Newbie to running older saws, question on mix ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you have run the string long which certainly has it's advantages it will make the shaft round off faster and eventually wear the gears out in the head. I'm thinking the shafts are like $12 and take 30 seconds to swap. Gear head is about $70.

Much is a relative term, but if you have never replaced either you have not used it much in the scheme of things.

I wouldn't wear one out in a lifetime myself. But, I replace those parts for people who make a living with them every week.

I like the FS85's
best of all Stihl trimmers. Don't see them often anymore, maybe once every couple of weeks.
Even FS90's are dwindling. And, I liked them better than the FS91's or FS94's.

And, there is always a row of those solid white homeowner models every day I come in with some malady. Hasn't been run in a year or two and carb stopped up or easy start spring jerked apart as if somebody thinks pulling it harder is going to change how it works or something.

Well, it gives me something to do.

And, as far as the warranty deal goes Stihl has never turned down any claim that we have sent in since I have been there.
Since I moved to Montana I haven't ran it near is much(mayne a gallon of gas a year) but prior to that I ran the snot out of it in addition to letting my employees run it.
In NW Ontario where I use to work we had 10nacres of grounds that needed to be constantly trimmed. Can't use a mower because of the rocks. In addition we had by quick estimate 15 miles of trails that required brush work and trimmer work. It served this duty for 6 years. In addition I bought it off a friend that used it for several years with his lawn service. It's got a pile of hours on it.

Back