Newbie with a question or three

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikeralan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
Great forum!
I live in Northern Lower Mich and yes I have an OWB, burn about 10-12 cords mostly red oak per yr.
I have a Husky 55 Rancher and most wood i cut is 10-18 diam. My last saw was a Stihl 031 AV. The Husky just doesn't seem to have as much snot as my old Stihl did, would a muffler mod help? or do Stihl's just have more low end torque?
Dealer support in my area is good for both, my Husky is 3 yrs old, after reading this forum all I have to do is convince my wife why I need 2 saws.
Thanks,
Alan

bar

What size bar are you running?The shorter the bar the faster saw will cut.Full round chisel will cut faster also,unless your in dirtier wood.Also keep the chains sharp.Most important is keeping the depth gages down where they are supposed to be.(.025 to .030?)Red oak is some tough stuff.Hope this helps.
Ed

running an 18" bar, keep the rakers down as well, should I run at 30 deg.? oregon says 25. I use a bar mounted file guide, seems to work good.

Thanks,
Alan

degree

30 degree will give you more of a point.Which means a little sharper but,it will also dull faster.Will this really show up in less cuts per sharpening?I don't know.I sharpen by machine,and do the factory specs.Except for the depth gage.I run them at .035 with my 362xpg or my 372xp.
Ed

On a real cold day, let the fire go out and explain to your wife the old saw can't keep up no more and you think you need a new one. She will probably drive you there to get it.

Tell you wife that a bigger saw will be less strain on you so that after a day of cutting you will not be too tired to spend time with her.

I really like my 359. Amick's super store has it for $430 with 20" bar

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Husqvarna_359_Chainsaw_p/husqvarna 359.htm

I purchased the non-cat muffler from an online parts center and that really helped with the heat. It also runs better and seems to have more power. You will have to adjust the carb afterwards. I have a thread that tells you how to remove them without damaging them this way you can preserve the warranty. Or just take it into a local dealer with the new non-cat muffler installed and have them adjust it.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=38742

First off, welcome to arboristsite!! Good to see another Michigan member here.

If your measure of "snot" is low-end torque, you will be disappointed with most saws of recent vintage! The trend in the last few generations of saws (with your 55 being from one generation ago) is towards higher revs, which means usually requires a change in cutting technique from the technique that produced the best results with the older, torquey saws. That said, the newer, faster saws probably do get more work done per unit of time, but they are not as forgiving of a dull chain and require a bit of a finer touch to get the most out of 'em.

The 55 does respond very well to a muffler mod, from everything I've heard or read. That might be a good first step towards getting the saw up to your expectations.

As for whether you should buy a second saw, I would say that it is a good idea. This would be especially true if you are cutting your wood in the woods and not just bucking up logs that were delivered to you. I think that most people here would agree that it is usually a good idea to bring at least two saws with you when you go cutting. That way if one goes down you can still finish your work, and if one gets thoroughly stuck you will have a saw to cut it out with.

Depending on what sort of saw you want for a second saw - a bigger one, another 55, or a smaller back-up saw - you might want to consider picking up a gently used saw. That would be less expensive than a new one, and it would likely be from the pre-catalytic converter mufflers era, so you won't have to turn right around and drop $50 on a new muffler for your used saw. Since you're running a Husqvarna right now, you might as well stick with that so you'll only have one shop to go to for parts and service. Assuming you'd like be looking for a larger saw, you should be able to find a nice 272, 371, 372 for a reasonable price if you are patient, and these would be the PERFECT tool for the larger oak that you cut.

Thanks for the replies, it does make good sense to run another Husky. Let me see, I will tell the chief financial officer
" I am just so concerned about keeping the house toasty for you and the kids, I should have a back up saw."
Truthfully the money we have saved heating with wood over the years, I could have a fleet of saws, I am also one of those weird guys who enjoys cutting and spliting(by hand) wood.
We have four kids and it gives them a good work ethic as well, they just don't know it yet lol
Thanks
Alan

bikeralan said:
......I am also one of those weird guys who enjoys cutting and spliting(by hand) wood.
We have four kids and it gives them a good work ethic as well, they just don't know it yet lol
Thanks
Alan

Your not alone, i also prefer to split my firewood by hand (with help of axe :jester: )... also, since i cut as "hobby" i can pick my weathers to go to woods and actually enjoy it ^_^

Continuing the agreement here. 55 w/ muffler mod should do ya pretty good as long as you run good sharp chains and keep it tuned.

If you don't pick up another saw you should at least pick up another bar and chain. That way if you get the saw pinched you can take off the powerhead and put on the other bar and chain. Never try to free a pinched saw by felling the tree w/ another...take off the powerhead leaving only a pinched BAR...ask Talon why:hmm3grin2orange: .

If you start looking for a new saw a 359 would be an excellent value. It's much more saw than the 55...MUCH more than the 4cc's imply. Get a 16in bar for the 55 and move the 20 to the 359. Assuming the 55 came w/ a 20...

You could even run a 24 on the 359 w/ skip chain on occasion.

Another possibility would be a 365xp...another $60 or so than a 359 but another .7hp and only a little heavier than the 55 (still 1lb lighter than the 031:pumpkin2: ). It's a 12,500 rpm (max) saw and might have a powerband more comparable to what you're accustomed. But maybe a 365 owner could interject - especially if they've run a 359 also. (It can be upgraded to a 372XP later w/ just a piston and cyl change I beleive...:rockn: )

Gee, the $60 difference isn't even one fillup in my Suburban...but I wouldn't wanna walk 600miles to save it! :laugh:

Chaser

Back