Newbie - 60cc pro saw purchase, decomp valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never used an Echo 590, but it is priced below their other saws, so I doubt it is pro quality (Stihl & Husky also make lower priced saws). They have a video of it on their website, looks like cutting a small Ash log. If it took my 362 C-M that long I would not use it any more.

Hey, mag case saw, clutch driven adjustable oiler and etc. It's as pro saw as anything else called a pro saw. Cut for buck, it's right up there in the "good deal" category.

They build and price them to compete with the husky 455 and stihl ms290 and 291.
I guess price them cheap and they will come.

Oh yeah I'll add inboard clutch and comes with 3/8 pitch bar and chain.
If you can get by the weight then theres no problem.its no difference in the weight between the weight of the 455 or 290.with a muffler mod itll whoop either one.

Yes they cost more. Have had my 044 over 20 years, I considered it very expense when I purchased it. Can not imagine how much time I would have wasted over the years if I did not have it. Like my Dad used to say, "Quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten" Each person must make their own choice, and I will never say that each person must make the same choice. Everyone has their own priorities and must make their decision based on the best facts available. The Echo sounds like a very solid well made saw for the money. But there are better saws available if you can afford them, and if it is worth it to you.

Thanks for the input everyone. I went to the main stihl dealer in town today to check out the 362 and compare its weight to the 261 and others. Only one on the shelf ... MS 362RC-M wrap around. It didn't take long to figure a plan of action.

I wiped the drool off my face and begged them to take my $$$.

They had pricing for old MS 362 R and new MS 362 C-M, but no information on RC-M they had in stock. They sold it to me for the same price as regular 362 C-M. 20" ES bar 3/8 yellow RS chain $759.99.

While I was examining the different models, I caught the mechanic's attention, who gave me the time of day and some solid info about the pro line m-tronics. He told me always to use the decomp valve, which gave no trouble at all on startup. I've been using it every start without trouble.

The saw rocks. I don't have enough experience to really compare it to a weaker saw, but that 3/8 chain sure took big bites out of a 3' diameter red oak in my neighbors yard. I think that was the right sort of log to work the m-tronic into tune. I got through almost three tanks before it was too dark to keep going.

My impressions vs 562 XP I tried a couple days ago. 562 was definitely lighter and more nimble. 362 is built like a tank and the wrap around model adds an extra half pound. My experience starting both saws is drastically in favor of the 362, easy and seems reliable. For someone at my skill/experience level, the stihl makes a lot of sense.

Thanks again to everyone for your help, both here and on the many other AS threads that helped inform my decision.

Latest posts

Back