Newbie with old and new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontrack2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Newbie with Broken Tanaka and New Husky

Hi everyone,

I have an old Tanaka ECS350 which to this day has been an absolutely brilliant saw. However the rear handle cracked and getting a replacement in Australia is next to imposible.

I can get one in the U.S but they dont ship internationally. So it looks like it is relagated shelf.

So I went out and bought a new saw. My main use is for cutting firewood (up to 10"-12" so nothing big and wanted a light weight reliable saw that was within budget.

I have two dealers locally, one is Husky and the other is Makita.

The husky dealer gave me the best deal so bought a 440e, got a couple of hundred off the price with a few freebies thrown in for good measure.

Used it a few times, seems pretty good so far (not as much power as teh Tanaka has) but seems to do the job well. Now not being one to leave thinsg alone, is there any tips or tricks i should know about with this saw??

Last edited:
In my opinion you made the right decision by going with the husky.... however, I'm not too familiar with the 440e. But, it should suit you fine as a 41cc firewood saw. I'd mod the muffler, and adjust the carb.... to try and wake it up a bit. Run non-safety chains, and open her up. It will only gain more power the more you use it (especially with the muffler modded).
Be careful, and have fun slinging some chips.

Thanks for that, the dealer fitted it with a non safety chain and threw in a second one as well as a storage box, combo fuel/bar oil can, files, wedges and some 2-stroke oil. I did loose some faith in the dealer though when i got it home and saw that they had put the chain on backwards...but they were busy and did it whilst i waited so may have just been an once off mistake..

I need to find out more about modding it especially the muffler and limiting caps (i assume it would have them)

I am still trying to work out how to get the parts for my Tanaka..the parts are only $79.00 but they wont ship outside the US so may try one of those US mailing address companies..

If under 4 lbs., shipping to you shouldn't be that bad, why not get someone here to get you a handle and mail it to you?

If under 4 lbs., shipping to you shouldn't be that bad, why not get someone here to get you a handle and mail it to you?
:agree2:

That would be excellent..if i knew anyone in here lol If I did I would be sending them the money for the part and shipping.

Last edited:
Back