nice skidder wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf66

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to pick up a decent skidder. I have went to go see so many already that "have been rebuilt" or "it aint pretty, but its tight" I want to find a nice good running and presentable skidder for a fair price. Also any thoughts on pro's and con's on a rear grapple ao just chains? Would also be interested in a tag along trailer and a buldozer with a 6 way blade

Whats the matter with "rebuilt"? Unless you're buying a brand new machine you're going to get a pile of spare parts moving in close formation. Rebuilt has many many meanings but if its been rebuilt by a reputable shop or dealer and theres any kind of warranty you're way ahead of buying a machine that has never been rebuilt. A machine that has never been rebuilt is still running a lot of original parts. As far as having a "presentable" machine...A skidder takes a real beating and if all the metal is fairly straight,the welds aren't cracked,all the subcomponents work (winch,grapples etc) then a little scuffed paint or oil stains or sap streaks won't really mean much to people who know. A "presentable" skidder is one that gets the logs to the landing...day after day after day.

this skidder does have a nice new motor and tranny however the ares that holds the winch has many welds holding it together with some reopenedcracks . The same with the front blade, welds over welds ans still opening cracks, no roof, rops are bent, tires poor. I really got to show you all a pic, it looks pretty abused. And to boot, he has a much newer one in mint condition in a barn that he uses. He has been in busisness for over 30 years and probaly has run the 1980 sence the 80's and now upgraded to a nice one. I am not looking for just a paint job, but something good running+ tight is important. I think welds on welds still opening cracks at vital areas is bad!

skidder

I am also looking for a skidder, so keep a lookout for me too.;)

this place (richard machinary) has some nice stuff. i am speaking with him now about one of 3 cable skidders I like. Thanks for that link, it is where i will probaly buy from.

this place (richard machinary) has some nice stuff. i am speaking with him now about one of 3 cable skidders I like. Thanks for that link, it is where i will probaly buy from.
let me know where that junk skidder is, kinda what I am looking for.

If theres any way you can do it a grapple skidder is a good way to go. I don't know anything about what kind of timber you're dealing with but if production is important a grapple is way faster than a cable rig.

I will agree, the grapple is king on the flat stuff. They are super fast and keep production high.They are also really nice prebunching loads for a forwarder. I work many lots that are mountain goat turf. The cable is the way to go for the steep stuff. One of these days I hope to have a grapple and will have both flavors in my iron arsenal.

Last edited:
Hired Gun,
Great job! I got a JD 440 about the same time you got yours. It still looks the same (except that bright yellow JD combine seat I put on it). I want to do some restoration to mine, but haven't had the time.

Andy

Back