Newbie's First Project- 365 special

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my new bar and chain came today from left coast supply and it was too late to try it out but I threw it on there to see how she looked. Man 32" is huge but the saw still balance just slightly forward while hanging from the front handle. Can't wait to put it to wood!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 48
Finally got to try her in some wood today and she did pretty well through a 24" stump I have been playing with. Finally can bog her down some with the 32" and a chain that is actually tuned. I recieved my big ore kit from weedeaterman kit and my Zama carb in the mail Thursday so I am excited to start the rebuild once I get to Vegas and have some time.

I am going to try my hand at it. Between your threads, terry and others I have read on here I feel fairly confident I won't make it worse than stock. Hahaha

Yeah terry has been a wealth of knowledge on this subject and the modded carb topic. I have a zama c3m I want to play with also to make this thing torquey.

Well it has begun. I carved some time out between working 6-12's and having two toddlers and found some free time tonight between midnight and 2:30am.

I got the saw tore down as far as I can go without a puller and the right tool to remove the clutch. I know I have the puller at home but am working out of a rented garage with minimal tools so this will have to stay primitive. Normally I would build a tool to remove the clutch but without my fab tools I guess I will just buy it and move on.

Well this thing is dirty and without a parts washer I am thinking the car wash to clean it. I have built a intake cover out of the thumb of a latex glove and a makeshift gasket over the exhaust port out of the palm of the glove and using the heat shield as a backing plate. I also capped the impulse line so I think I can take her down to pressure wash and not get water inside.

I need to find a way to mount the degree wheel so I can get some numbers. I have about finished reading the pertinent parts of Jennings tuning book and am excited to get some readings to calc the T/A of the stock cyl so I can compare the big bore and mod from there.

I went and bought the flex shaft for my Dremel to make it easier to get in those small ports and bought a couple carbide burr bits to try out. I also got some dychem to help with some layout.

Here are some cell phone pics of the saw tore down, the work area and the big bore kit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 16
And some more pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 14
So I got the main parts to the car wash and cleaned them well and built my degree wheel.
For those interested I bought this "pro-wheel" off amazon because it came with the three spacers for attaching the degree wheel hoping one would work. One measured at just under 5/8" and the jojoba chuck from harbor freight uses a 1/2-20 thread so I figured that would be close enough. Bought the bolt and fender washer at fastenall and was off to the races. Pictures below for part numbers for anyone else looking to build this setup. Worked well with the drill chuck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 19
So I started by finding TDC. I remounted my muffler so the mag base had something to grab and found a 6 degree spot the dial indicator did not see movement at the top so I made the assumption that TDC should be set to the middle. Then I got some duration numbers and squish for the stock saw.

Stock cyl and piston looked to be in pretty good shape. I feel I could reinstall without the gasket and it would run well with a new ring. I will put it in a shelf incase I get another down the road.

Here is what I got:
Exhaust
Open 100
Close 263
Delta 163

Intake
Open 292
Close 68
Delta 136

Squish 44 thousandths
Gasket approx 17 thousandths

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 11
I then installed the piston with no rings and bolted up the big bore kit. I noticed the two exhaust side mounting holes seemed slightly off so I might need to open them up slightly so I am not side loading the mounting bolts. Anyone know the torque for these bolts?

Here are the numbers I measured:
Exhaust
Open 97
Close 255
Delta 158

Intake
Open 281
Close 71

Squish 30 thousandths (with no gasket)
Note: this is not torqued down just snugged because I was unsure of what torque to apply. This could change some but I feel I am way over the 20 thou minimum recommended.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 10
Next I will measure the ports to see if they are dimensionally the same or bigger to go with the bigger displacement and then determine the amount I need to port from there.

I put in the heat shield and found the top of the port will need some cleaning to match there.

Back