Nice maine firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What,s the reason for chains on the front tires? Wouldn't it work better on the rears?

What,s the reason for chains on the front tires? Wouldn't it work better on the rears?
just front chains are pretty common out here with the small cables...rear doesn't really need them since most weight is transferred to the rear...mainly just to help steer since the front end is so light...
hell the entire machine is light, those 440's only weigh around 15k...

They are hard working little machines though. Lots of fun too.

I've always used chains for chokers, never the cable chokers. How do you like those over chain? They look a little long...

They are hard working little machines though. Lots of fun too.

I've always used chains for chokers, never the cable chokers. How do you like those over chain? They look a little long...
yeah they are good machines...we had a 440C back 12 years ago.
we also used chain chokers, they're nice as they don't send a frayed wire through your hand when they get worn...downside is they take a little more effort to get under the log...

I agree those are way long, barely get the log off the ground before the sliders are going around the drum:confused:

just front chains are pretty common out here with the small cables...rear doesn't really need them since most weight is transferred to the rear...mainly just to help steer since the front end is so light...
hell the entire machine is light, those 440's only weigh around 15k...

Yeah, I've been around 440 a bit. They are nice that you can tow them with a pickup truck and not need permits. 50th anniversary for the 440 this year.

My friend had a couple 440C grapple machines on a test program from JD back in the late 70s/early 80s.
He said you could tip them over almost on command.

Here's a nice one for sale in central Maine... this HTML class. Value is http://maine.craigsl

Anyhow for the chains, guess I'm just used to seeing a full set. Tires are expensive up here and chains help their lifespan. Last time I priced out a set of 2 fir the 648D I run it was almost $7000.

My friend had a couple 440C grapple machines on a test program from JD back in the late 70s/early 80s.
He said you could tip them over almost on command.
ive never even heard of that...definetly too small for a grapple, the weight of the grapple alone would probably almost be enough to tip it over:dizzy:
Anyhow for the chains, guess I'm just used to seeing a full set. Tires are expensive up here and chains help their lifespan. Last time I priced out a set of 2 fir the 648D I run it was almost $7000
yeah we have run full chains on all the skidders since the 440... 80's 640D dual arch (still have) , late 90's 648GIII dual arch, currently Cat 525C dual arch(POS), then a new 648L dual arch (will have in a few weeks)
11910137_464811880357457_2044019937_n.jpg

cat POS and the new 648L demo

Step dad moved a lot of sticks with a jd440 in the 30 years he used it ,sold it a few years ago when retired .

Hey jegushee1,

Just curious, do you sell firewood mostly to individual homeowners? Reason I ask, when I was at the Logging Show in Bangor this spring I talked to several guys that said they weren't doing treelength to individuals anymore because the numerous pellet mills were paying better and there was less hassle getting in, unloading and getting out. Are you seeing this in your local market?

Take Care

Latest posts

Back