Newbie here....looking for a big saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also think a 70cc on up would be the way to go. If you could give us a idea of the type of wood and maximum diamiter the wood that you would be cutting . You will get a better answer to your question.

Go MS 460 with a 28" bar 3/4 wrap and dual big dawgs and go cut some wood :rock: :msp_thumbsup:

This is exactly what I run and I would never look back. I have the competition saw of the 346 being a Stihl MS261 and for the small saw I use a 200T

Although I have joined the 6 cube club as well:hmm3grin2orange:

Don't over look the ms441, with a 20 inch bar you won't be able to tell the difference in power between the 441 and 460 except when it comes to comfort and fuel mileage.

441 with 25" bar in seasoned elm, self feeding and some light pressure.

[video=youtube;dHIezpugIh0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHIezpugIh0[/video]

here is a video of 5.8 and 6 cubes.

[video=youtube;Gc3SvfDwkXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc3SvfDwkXo[/video]

Your videos prove my point, why use a saw that has to rev it's guts out working beyond it's capacity, when you can just howl through it with a big enough saw.
Go six cubes and fear no evil.

Your videos prove my point, why use a saw that has to rev it's guts out working beyond it's capacity, when you can just howl through it with a big enough saw.
Go six cubes and fear no evil.

That video don't show much at all except that the old slow husky blows lots of smoke, and that the bloke didn't sharpen the chain on the 066 very well.

when i saw "big saw" on this thread i was thinking along the lines of my partner p100 (now has a new home), jonsered 2095, jonsereds 111s, stihl 084 or husqvarna 3120 (pre epa).

Sadly no olympyk or sachs dolmar to report. (ok or other stihls, macs, homelites etc...)

For the money and if you can service your own saw, you can find a 7900 dolmar delivered for $730 bucks. 79 cc, light, easy to work on and will pull a 32" bar ez.

I love my stihl saws too, but the dolly is a great value!!!

Jeezze guys he said he was a newbie at running a saw, I would think a 372 would be plenty big enough!! He is cutting fire wood not logging. Heck I don't want to run my 390 unless I have to!! :msp_scared:

I vote for either the ms441 or the ms460.

The 460 is about $100 more but bigger motor...and same weight.
If ya got the coin...go for the ms460...for sure!!!

If in time...ya need a bigger saw...then a ms660 would be in order.
:cheers:
J2F

Jeezze guys he said he was a newbie at running a saw, I would think a 372 would be plenty big enough!! He is cutting fire wood not logging. Heck I don't want to run my 390 unless I have to!! :msp_scared:

I would rather run a 390 than the 372 if the wood is of any size. I think the way it balances is much more comfortable to run than the 372.

I would rather run a 390 than the 372 if the wood is of any size. I think the way it balances is much more comfortable to run than the 372.

Can you explain why it feels that way, and in what settings it has any drawbacks (for you) over the 2171/372.

I wonder because I've been getting into some nice trees lately, and I run the 24" bar alot on my 2171 as a result. I'm semi-seriously considering stepping up to a 2188.

I'm with RandyMac, I've got 24" and 36" bars on my two 100cc saws, and 20" and 16" bars on my 82cc saws. When cuttin logs into rounds I match the bar to the log at the skinny end and start cuttin till the tip doens't go through, then grabb the next bigger saw. I also have an ittsie bittsie 14" Echo I use off the ground, but your new to saws so you shouldn't be off the ground, Joe.

The 372 is about perfect with a 20" bar on it. I can run it all day. The 390 has either a 24" or a 28" on it and after about 5 tanks of fuel I have to grab the 357 to finish. The modded 372 is proving to be as fast as the 390 in 20" and down wood. I rarely cut in anything bigger. If this 372 holds up it will be a keeper. CJ

Can you explain why it feels that way, and in what settings it has any drawbacks (for you) over the 2171/372.

I wonder because I've been getting into some nice trees lately, and I run the 24" bar alot on my 2171 as a result. I'm semi-seriously considering stepping up to a 2188.

I guess the handle spacing makes up for the extra weight where you really don't feel it.

660 or 394/395 would be the fun option, especially with a 20" bar!

460 or 372xp or 7900 would be the cheaper option that will get the job done, but you still may find wood you struggle with occassionaly

I looked at what I was doing long and hard when I bought my 660 mag, and had been looking at the 441 and 460 for quite a while, after playing with them all I went with the 660 and am mighty glad I did. With a 25 inch bar on it it balances perfectly, you could not bog it with a properly sharpened chain, even in the hardwood I cut (aussie concrete wood.) When using it to cut up firewood the extra power makes the small amount of extra weight absolutely unnoticeable, and honestly I could, and have swung it all day and found it no more fatiguing than using a much smaller saw. I would say if there was an option of the 441/460 or the ms660 I would take the 660 every day of the week. Not to say that the other 2 are bad saws or anything just that the 660 is just so much more saw!!! I have bars from 20 inch to 42 inch for it and just love using it (INSERT BIG CHEESY GRIN HERE) :msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin: it is the most fun saw I have used bar none and would expect the husky 390 or 395 to be similar in the fun factor. The only thing I find is an issue with the 660 is how quickly the filter clogs, but it is pretty easy to pull of and clean without any tools so it is only a minor issue. The 441 is a bit better in this regard.

Back