Newbie needs to move up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

country53

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everybody! First time post here.

My basic question is, will a 361 pull a 20" buried in hard wood (hedge) as well or better than my MS260 does with a 16" ?

Or do I need to go bigger?

Thanks in advance for helping me to decide my next new saw.

260 pro
70s Super EZ AO still running
Homelite 410 -gave up the ghost

:cheers:

I think you will be amazed how much better........AND you would have a 361!
Mike

A 361 really pulls a 20" bar (in 20" of hardwood) that much better than a 260 pulls a 16" ??

I was thinking maybe having both a 260 and a 361 was getting them a little too close together in size. I love my 260, but it seems if it is really buried in hedge it's pretty tuff going, but I don't have a need for more than a 20.

IMO, you will not be happy with a 361 with a 20" buried in oak, let alone hedge/osage orange. I am not. I like a 70cc saw with a 20" bar for hardwoods. I am in ohio and use a 440 with a 20" for most of my cutting needs

IMO, you will not be happy with a 361 with a 20" buried in oak, let alone hedge/osage orange. I am not. I like a 70cc saw with a 20" bar for hardwoods. I am in ohio and use a 440 with a 20" for most of my cutting needs

I am trying to get a relative feel for the power of a 361. I've done a lot of searches and most everyone agrees it's a great saw. I'm getting older and weight is a factor for me. Since I already have a 260 I don't want to be redundant to the point of being ridiculous, but I don't want more weight that I have to either.

I like my 260 and I agree with most everyone here that a 16" is the perfect size for that saw, but that being said, hedge is some very tuff stuff, and that saw has it's hands full when taking a full bite of green hedge.

I would like some more opinions on comparatively speaking, does the 361 handle a 20" about the same or better that a 260 handles a 16".

If I get a 361 I would think it's primary duty would be hedge ranging from 12" to 18" , with occasionally 20" or more where I have to come at it from both sides. Considering how hedge grows, I think the 260 would still see the majority of the work handling everything 12" and smaller.

So what I would really like opinions on, relatively speaking, does a 361 do at least as well with a 20 as a 260 does with a 16 - Thanks

You'll like 361

I am trying to get a relative feel for the power of a 361. I've done a lot of searches and most everyone agrees it's a great saw. I'm getting older and weight is a factor for me. Since I already have a 260 I don't want to be redundant to the point of being ridiculous, but I don't want more weight that I have to either.

I'm a bit older like you and up until 2weeks ago also owned a 361. I sold it to move up to a 372 husky as I had the 60cc class covered with my 261. However, I have to say it was a great saw for me. . . lots of power and very smooth. I cut mainly red oak and maple here in northern Wisconsin for firewood and the MS361 performed great with a 20" bar. More power and grunt when cutting the 16"-20" oak than my Husky 346XP (which would be somewhat comparable to your 260 - without getting into which is faster etc.).

I think the 361 would be exactly what you'd be looking for - and it's a fairly trim saw as well. Easy to handle and not that heavy. I'm 57 and only 5'6" tall and had no trouble with the saw.

Now that's about the most honest recommendation you'll get from a Husky fan I think! HA HA

Good luck in your decision!

Al :cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks for the opinion and the welcome. I have already learned a lot just lurking around, and expect to learn much, much more. Thanks again.

I think ya should try a husky 372 and the 361 and then see which one
you want:monkey:

I think that is a good idea - the 372xp sure is stronger, but the added weight (more than the specs tell you) and bulk makes a big difference for handling out in the woods.

A 361-class saw will be very nicely suited to 12-18" hardwood, and can definitely handle larger wood when necessary.

If you're planning to regularly be in bigger wood and are going to be cutting firewood, a larger saw might make more sense. The cumulative increase in time with a smaller saw may be negligible when you're cutting sawlogs at mill lengths, but for firewood you're cutting every 16-20" or so, and a faster per-cut time might be appreciated.

I think that the 361/20 will be roughly on a par with the 260/16, and maybe a bit ahead. However, if I already had a 260 that was working well, I'd probably want to skip the 60cc class and jump up to the 70cc. I've found that the pair of my Dolmar 7900 (80cc) and Husqvarna 154 (54cc, woods ported) makes for a great big-and-little firewood combo. The 361 is close enough to the 260 in weight and bulk that you'll end up not using the 260 for much of anything, I suspect.

A 361-class saw will be very nicely suited to 12-18" hardwood, and can definitely handle larger wood when necessary.

If you're planning to regularly be in bigger wood and are going to be cutting firewood, a larger saw might make more sense. The cumulative increase in time with a smaller saw may be negligible when you're cutting sawlogs at mill lengths, but for firewood you're cutting every 16-20" or so, and a faster per-cut time might be appreciated.

I think that the 361/20 will be roughly on a par with the 260/16, and maybe a bit ahead. However, if I already had a 260 that was working well, I'd probably want to skip the 60cc class and jump up to the 70cc. I've found that the pair of my Dolmar 7900 (80cc) and Husqvarna 154 (54cc, woods ported) makes for a great big-and-little firewood combo. The 361 is close enough to the 260 in weight and bulk that you'll end up not using the 260 for much of anything, I suspect.

+1

Well said!

Ed

Well the 260 has you covered for smaller wood so the next step would be a 70cc saw to handle the bigger jobs. Get a 440 Stihl if you can find one or a 372xp.

+1

I don't think the 361 is what your looking for. (did I just say that :dizzy: )

I would have recommended a 044/440 but since Stihl took away that option, I'm gonna say you should be looking at a Husky 372.

A 50cc/70cc combo is mighty hard to beat for getting the wood in.

Last edited:
50/60/70 is better.....LOL

Not in my book I have 50/60/70 and the 60 just has to sit and watch the other two have all the fun. :laugh:

When I'm done with the MS260 it's time for the 044 (or MS460) Why would I haul the 60cc out to the woods and gas it up and keep the chain sharp and take the time to clean it afterwards just to cut the 3 logs between the 50cc and 70cc???????

Why not just take a big chunk of wood down to your dealer and try the different sizes out? Most dealers will let you try them. Only you can make the decision on the point where weight/power is right for you.

Personally, if I thought I was going to be doing the majority of the work with the 260 anyway, I'd want a 70+ cc class saw to use for the larger stuff.

A 50cc/70cc combo is mighty hard to beat for getting the wood in.

I gotta vote with this camp, too. If you're going to own ONE saw, get a 60cc. If you're gonna own TWO, get a 50/70. I just don't feel there's enough difference between a 50 and 60 to warrant having both, unless you're into collecting and such. So yeah, you might think of selling the 260 and putting that toward the 361, and you might be fine. (I've never cut Hedge before though...don't know how tough it is from personal experience.)

Back