Newbie with saw questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decableguy2000

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm new to the group and I'm amuter small engine mech. Lawn mowers and tillers no big deal. Was given a pile of saws by a friend and had a few laying around here. Have an 028 that was a freebie and was no big deal to fix (chain and sproket all was needed). The saw thats my arch enemy is a Mc Culloch Timber Bear hard starting. This was my dads and he always had problems with it until he bought a husky. It has sat for a few years. I have it running after cleaning carb but if it sits for awhile same thing happens. I have also noticed that ther is no filter in the tank. Is this the norm? Have more questions about more saws but I'll do one post at a time.

Jeremy

The Timber Bear is old but has a pretty loyal following. Heavy slow, but powerful and relaible....a good firewood saw.

With regards to "sitting," remember that one of the big differences between mower/tiller engines and chainsaw engines is that the chainsaws are 2-cycle and require a gas AND oil mixture. When you let them sit, the gas evaporates leaving only the oil, which gums up the carburetor. The fix for that is that when you put them up for a long time (say, the end of the cutting season), you drain the tank and start the machine until it BEGINS to rev up (begins to run out of gas) then you shut it down. The idea is to get most of the gas out of the carb. Don't do this often or without good reason as its a bit hard on the engines...remember, the lubrication is in the fuel mix....you run out of gas, you run out of lube.

I am not that familiar with the Timber Bear, but so far I haven't seen a chainsaw that DIDN'T have a fuel filter in the tank....sounds like a recipe for rapid onset carb trouble. Filters are cheap and strongly suspect you need one.

Also, "cleaning" the carb is not always sufficient. Take the carb off, go to your local chainsaw shop and buy a carb rebuild kit. Do a search on the site regarding carb cleaning (keywords like carburetor, rebuild, membranes, welsh plugs will be helpful). The more thoroughly you rebuild the carb, the better chance you have of getting a good running saw out of it. It's easy and cheap.

Welcome to the site!! And welcome to 2-stroke engines!!

Last edited:
Got a Pro Mac 610... same animal as the Timber Bear... there should be a filter in the tank. Mine was in the same condition that you describe. Rebuild or buy a new carb and it should greatly improve. Also check to see if the fuel line is all gummy and cracked. Might need to replace that too.

BTW... I got a new carb for it on ebay for 10 bucks.:)

Gary

Yup on the filter, now you gotta take the carb apart and clean again as who knows whats bin sucked in there now, Gas is right on on checking the in-tank lines, when they start to deteriorate its a mess (btdt), with no filter, iyiyiyiyiyi, I have yet to see an engine w/o a filter of some sort and your machine is no different (ya ya, models, that doesn't count). Old saws that have sat empty for a long time are worthy of a good flushing of the fuel tank too to get any corrosion and debris out imho, just my 0.02$ worthless fer da evening.

:cheers: & Welcome!

Serge

that sound right

Got a Pro Mac 610... same animal as the Timber Bear... there should be a filter in the tank. Mine was in the same condition that you describe. Rebuild or buy a new carb and it should greatly improve. Also check to see if the fuel line is all gummy and cracked. Might need to replace that too.

BTW... I got a new carb for it on ebay for 10 bucks.:)

Gary
Gary is right you need a fuel line and filter and a carb kit. another thing too check is the exhaust spark screen. also check the crank case impulse line they can go boots up.
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back