Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well when the Poulan Pro line was introduced, it was to put the pro saws in the hands of the stocking dealers only, thats why the change to yellow.

They were getting upset at the saws being sold in the box/farm stores etc.

As you can see with the Elux deal, things got switched around alot and Poulan ended up becoming a consumer only brand but they seemed to keep the Poulan Pro brand to be used where ever.

Thanks, Mark. I figured it might just be marketing but didn't understand the logic.

Gregg, you and Bob did an awesome job recalling all the saws from that era that use the D176 mount but I thought I'd muddy the waters just a bit by adding that the 6900, 7700, 8500 saws have a 3/8" bar stud and require a D196 mount. Those are the ones you need the S clip to mount onto the others.

My mind isn't sharp enough to recall ALL of the models that might have used that mount Steve.:dizzy: Just tried to name some common ones. I did leave out the 6900, 7700, 8500 line. I know they are different, and so few of us are fortunate enough to have those models! :D:D

What saws or projects you working on these days Steve? Any rare oldies like the 52?

:cheers:
Gregg,

Last edited:
Gregg, you and Bob did an awesome job recalling all the saws from that era that use the D176 mount but I thought I'd muddy the waters just a bit by adding that the 6900, 7700, 8500 saws have a 3/8" bar stud and require a D196 mount. Those are the ones you need the S clip to mount onto the others.

The Craftsman 3.4, 3700 and the 5200 I have all came with Windsor bars. I bought an NOS 16" Windsor for the one without to replace the beat up Husky bar on it.

I'm guessing they came that way in Canada. I cannot figure the number codes on the bars as the 16 in and 20 in are all different. Maybe Poulan ordered them that way. The NOS bar came with an "S" clip and was sold to a guy with a 3400 by a Poulan dealer.
The 20" that came on the 3700 looks like it was used for sword fighting for about 200 years.

Last edited:
I understand that the 330 and the 3450 are the same saw in different colors but I am curious why? Is it because they made them at different times or what?

Adding to the confusion was that the 3450 came in 4 types(1,2,3and 4). The type 3 had a Gilardoni cylinder that produced , I believe 64cc or maybe 61cc's, same as the 3750. Why they did this escapes me.
Bob

Bars

You can also use bars from many homelites and Mac saws on the 3400 and such saws. Many of the newer prolites and other oregons have slotted holes to make them universal. I have a 20 I switched between my Mac 610 and 3400 a few times..... Till the 610 went away to make room for more green:)

The Craftsman 3.4, 3700 and the 5200 I have all came with Windsor bars. I bought an NOS 16" Windsor for the one without to replace the beat up Husky bar on it.

I'm guessing they came that way in Canada. I cannot figure the number codes on the bars as the 16 in and 20 in are all different. Maybe Poulan ordered them that way. The NOS bar came with an "S" clip and was sold to a guy with a 3400 by a Poulan dealer.
The 20" that came on the 3700 lookks like it was used for sword fighting for about 200 years.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the older Windsor bars came with an S-clip, so they could be used on a variety of saws. Many Poulans came with a Windsor bar as original equipment also. I personally like the Windsor bars, and use a number of them. Just wish I had more of the clips. Many of the old "junker" Poulan saws I have bought, have Windsor bars on them, that don't have the s-clips on them. The people just ran them (sloppily) without. :dizzy: Of course I could say the same for air filters, fuel filters, etc. too. Nothing really surprises me any more the way some folks ran or tried to maintain a saw. LOL

Gregg,

2300 cva

I just pulled the covers and muffler on that 2300 CVA I picked up to see what they're all about, to clean and inspect it. That is one nicely built saw and quite a few cc's stuffed into a small package. I can see why they sold so well. It looks like the previous owner took very good care of it.

I just need to pick up an air filter (perished) and a chain for it and give it a try.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the older Windsor bars came with an S-clip, so they could be used on a variety of saws. Many Poulans came with a Windsor bar as original equipment also. I personally like the Windsor bars, and use a number of them. Just wish I had more of the clips. Many of the old "junker" Poulan saws I have bought, have Windsor bars on them, that don't have the s-clips on them. The people just ran them (sloppily) without. :dizzy: Of course I could say the same for air filters, fuel filters, etc. too. Nothing really surprises me any more the way some folks ran or tried to maintain a saw. LOL

Gregg,

Just a tool to most people and how many people look after their tools? Thankfully, there were a few really fussy guys out there to give us the odd really nice one.

Hey Wagnerwerks....I'm a novice @ this, but shouldn't I be able to swap my 20" bar from Poulan pro 5020av for the a 16" bar or should I take it to a Chainsaw shop?:confused:

You can also use bars from many homelites and Mac saws on the 3400 and such saws. Many of the newer prolites and other oregons have slotted holes to make them universal. I have a 20 I switched between my Mac 610 and 3400 a few times..... Till the 610 went away to make room for more green:)

Hey Wagnerwerks....I'm a novice @ this, but shouldn't I be able to swap my 20" bar from Poulan pro 5020av for the a 16" bar or should I take it to a Chainsaw shop?:confused:

Well, from what ModifiedMark has stated the 5020 comes with a 3/8 pitch Oregon K041 bar mount. If you go 16 " I'm not sure you can get the K041 in a 3/8 pitch. Likely .325 pitch. I'm sure someone will elaborate if a 16" can come in a 3/8 pitch. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer, though I'll do a little research.

