saw purchase, decomp valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkoltai9

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm a homeowner looking to buy my first saw, with every intention to use it at least semi-professionally (garden and homestead development). After this cold winter (even down here in Mississippi), I'm putting in a wood stove. With access to hardwood all over my community if I'm willing to cut and haul, the expense of a decent saw is a drop in the bucket next to the cost of running the central heat pump this past winter.

I started searching the internet to learn about specific models and quickly found myself scouring through many pages on AS.

I had in mind to purchase a 50cc pro saw and I wanted a little more info before dropping $600 on MS 261. Lots of recommendations here for 550xp, but I couldn't find one locally. That pretty much sealed the deal until a very respected and knowledgeable friend convinced me to consider 60cc for my only saw.

I have a dealer nearby with 562xp on the shelf and he was willing to gas it up with husky premix and let me give it a run on a 24" catalpa log I brought along. This was the shop owner, not the mechanic, and he didn't know all the details, but was very helpful.

So he preps the saw and cranks it, and nothing... Same problem until we pull the decomp valve back out with a flathead screwdriver. Saw starts, runs great, cuts the hell out of the catalpa log (I'm running WOT to work AT). A few cookies, turn the now hot saw off... Decomp valve pressed, won't start. We spent 20 min cutting cookies and same result every time. Whenever decomp was used, saw would not start. As soon as we pulled it back out, it would run within two pulls.

I thought decomp was always supposed to be used on bigger saws so as not to break the pull cord. I could feel substantial more resistance when it was not pushed in. Needless to say, I did not buy the saw on the spot and the problem starting took away any chance of a high pressure sales pitch (thank god).

Handling 562xp was incredible. It is clearly powerful and felt like a joy to use. When I poked around some other parts of the internet, I found others with the same experience. Found the saw powerful, but complained it's too finicky on startup and of course lot of comments to the effect of "what good is an awesome powerful lightweight saw that won't start?"

At this point, I'm naturally leaning toward ms 362. I read a lot of comments on AS about how 361 was so much better and 261/441 are so much better recent updates, but as far as I can tell, that is mostly prior to the m-tronic 362.

I was wondering if y'all could comment on decomp valve on 562xp and decomp valves in general (useful/essential or not?). Also, any comments on m-tronic 362 would be appreciated.

(FYI, I did also find a nearby Home Depot with two used dcs6421 for $250, but I've been advised to just buy a new still or husky, that those deals are for someone who already knows the ins and outs of chainsaw management/repair)

Thanks everyone. Great forum!

As for decomp - I had a ms362 and the decomp was completely unnecessary. My 262xp doesn't have one, but I wish it did - she'll grab you good sometimes on start up. Cheers!

I never use the decomp, but sometimes I wish I did on my 2188. Any pro 60cc saw will suit you fine, I would lean towards the dealer you were happiest with.

decomps leak over time and cause a loss in power. If it doesn't have 70-80cc and 180#s of compression they will get a decomp plug on my end. You want to see something rediculous

Dolmar 341 (33cc) with decomp plug. LOL... really???

My 260 pro has one. :confused:
And is just as worthless as the adjustable oiler they try to sell everyone on. I love how guys like to track down the adjustable oilers for this sereies saw. The non-adjustable pumps just as much oil and the pump gears are all metal. IE: no plastic gears to be shredded up.

Well, that's kinda weird, but the rings most likely aren't seated yet, so it doesn't have enough compression to start with decomp pushed in. Might take 5-10 tanks, who knows.

With that said, got any good echo dealers nearby? Guys are scarfing up the timberwolf 590s and having a good time with them. The saved money over any of the big two offerings will get you some chaps and boots/helmet stuff, the PPE you need.

Well, that's kinda weird, but the rings most likely aren't seated yet, so it doesn't have enough compression to start with decomp pushed in. Might take 5-10 tanks, who knows.

With that said, got any good echo dealers nearby? Guys are scarfing up the timberwolf 590s and having a good time with them. The saved money over any of the big two offerings will get you some chaps and boots/helmet stuff, the PPE you need.
I have an Echo 600P and it has a decomp, i occasionally push it, most often I forget. My 14 y/o son has to use the decomp or he can't start it safely. He is very heavily supervised when he has the saw.

There is a lot of love on this site for the 562 XP and I own a 362 C-M that I think is a great saw (I think you would be equally happy with either regardless of the bias that may be expressed by some). The only time I appreciate the decompression valve is when I don't have both feet on the ground, then I like how smooth it makes start up. Both these saws are light and will cut better than you would expect a 60 cc saw to cut, and the "computer" means you never have to tune the carb again. They are both a great all around saw for size/power.

Sounds like you're looking for the ultimate 1 saw plan. IMHO you're on the right track in the 60cc range.
I've never had much trouble starting my 562 either with or without the decomp.
Stock, I seldom used the decomp valve. Now that it's been worked over by the chimp
I use the button a bit more and am glad she's got one. The MS362 is one heck of a saw as well. It will serve you well.
Like others have said dealer support should be an important consideration.
Honestly, I can't see you going wrong either way.

Guys, check the bravisimo about decomps at the door. I'm 6-4 240 and I thought they were for wimps. Three shoulder and an elbow surgery later I pray before I start a saw without one (I built a non-decomp 288 recently and that saw made me cringe to start it). I don't think the shoulder surgeries were related to starting a saw, but the elbow thing definitely was a direct result.

Nathan, the decomp on the 341 is more about saving the recoil on those saws (no, I don't use it on the stock 401!!).

The 562xp is a great choice, but there has been a small percentage with carburetor issues. If your local Husky tech has the training, I'd say go right ahead. My local dealer is more old school at this point; a 362xp would be a better choice from him. There are Husky dealers on AS who sell 562xp's at a good price and know how to make them perform as they should. The Stihl 362xp is a good saw, too, with much improved dust filtration. Either one would suit me fine, just as long as I felt the dealer could back it up.

I like decomp valves; less wear/tear on both me and the recoil assembly.

One more thought: if you're cutting and limbing wood 18" DBH or less, a Husky 550xp or Stihl 261 C-M might be more efficient as a firewood saw.

id grab the 6401 in the trading post for $250, the 044 from JJ, or the 371xp that has been mentioned before I would buy new saw at full price. I would buy with confidence from either of those 3 listers. or the ported 359 for $275.

Yeap check out the echo 590/600.good saws.less than $500 on the 600.the 590 is less than $400.both are the same saw.ive ran lots of saws and the echos have impressed me.of course I havent ran the comparative husqvarna or stihl pro saws thats offered right now.dont feel the need too.the 600 I have does what I need.;)

Nathan, the decomp on the 341 is more about saving the recoil on those saws (no, I don't use it on the stock 401!!).
my 401 is ported and with 0.016 squish and I still don't use it... LOL...

I have never used an Echo 590, but it is priced below their other saws, so I doubt it is pro quality (Stihl & Husky also make lower priced saws). They have a video of it on their website, looks like cutting a small Ash log. If it took my 362 C-M that long I would not use it any more.

Latest posts

Back