nice skidder wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could have ran it the way that it was, and many probably would have. I take pride in my stuff. I spent some time fixing and puttering. I got to know a whole heck of alot about the machine. I know what leaks, what's good and what is/was bad. This is the machine as it sits right now.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/DarkHorse316/Ebaysawpics122-2.jpg
Thats a nice looking C5 you got there!What year is it?I ran a C5 for about year it was 1980 model,I liked that skidder alot.Actually the TJ380 I have is very similar to a C6.

Jon72, I am not sure on the year. The builder tag really doesn't have any information on it. I have yet to meet anyone that can tell me anything by the numbers on it. Every picture I see of one either from the late 60's to the mid seventies has something in common with mine. I saw a good picture once of an original 1974 and they looked really close. I tend to think it is somewhere in there 72-74 but still not 100% sure. I came real close to buying a Timberjack 230 at the same time I was looking at this one. I just couldn't come up with the extra cash. I have some more support on my side now. The wife has seen how much can be made by rehabbing a machine, and she has more confidence in my work so I may have some more financial backing on my next purchase. I have been bit by the iron bug bad!! :dizzy:

Last edited:
I have a Franklin 130B cable skidder and a John Deere 550B w/six way blade for sale as well as a tandum log truck and woodmizer sawmill.

Last edited:
I have a Franklin 130B cable skidder and a John Deere 550B w/six way blade for sale as well as a tandum log truck and woodmizer sawmill. If interested call me a 919-452-5737

Ryan are you closing your logging business ??

I quit logging back in July, so yes:greenchainsaw: I've been doing a lot of arborculture work again, although I prefer logging. I do a lot of pruning now as well as take downs, I prefer the takedowns though I seem to get more calls for pruning.

I quit logging back in July, so yes:greenchainsaw: I've been doing a lot of arborculture work again, although I prefer logging. I do a lot of pruning now as well as take downs, I prefer the takedowns though I seem to get more calls for pruning.

Ryan,
Do you find that there is more money in the arborculture work then the logging right now.I know here in Canada the price of timber has really fallen off in the past few months.

skidder

my first skidder i ran was a c5c treefarmer took a 40 acre field to turn it around. we put a grapple on it. it took a while to get used to but it ran and made money.

now we have a 450 grapple timberjack alot faster and safer to run. i dont know how many times i hade stuff come in the cab of that c5 pin my legs up. get smacked in the face on a cold winter day. i have many storys with that old skidder.

but i wish i still had it for little stuff. always did a good job. i can say ive ran the worst to the best. there almost isnt a skidder i havent ran yet. it was real hard going from a 648G2 jd with air radio cb to the old treefarmer. i was helping a guy out when it was wet.

you did a great job on yours that thing looks like it just came out. great job

I think I will keep this around even when I get a newer one. My next machine will be a grapple and have a winch. I may take the chassis and turn it into a small forwarder or porter if you are Canadian :D

log show

i went to an in woods expo in arkansas last weekend. they had all the new stuff there. tigercat, john deere, valmet, and ponsee, i would like to have some of that equipment. they had all the works there. they had live demonstrations of everything. they each cut off 2 acres i think.

it was like disney world to me.

Last spring I went to our logging show up here in VT. It was the same iron wonderland. It is nice to go out and pull wood all day with the old Tree Farmer and top the fuel tank off with a 5 gallon diesel can at the end of the day. The sales rep from Tigercat told me the smallest machine they have burns 4-6 gallons an hour pulling. That is a hard pill to swallow for a little guy like me. I think the next machine I end up with will be a mid 90's Cat 515 or 525. They seem to be priced around what I am willing to spend. If T-jack was still in business I would probably go that route. Chasing parts for obsolete machines isn't much fun.

Latest posts

Back