Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
91 is back together (one is for parts)

View attachment 317507View attachment 317508

The 91 is back together waiting for the additional parts, they should be here tomorrow.

It went together pretty good, used the tie strap and my 5 year old son to hold the end cap up so i could get the rod on.

The other 91 is parts only since it has a broken crank and the piston and cylinder is toast.

Did you ever finish this saw? I have to see the final result.

Chris B.

I don't post here much. Just a public service announcement: all vultures please stay off eBay until I get back from church and count my change. Thank you.

2013-11-10_15.26.58.jpg

Craftsman 3.3 I picked up off Ebay a couple weeks ago. I probably should have just left it alone... Perfect piston and cylinder, 168psi w/ .043 squish.

2013-11-10_15.27.30.jpg

Getting ready to cut the base on the South Bend. .026" clearance w/thicker paper base gasket. I don't know what the compression is yet, should be stout. Widened the exhaust port, matched the exhaust gasket, shield, and muffler. Dual ported muffler as well. Should be a real good runner, hope to eat a 346 or 2. I didn't want it real hot, just a fun, cheap, firewood saw. Will try to post updates, I don't plan on dragging this one out.

View attachment 318135

Craftsman 3.3 I picked up off Ebay a couple weeks ago. I probably should have just left it alone... Perfect piston and cylinder, 168psi w/ .043 squish.

View attachment 318136

Getting ready to cut the base on the South Bend. .026" clearance w/thicker paper base gasket. I don't know what the compression is yet, should be stout. Widened the exhaust port, matched the exhaust gasket, shield, and muffler. Dual ported muffler as well. Should be a real good runner, hope to eat a 346 or 2. I didn't want it real hot, just a fun, cheap, firewood saw. Will try to post updates, I don't plan on dragging this one out.

No doubt that should end up being a good runner! Let us see how you end up doing the muffler!

I,m working on a 82 can,t get the nut off the flywheel cup. I am trying to take it off clockwise am i right ?

quote="Green Blood, post: 4552119, member: 54813"]I,m working on a 82 can,t get the nut off the flywheel cup. I am trying to take it off clockwise am i right ?[/quote]
I have not had a82 in my hands yet, but all the sand cast saws that I have worked on so far have all been RH threads on the flywheel side. So counter clockwise to loosen.

Rocketnorton & Mark you were both right it came right off with the impact. Problem 2 the flywheel will not budge. Tryed the bass hammer while holding the flywheel up a no go a little heat and a lot of penetrant

Since you ladies seem to have dropped the ball as far as keeping up the post count in the Poulan thread, I'll report that the guy I'm working for, after work...( :O ) picked up the closeout of a local hardware stores OPE section.
Got MANY Poulan parts!!!
Lawn mower blades, belts, all kinds of Briggs parts and we haven't even started opening boxes yet!!!

Mike

While you guys were getting Linkbucked I was beating the bushes for this...

PoulanPro655BP1_zps2742fa58.jpg

PoulanPro655BP3_zpscda76687.jpg

PoulanPro655BP2_zps6c589735.jpg

Why?????

They are a GREAT firewood saw!!!

Good luck eating many 346's though. That's a pretty tall order!

Mike

Left it alone, as in not modifying it. Couldn't pass the deal I got on it for sure, I really like these saws. I think this one is going to hold its own, should be in 346 territory for a lot less money. Either way, I think it is going to make a real fine firewood saw.

No doubt that should end up being a good runner! Let us see how you end up doing the muffler!

I will try and snag a picture in a bit. I cut a slit in front of the stock exit (on the front half of the muffler), and bent it out to match the stock one. Looks pretty nice, kept it simple.

Rocketnorton & Mark you were both right it came right off with the impact. Problem 2 the flywheel will not budge. Tryed the bass hammer while holding the flywheel up a no go a little heat and a lot of penetrant

Some of the big old flywheels can be tough to get off. I have had to resort to a pair of pry bars wedged between the case and the flywheel, then move up to a bigger hammer.

I don't like to heat them and you should consider a new crank seal for it since you heated yours.

Before I forget guys... This Craftsman/ Sears 3.3 did not have an impulse hose on it when I got it, just a chewed off piece of hose on the nipple on the case, and different piece of broken off hose on the carb. Could anyone care to enlighten me on the part number, or suitable impulse hose and how it is routed on this thing? It must be 3-4" long from what I can guess, and must pass through with the toggle wire, unless I am not understanding correctly.

Latest posts

Back