Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's CL score. Was just listed as a "chainsaw". No model or manufacture name stated. Few details in the ad. Just said it "needed a new gasoline reservoir". The seller told me he got it as part of a batch of tools and stuff from somebody that owed him money. Said it started leaking when he filled it with fuel, and his wife got pissed at him for spilling fuel in the tool shed (yikes). Probably just needs a new duckbill in the tank vent and/or new lines.

Haven't even wiped it off yet. Shot the pics when I got home. Compression feels great, and the saw looks to have almost no use. My guess is that the guy never even tightened (let alone sharpened) the chain. Has a 76DL loop of funky Oregon vanguard chain. No sharkfins, but it has the 'folded over' rakers. Haven't yet decided if I'll replace the 'optimistic' 22" bar with a 16" or 18" bar.......or just keep it on there. Might be handy for reach, as this will be a limbing and larger bucket saw for me. Don't see 'burying' the 22" bar anytime soon...

Looks like the exhaust melted the left side of the cylinder cover for some reason. Not sure why yet. Looks to be around the joint between the muffler halves. Maybe it was leaking there (possibly due to a clogged spark screen I'm guessing). Rim drive sprocket looks almost new. AV buffers and AF look good.

I'm gonna do a MM, fix the tank vent, replace the fuel line, and probably rebuild the carb. These saws have a Walbro HDA correct? Which kit do these carbs take? I'd greatly appreciate if one of you fine folks would send me an IPL and SM for these saws. Been wanting one of these for a while.............ever since I missed out on the TSC run of 'em a few years ago (and all the positive press they got here at that time). I like seeing the Max RPM advisement on the AF cover. Handy...............although I'll still tune it by ear..:msp_thumbup:

Way to go. Check that muffler out to make sure its sealing at the joint. Carb kit is a K22-HDA.

Here is the IPL, the only service manual is for the olders of that series but most still applys. PM your email if you want it.

Aaron,

Nice saw, it does need a muffler mod bad from the factory and the spark screen is wrapped around the insert like every other Poulan. Mike and I have a couple of ported ones and they are really strong when done right. If you get real ambitious pull the base gasket out, convert to .325 (I run a 8 pin) and 18" bar, really a sweet set-up for that saw.

Mine will run with any 60cc saw out there, the AV on these are great, good power, and a very good air filtration system. Poulan was really on to something with these saws just too bad the vacuum cleaner company decided to basically kill off the good saws from this brand.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I agree about the quality of this model, and your lamentation that the vac guys 'sucked' the life out of Poulan. Now to find a PP380...:D

Way to go. Check that muffler out to make sure its sealing at the joint. Carb kit is a K22-HDA.

Here is the IPL, the only service manual is for the olders of that series but most still applys. PM your email if you want it.

Thanks a bunch Mark. I lucked out on this one. It didn't trip my CL notifications software on my phone as he only had it listed as a chainsaw (I have searches saved for several saw models, including the PP330 and 380). Was killing a bit of time on Friday and found it while browsing CL. I was able to identify the saw from his blurry pics. Will PM you my email address in a sec.

[Today's CL score. Was just listed as a "chainsaw". No model or manufacture name stated. Few details in the ad. Just said it "needed a new gasoline reservoir". The seller told me he got it as part of a batch of tools and stuff from somebody that owed him money. Said it started leaking when he filled it with fuel, and his wife got pissed at him for spilling fuel in the tool shed (yikes). Probably just needs a new duckbill in the tank vent and/or new lines.

Haven't even wiped it off yet. Shot the pics when I got home. Compression feels great, and the saw looks to have almost no use. My guess is that the guy never even tightened (let alone sharpened) the chain. Has a 76DL loop of funky Oregon vanguard chain. No sharkfins, but it has the 'folded over' rakers. Haven't yet decided if I'll replace the 'optimistic' 22" bar with a 16" or 18" bar.......or just keep it on there. Might be handy for reach, as this will be a limbing and larger bucket saw for me. Don't see 'burying' the 22" bar anytime soon...

Looks like the exhaust melted the left side of the cylinder cover for some reason. Not sure why yet. Looks to be around the joint between the muffler halves. Maybe it was leaking there (possibly due to a clogged spark screen I'm guessing). Rim drive sprocket looks almost new. AV buffers and AF look good.

