Newbie here....looking for a big saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You wont go wrong with the 460, but I wouldnt pass up a 372 just because you want a Stihl in the stable. I have always used Stihls for the most part, but my 372 was fate haha.

That video don't show much at all except that the old slow husky blows lots of smoke, and that the bloke didn't sharpen the chain on the 066 very well.

both were brand new chains so blame Oregon, and did you time the cuts? old smokey smoked the Stihl.

Jeezze guys he said he was a newbie at running a saw, I would think a 372 would be plenty big enough!! He is cutting fire wood not logging. Heck I don't want to run my 390 unless I have to!! :msp_scared:

Well said, boy do we carried away sometimes.

Why switch to stihl ?? You have the best 50 cc saw on the planet and the perfect mate would be a 372xp which is a couple pounds more with a 24 inch bar and is probably the best 70 cc saw ever made if you can still get one
My three are : 346 XP ,372 XP ,390XP

Don't know where you are in SW Missouri, I'm about 13 miles SW of Monett, I've got a 460 that you are welcome to run. You cannot go wrong with a 440 or 460. Coast to Coast in Monett is a great Stihl dealer.

Thanks to everyone for the input! I've been keeping up with the thread so I hope no one thought I asked for help and then disappeared...not the case.

I went and looked at or should I say drooled over the 362 and 460 on Friday. I'm kinda leaning toward the 362 at this point just because the 460 is way more saw then I'll ever need. Actually, my 346 does 95% of what I need a saw to do so there is no real need here, JUST WANT....lol. I don't cut that much but find myself with a case of CAD...I know that's crazy but I can't help it. We are in the hunt for some acreage so the need will be there shortly if that makes my saw purchase any more sane......hee hee.

I've read up a lot on the popularity of the 360/361 and even the 362. I thought the 362 felt great, it's still relatively light IMO, with plenty of power and I think it's a great looking saw. Plus, it's considerably cheaper than a new 460. I know some think the 362 is too close to the 346 that I have now as far as cc's go but I think the 362 is gonna have a ton more guts to it cutting anything of substantial size, just my rookie opinion...lol. I'll post pics of the new addition soon.

Don't know where you are in SW Missouri, I'm about 13 miles SW of Monett, I've got a 460 that you are welcome to run. You cannot go wrong with a 440 or 460. Coast to Coast in Monett is a great Stihl dealer.

I'm in Springfield so I'm about an hour away. I REALLY appreciate the offer but I think I'm gonna end up with the 362 for now and if I find myself in need of something bigger, then I'll pick it up at a later time. I picked my 346 up locally at Race Brothers....they've got a couple guys in there that took real good care of me. In fact they had a good laugh when I came back looking for another saw on Friday that I don't need. I just got my 346 a few weeks ago and I think I need another one already....not good...lol.......Thanks again for the offer though!! I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
Well now you got saw in target, let me add a little cloud. Have you thought about the 362 with 3/4 wrap and bigger dawgs? What bar you thinking about? A 28" Stihl lightweight would make the saw more comfortable to run all day. Once the word gets out to the neighbors friends and family you have chainsaws your a mark man for sure:laugh:

You better rethink this and get the 460 if you don't you'll regret it in a month or two or if you get some land with bigger trees.
Pay once cut long time. With the bigger saw you'll get better production with less effort and it'll cut anything.
Joe

Theres not that much difference between a 346 50cc saw and a 362 60cc saw but there is a big (as in very nice) difference between a 50cc 346 and a 70cc 460. You will get the work done faster and easier with the 460. You will also probably wish you'd bought the 460 at some point.

Thanks to everyone for the input! I've been keeping up with the thread so I hope no one thought I asked for help and then disappeared...not the case.

I went and looked at or should I say drooled over the 362 and 460 on Friday. I'm kinda leaning toward the 362 at this point just because the 460 is way more saw then I'll ever need. Actually, my 346 does 95% of what I need a saw to do so there is no real need here, JUST WANT....lol. I don't cut that much but find myself with a case of CAD...I know that's crazy but I can't help it. We are in the hunt for some acreage so the need will be there shortly if that makes my saw purchase any more sane......hee hee.

I've read up a lot on the popularity of the 360/361 and even the 362. I thought the 362 felt great, it's still relatively light IMO, with plenty of power and I think it's a great looking saw. Plus, it's considerably cheaper than a new 460. I know some think the 362 is too close to the 346 that I have now as far as cc's go but I think the 362 is gonna have a ton more guts to it cutting anything of substantial size, just my rookie opinion...lol. I'll post pics of the new addition soon.

I'm in Springfield so I'm about an hour away. I REALLY appreciate the offer but I think I'm gonna end up with the 362 for now and if I find myself in need of something bigger, then I'll pick it up at a later time. I picked my 346 up locally at Race Brothers....they've got a couple guys in there that took real good care of me. In fact they had a good laugh when I came back looking for another saw on Friday that I don't need. I just got my 346 a few weeks ago and I think I need another one already....not good...lol.......Thanks again for the offer though!! I really appreciate it!

If ya ever git over my way (Cabool) let me know. :rock:

You better rethink this and get the 460 if you don't you'll regret it in a month or two or if you get some land with bigger trees.
Pay once cut long time. With the bigger saw you'll get better production with less effort and it'll cut anything.
Joe

Theres not that much difference between a 346 50cc saw and a 362 60cc saw but there is a big (as in very nice) difference between a 50cc 346 and a 70cc 460. You will get the work done faster and easier with the 460. You will also probably wish you'd bought the 460 at some point.

Just when I think I've got my mind made up you guys gotta throw this at me....lol. Now I'm confused about which one to get...AGAIN! I was actually thinking that the 362 might replace my 346 and I'd pick up something with 6 cubic inches later...:rock:

If ya ever git over my way (Cabool) let me know. :rock:

I just went through Cabool a couple of times over the weekend. I'm actually from Poplar Bluff so I went home to see the folks.

Well now you got saw in target, let me add a little cloud. Have you thought about the 362 with 3/4 wrap and bigger dawgs? What bar you thinking about? A 28" Stihl lightweight would make the saw more comfortable to run all day. Once the word gets out to the neighbors friends and family you have chainsaws your a mark man for sure:laugh:

DONT listen to this one!!! 25 inch maximum no need for the bigger "dawgs" or the 3/4 wrap, unless you like leaving high stumps!

The 362 is a good saw and is noticeably more than a 346!

Just when I think I've got my mind made up you guys gotta throw this at me....lol. Now I'm confused about which one to get...AGAIN! I was actually thinking that the 362 might replace my 346 and I'd pick up something with 6 cubic inches later...:rock:

DAMN GOOD PLAN!!! but 5.8 cubes will do!! 362 and 660 makes an unbeatable combo!!

Back