Bob

Gregg,

Just throwing this out there.

My 4000 came with 18" 3/8 050 replaceable tip windsor with S clip. I sold it PHO and left the clip on it. The bar seems to be a D196 D096 maybe that had S clip? I could be wrong but thinking that. Great shape and I would trade it for a 16-20 3/8 050 D176 or D009.

The 20" that came on the 3700 lookks like it was used for sword fighting for about 200 years.

For what its worth, most bar mounts discussed are focused on the Oregon numbering system, mainly because there the most common/popular but those really apply directly to Oregon bars.

For the record, as far as I ever knew, Windsor never made a direct copy of the D176 bar mount. There crossover mount was called a UXL mount and for all purposes was pretty much a D176 mount except the slot was 3/8's instead of 5/16". That was the need for the "s" clip stud spacer.

The upside to Windsor doing this is they had 1 part number to cover many more saws then just Poulans. The bar fit lots of other Homelites, Pioneers etc.

Without knowing what exact bar mount you had on the 610 that you swapped to your 3400 I would have to guess that you had the Oregon D176 mount as that was the Oregon replacement for the discontinued Oregon D276 McCulloch mount.

You cannot swap the D276 Mac mount back to a Poulan D176 saw though as they had no oil holes in the 276 bar. The D176 mount has the oil holes for the Poulan but will oil through the adjuster holes when mounted on a Mac like the original 276 bar did.

Well, from what ModifiedMark has stated the 5020 comes with a 3/8 pitch Oregon K041 bar mount. If you go 16 " I'm not sure you can get the K041 in a 3/8 pitch. Likely .325 pitch. I'm sure someone will elaborate if a 16" can come in a 3/8 pitch. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer, though I'll do a little research.

Bob

Bob, I wish I could go back and change that quote I did early in that thread I started on that 5020. I didnt look very close at that bar when I first got it and assumed it was a K041 bar which is WAS NOT ! I did correct that mistake a few post later and stated that it was in fact a K095 mount bar.

Reggie... I'm a little out of the Loop with what were trying to swap bars between. So much bar talk in here right now...lol. Bob covered it well up top.

The easiest thing to do is lay the two bars on top of each other and look at them. You need it to mount with the right tail shape and oil. Elementary my dear Watson. I'm pretty novice when it comes to this stuff and the other guys in here are like pros. After y buy and part out a big pile of saws, you start to notice a few things and it helps if you're curious enough to look up everything you may want to keep for your own saws and cross reference it all online. You end up with a pretty good pile of "almost right" parts that y just can't bring yourself to throw away. :)

Just throwing this out there.

My 4000 came with 18" 3/8 050 replaceable tip windsor with S clip. I sold it PHO and left the clip on it. The bar seems to be a D196 D096 maybe that had S clip? I could be wrong but thinking that. Great shape and I would trade it for a 16-20 3/8 050 D176 or D009.

Very well could be a D096 bar, I have said and shown before there virtually the same as the D176 bars except for the slot size.

Just get some stud spacers made and use that bar that you have.

For what its worth, most bar mounts discussed are focused on the Oregon numbering system, mainly because there the most common/popular but those really apply directly to Oregon bars.

For the record, as far as I ever knew, Windsor never made a direct copy of the D176 bar mount. There crossover mount was called a UXL mount and for all purposes was pretty much a D176 mount except the slot was 3/8's instead of 5/16". That was the need for the "s" clip stud spacer.

The upside to Windsor doing this is they had 1 part number to cover many more saws then just Poulans. The bar fit lots of other Homelites, Pioneers etc.

Without knowing what exact bar mount you had on the 610 that you swapped to your 3400 I would have to guess that you had the Oregon D176 mount as that was the Oregon replacement for the discontinued Oregon D276 McCulloch mount.

You cannot swap the D276 Mac mount back to a Poulan D176 saw though as they had no oil holes in the 276 bar. The D176 mount has the oil holes for the Poulan but will oil through the adjuster holes when mounted on a Mac like the original 276 bar did.

Bob, I wish I could go back and change that quote I did early in that thread I started on that 5020. I didnt look very close at that bar when I first got it and assumed it was a K041 bar which is WAS NOT ! I did correct that mistake a few post later and stated that it was in fact a K095 mount bar.

OOPS, look like I should have looked further. To help the OP, can he get a 16" bar w/o changing sprockets? is the current sprocket on the 5020 3/8?

Last edited:
Hey Redshun....check this out...
You can get em here Husqvarna Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's

Or here

16" Oregon Power Match Bar 3/8" .050" - [160RNDK095] - $44.95

Bob

Latest posts

Back