I'm gonna do a MM, fix the tank vent, replace the fuel line, and probably rebuild the carb. These saws have a Walbro HDA correct? Which kit do these carbs take? I'd greatly appreciate if one of you fine folks would send me an IPL and SM for these saws. Been wanting one of these for a while.............ever since I missed out on the TSC run of 'em a few years ago (and all the positive press they got here at that time). I like seeing the Max RPM advisement on the AF cover. Handy...............although I'll still tune it by ear..:msp_thumbup:[/QUOTE]

Throw it away NOW. It will give you plasticitis and you will be sorry. Makes your thinghy fall off.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I agree about the quality of this model, and your lamentation that the vac guys 'sucked' the life out of Poulan. Now to find a PP380...:D

Thanks a bunch Mark. I lucked out on this one. It didn't trip my CL notifications software on my phone as he only had it listed as a chainsaw (I have searches saved for several saw models, including the PP330 and 380). Was killing a bit of time on Friday and found it while browsing CL. I was able to identify the saw from his blurry pics. Will PM you my email address in a sec.

Nothing wrong with stumbeing onto them. Its more fun that way.

The 1st MM saw I ran was a ported 330 and it was very impressive. I believe that saw is now the one Moparman has.

Yes it is in my possession and if the good Lord is willing, it will be here for a long time to come!
It is still a great runner as Mark and Randy B. can attest.

I have to wonder though.................................................what could Mastermind do with one now, after the added experience of a hundred or so port jobs?................:rock:

Mike

Today's CL score. Was just listed as a "chainsaw". No model or manufacture name stated. Few details in the ad. Just said it "needed a new gasoline reservoir". The seller told me he got it as part of a batch of tools and stuff from somebody that owed him money. Said it started leaking when he filled it with fuel, and his wife got pissed at him for spilling fuel in the tool shed (yikes). Probably just needs a new duckbill in the tank vent and/or new lines.

I'm gonna do a MM, fix the tank vent, replace the fuel line, and probably rebuild the carb. These saws have a Walbro HDA correct? Which kit do these carbs take? I'd greatly appreciate if one of you fine folks would send me an IPL and SM for these saws. Been wanting one of these for a while.............ever since I missed out on the TSC run of 'em a few years ago (and all the positive press they got here at that time). I like seeing the Max RPM advisement on the AF cover. Handy...............although I'll still tune it by ear..:msp_thumbup:

hey, that's nice lookin! I haven't seen one of those yet, must still be a lot out there still working.

Throw it away NOW. It will give you plasticitis and you will be sorry. Makes your thinghy fall off.

LOL. Guys have been telling me I need a 'modern' saw in my working stable. This oughta shut 'em up. Not what they're expecting however. Doesn't feel as 'plastic' as many other 'modern' saws that I've ran. I like that the AV buffers are pretty firm. Can't STAND a 'squishy' saw. That and limited coils are my two biggest gripes about many of the modern saws. I like to tune by ear.

Yes it is in my possession and if the good Lord is willing, it will be here for a long time to come!
It is still a great runner as Mark and Randy B. can attest.

I have to wonder though.................................................what could Mastermind do with one now, after the added experience of a hundred or so port jobs?................:rock:

Mike

That thought has already crossed my mind Mike. Randy has already done a PP330, so he's got 'em down pat I'm sure. I have a few saws already in mind to send to Mastermoobs. This one may just get added to the list.............although I'll probably stick with a MM and maybe omitting the base gasket for a while.

hey, that's nice lookin! I haven't seen one of those yet, must still be a lot out there still working.

Yep. They were made until around 2007 or so IIRC, so I'll bet there are lots of them out there running still. TSC 'dumped' a bunch of 'em onto the market about three years ago too. I'm thinking that's where mine came from. It's the first PP330/PP380/3450/3750 type I've seen in the area though. Seen many of the older 2700-3300 saws here over the years. My local buddy Dave (Ckelp here) had a PP330 years ago (was his first saw), so they had to have been sold here at some point. He'll be miffed that he missed this deal, as he recently said he was looking for a replacement PP330.:D

LOL. Guys have been telling me I need a 'modern' saw in my working stable. This oughta shut 'em up. Not what they're expecting however. Doesn't feel as 'plastic' as many other 'modern' saws that I've ran. I like that the AV buffers are pretty firm. Can't STAND a 'squishy' saw. That and limited coils are my two biggest gripes about many of the modern saws. I like to tune by ear.

