Newbie: I have a lead on a 039, advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Roc

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Chain saw is NEW, only used 5 to 6 times & stored away. Has 18” bar and price includes: spare chain, grease gun, extra tube of grease, two stroke motor oil, chain oil. New retail is about $530 plus about $15 for chain. Price $250 firm. (Canadian $)
Note: that is original bottle of chain oil in picture not used up yet. Email:

DISPLACEMENT
64.1 cc (3.9 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER
3.2 kW (4.3 bhp)
WEIGHT
(powerhead only)
5.9 kg (13.0 lbs.)
FUEL CAPACITY
560 cc (18.9 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY
330 cc (11.2 oz.)
OILOMATIC® CHAIN
3/8" RSC3
RECOMMENDED
RANGE OF
GUIDE BAR
LENGTHS
40 to 63 cm
(16" to 25")
STIHL ROLLOMATIC®

I sent the seller an email asking to come down and take a look at it,
What is standard procedure for checking a used saw over (newbie 101 lol)

I have a compression tester, other than that, I don't know what else to look for... look clean though

$250 seems almost too good to be true,
considering most of the saws I have found in this price range are 30-40cc class

0372ndm_20.jpg

You know what your doing!

Price is fair to good!

Check compression, as long as it is around 140lbs+. You have a good one! A little less is okay.

Also, what are your plans? It is a good firewood saw, as long as you are not tackling huge logs or trees! I have several neighbors with that size Stihl, and it treats them just fine!

I'm actually looking for a saw to toss in the back of my Jeep Cherokee when we go out and hit up the trails in Northern Ontario...
I would probably throw a 16" bar on it for those adventures,

I'm started to plan ahead for when I move out and have a wood fireplace as a secondary source of heat... I'm looking to clean/chop up some of my neighbours bush that has a few fallen trees,

I haven't had much exposure to operating a chainsaw, so the larger saw is a bit intimidating... but I'm sure I can grow into it.

Hopefully I can score this one if the price is actually right
Jeff

check the drive sprocket, can tell you how much it's been used and if he replaced it well that's nice too, chain brake functioning, air filter check the plug while your in there, bar condition and all the switches work properly. GL

If the saw pictured is the saw for sale that looks like a real good deal...Hope it works out for you...:cheers:

$250 in Canada? The 039 is an older model, but that sounds good.

Down here I can get $150 029s, but they have a lot more hours on them than that 039 looks to have, and a new 390 carries a large premium over a new 290.

$250 in Canada? The 039 is an older model, but that sounds good.

Down here I can get $150 029s, but they have a lot more hours on them than that 039 looks to have, and a new 390 carries a large premium over a new 290.

Yea, $250 CAD... how much did a 039 retail for brand new? Same ball park range as a ms390?

Oh man... more goodness just got posted!

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-Chainsaw-5-used-W0QQAdIdZ172132662

I don't know what to do now :D

cliff notes
1. Jonserad 2141 Chainsaw as new $250.00 OBO
2. Stihl Top Handle 009 Chainsaw used $100.00 OBO
3. PoulanPro 3400 56cc Chainsaw used $125.00 OBO
4. Pioneer P39 Chainsaw used $75.00 OBO
5. McCulloch 3818 Chainsaw used $100.00 OBO

Last edited:
Son of a gun, the 039 was sold already! :chainsaw::censored:

Back to the drawing board

If I were selling a saw I don't think I'd let somebody show up and put their fuel in it. At least until I had the cash in hand.

Back