Night feedings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who feeds their stoves at night?

• Usually

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Only when it's especially cold

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • Never, just get it ripping again in the AM

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here are pics of my stove @ 11:00 last night and then 7:30 this morning...

I don't think I have sleep that long in FOREVER...

I used to get up in the middle of the night , but know I just let it burn out and get a fresh fire going before I head to work at 4:45 in the AM , house temp at bed time (9pm) is usually 75* morning temp @ 4am 67*-69* on average

We have a Hearthstone Mansfield. No middle of the night feedings required. Some days I do not even restart teh stove until noon the next day. Just scoop soem ashes out and add wood. No matches needed after the first initial fire.

Boy Ian that setup is sure nice your making me jealous. The only thing I had room for was a small Lopi insert, don't get me wrong she has treated me good but I would love to have your setup. Oh by the way I just loaded the stove with a mix of some red elm and some locust so I should be able to sleep in tomorrow.

I was up at 2:45 last night 2 P so I reloaded it and then my wife was up around 5:30 and put a few more pieces in. Now it's 7:30 and I could easily chuck a few more in. In fact, I think I will.

Ian

It went well and we're loving the heat! We just have to figure out a good routine. --Ian

attachment.php

nice setup, hh!
looks like selkirk superpipe with finishing bands running to the chimney. good stuff, you lose a little radiation with double wall pipe but you get more draft as a result.
i especially like the way the dog eared corners of the tile work with the shape of the stove door!

el cheapo tip: i use old welding gloves for loading the fire. if you have any friends who weld they will always have some old ones laying around.

nice stove, enjoy it!

It's Simpson Duravent... double wall to the thimble and triple outside. Anyone familiar with it?

Ian

Big old Sam Daniels furnace in the cellar always holds plenty of coals for an easy fire up in the morning. When it's 20 below out the propane furnace does come on but doesn't work too hard. I'm not about to run up and down stairs at three in the morning.

It's Simpson Duravent... double wall to the thimble and triple outside. Anyone familiar with it?

Ian

Yes I am familiar with Simpson's....we have reffered our customers to it for
a very long time.
We now sell it...our pricing is 30% off of retail.
It's got a great warranty too.

I like your beautiful stove.My concern for you is that there needs to be at least 1" of rise per foot on those horizontal runs.
Having 2 90 degree elbows could also be an issue as far as creosote with next to nothing for a rise.
Outside of that ....keep an eye on it to keep it clean.

In 11 years I have never needed to get up to load my furnace.
Even at 30 below 0 temps.
Since I'm not getting any younger I enjoy not burning all that much wood either.
My hole home stay toasty too!
Having an efficient furnace makes sence.
I'm always looking at the numbers,cause they don't lie.
11 years times 6 cords is 66 cords.
I could have had something else that requires way may loadings and gone through 132 cords.

Here's one 6 cords times 30 years is 180 or double that is 360 which is what I could have gone through in many other furnaces that do not have a reburn,thermostat or thermal mass with a barometric draft regulator.

So as simple as a question all night burn times are.
The answer goes a lot deeper if you think about it.
No liquid fuel bills and getting to sleep all night plus no relighting.
How could it get any better while keeping the stat at 73 degrees?

With the large Blaze King overnight burns are easy.I'll add wood in the morning even though I have wood that is still intact and when I get home from work 12 hours later this thing is still warming the house and not needing a feeding until sometime after supper.

We have a Jotul Firelight 600. It never seems to go out. Fill it up before bed and in the morning toss in a few sticks to get it going. Then we fill it up after we get home for the day. We use about 2 books of matches per season and we kind of tell when spring is coming by the match supply.

Since we have an OWB the thought of getting up in the middle of the night to feed it makes me cringe....as for getting hubby to feed it...forget it....he cuts, kids stck and momma feeds the outside child...

My last check on the "outside child" is generally around 10:30 at night.....morning feedings come around 6-9 AM...just depending how cold it is outside or how cold it is in the house.

My brother gets up every night at around 3:00 to feed his stove in the basement. He sleeps on the second floor. He gets that puff back if he chokes his stove down too much. He needs a liner in his chimney and vermiculite all around. I feed mine at around 10 at night and the little woman is usually up at about 6 to feed it in the morning. Then before work I fill it up. She adds through the day and it all starts over again at night.

Just had a newborn, so I figure since I am up changing a Poo.. I might as well stuff the stove... (Not with the diaper of course).

I own a F600 and stuff the stove at night around 10:30 and close down the damper to about 20%. In the morning I throw some logs on and open the ash pan door for about 5min to burn off the creosote in the chimney. My wife is work at home so she tends to the fire throughout the day. We save big dollars on oil costs with our stove. I just wish it burned hotter.

Don't need to load the stove during the night, and although we heat with softwoods almost entirely, there are almost always enough coals to get things going in a hurry come morning. It's hard to imagine not having an efficient wood burner. We heat with less than 3 cords a winter. The house needs some extra insulating, but it's hard to get motivated to do that when it's so easy to go get another load of wood. Don't get me wrong, insulation is in the works, we're just not there yet. Still I remember the days of nighttime feedings of the woodstove, and am glad to have forgotten them!

I keep her going when the temp gets down below 20 degrees. When we have four months of rain and lows in the 30s, I will let her run down over night.

This last winter, I kept it running for three weeks straight.

I had to push snow off the roof four times.

Normally load it up tight around 10pm and usually get up in the middle of the night but stay lite till morn if i have some good hardwood in there

Latest posts

Back