That thought has already crossed my mind Mike. Randy has already done a PP330, so he's got 'em down pat I'm sure. I have a few saws already in mind to send to Mastermoobs. This one may just get added to the list.............although I'll probably stick with a MM and maybe omitting the base gasket for a while.

Yep. They were made until around 2007 or so IIRC, so I'll bet there are lots of them out there running still. TSC 'dumped' a bunch of 'em onto the market about three years ago too. I'm thinking that's where mine came from. It's the first PP330/PP380/3450/3750 type I've seen in the area though. Seen many of the older 2700-3300 saws here over the years. My local buddy Dave (Ckelp here) had a PP330 years ago (was his first saw), so they had to have been sold here at some point. He'll be miffed that he missed this deal, as he recently said he was looking for a replacement PP330.:D

Beware Aaron. If you leave the time warp you may not be able to return.

Beware Aaron. If you leave the time warp you may not be able to return.

Yikes. I better go heft some of my big old Mag to keep things in balance. As it is........this lone 'modern' saw is surrounded by a few hundred pounds (and a couple thousand CC) worth of old mag saws. Probably feels about as outnumbered/alone as the Husky 257 and the Craftsman WT type saw that I had in the shop for a short while. They couldn't wait to get outa here...:cool2:

Last edited:
Picked up this 5200 for $25.00 off CL (seller's asking price). Apparently it quit running and now does not have spark.

Poulan5200fromAZ3.jpg

Pulled the muffler and the P&C look good. Put the tester on it and pulled it over 5 times and had 170 # + on the gauge.

Poulan5200fromAZ5.jpg

Think I may do a bit of swapping (i.e. front handlebar) off the one I picked up at Wiggs's GTG about 6 weeks ago.

Poulan5200fromAZ2.jpg

Came with a little 16" GB bar and chain as well as the original manual.

Well Gary, Has anyone told ya lately that You Suck! :D I'll give ya $30 to take that crappy looking thing off your hands, so you don't have to mess with it. lol:msp_sneaky:

:cheers:
Gregg,

I got this in a box of junk I bought for $25 at an auction today. Cleaned the tank and the Carb, added fresh mix, cranked it twice and away she went.

You got a very clean saw for a great price :bowdown:. The last 306 I saw in person was in a pawn shop for $129.00; it clean for it's age, but not as nice as yours.

Today's CL score. Was just listed as a "chainsaw". No model or manufacture name stated. Few details in the ad. Just said it "needed a new gasoline reservoir".

Looks like the exhaust melted the left side of the cylinder cover for some reason. Not sure why yet.

Sometimes responding to the 'mystery saw ads pays off. As for the melting, that saw may've been left sitting at idle for too long too often.

Well it looks like I'll be building another of my Poulan 330 "Supers". I bought a cylinder and piston a couple of weeks ago and tonight bought what looks to be a fairly clean 330 with low compression (at least advertised that way). I hope this one goes faster than the 5020 project still in the tub apart.

This will be the first saw that I cut the squish band on and we are going to see just how much one of these can put out. If everything goes well I think I'll sell the first one I did (if this one will run like I think it will).

Poulan Pro 330 Chainsaw for Parts not Runnig | eBay

Well, the saw came in and now I am at a crossroads, the p/c is absolutely perfect and all it needs is a MM and fuel system rebuild.

Question is do I flip it or go ahead with plans of a screaming "super" 330? Gonna be a tough decision.

Well, the saw came in and now I am at a crossroads, the p/c is absolutely perfect and all it needs is a MM and fuel system rebuild.

Question is do I flip it or go ahead with plans of a screaming "super" 330? Gonna be a tough decision.

good for you. low compression eh? i think the answer is obvious since you know what you wanna do. do build your screamer and flip the other one you did. unless of course you decide you "need" two 330's. really a simple answer. follow your heart.

Awsome find. Did you get a chance to scan that manual into a pdf yet?

Hi Mark,

I just got it yesterday from Brian. I told him I was looking (more like hoping) for one of these so he gave me a copy. I haven't had a chance to scan it but I'm guessing there's not one floating around the site. I may not have time until between Christmas and New Year's to scan it but when I get it done I'll post it to Media fire and post the link up here and I guess on the Pioneer thread for those lucky enough to need one.

Tim

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back