Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
f67814da7ffba2014135450d8df881fe.jpg
want to think every body that helped me get that 3400 bow going this first time dad used his saw in 10 + years he said it's running great !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Its good to see our dads still doing stuff they enjoy, cherish the moments while ya can, I do all the time, I miss mom.

Steve

I cut this oak tree today, let's say it did not go as planned. The tree was literally top soil 1" inside the bark at the cut. I pinched the saw 3/4" in and new something was wrong. Removed saw from bar and picked up another saw. Cut the backside 3/4" and she went down. The tree looked very healthy 3ft from the ground and showed no rot.
a5dc3ba997a7395006c72e9c933556d3.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
Been there, those can be widow makers, don't know which way those will drop, that's why we use a bobcat on a lot of trees we cut to put pressure on the way we want the tree to go. Lately we been using the mini excavator, tracks don't get stuck as fast a tires do.

Steve

I think so the adjuster hole lined up with the oiler hole

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Both mounts run the same lengths chain . If it was oiling, the chain was not rubbing on the inside of the cover and chip flow was good maybe you found a suitable substitute. ;)

Anybody know the initial carb settings on the 3450. It's that Walbro 164 that had goofy issues off and on. I think I saw 2 full out to start on H & L but not sure. I compromised with the regular 1 out and went 1 1/2. It will sit there and idle with no problem but falls on its face as soon as I hit the throttle.

Anybody know the initial carb settings on the 3450. It's that Walbro 164 that had goofy issues off and on. I think I saw 2 full out to start on H & L but not sure. I compromised with the regular 1 out and went 1 1/2. It will sit there and idle with no problem but falls on its face as soon as I hit the throttle.
Not sure but I'd open Lo needle a little more.

Yes you need to do at least 2 turns out and then go from there. That goofy issue was caused by a check valve that goes bad in the high speed circuit of the carb. Unfortunately you can not get the check valve that is located under one of the welch plugs to replace it. Other wise they are good carbs and work fine.

Yes you need to do at least 2 turns out and then go from there. That goofy issue was caused by a check valve that goes bad in the high speed circuit of the carb. Unfortunately you can not get the check valve that is located under one of the welch plugs to replace it. Other wise they are good carbs and work fine.
Tell me more about this check valve under the welch plug. I have a homelite 901 that has been killing me. Stalls in wood and will not adjust out. It has a Walbro carb but has welch plugs. I have a homelite shop manual that states, "if your 901 has the Walbro carb, do not clean with compressed air or you will damage the check valve." Well...you know I done blew it our real good with compressed air before I read that. So what is this check valve like? Can it be replaced? Help me Bro!

Well, It seems everybody in the Poulan thread has a 3000 or one of its close kin, except me. Until now. :D I havn't done much to this one, other than break it down some to de-gunk it. I did put a chain catcher and bushing that was missing on it. Removed the one plate inside the muffler and spark screen.
It came to me with a kinda rusty 16" bar. I decided to go with a 18" instead. New chain, Oregon LPX .325 I won't be racing, and I like the added little reach of the 18". Starts and runs very well! Had to richen both screws some. Sounds great! Will adjust further probably once I get it into some wood. Have several saws waiting for that! :rolleyes:

Poulan3000%20003_zpsvhegfmtm.jpg

Poulan3000%20002_zpsftxdcje1.jpg

Poulan3000%20009_zpsx8rvxiau.jpg

Poulan3000%20004_zpsbfl3zvrr.jpg

Gregg,

Well, It seems everybody in the Poulan thread has a 3000 or one of its close kin, except me. Until now. :D I havn't done much to this one, other than break it down some to de-gunk it. I did put a chain catcher and bushing that was missing on it. Removed the one plate inside the muffler and spark screen.
It came to me with a kinda rusty 16" bar. I decided to go with a 18" instead. New chain, Oregon LPX .325 I won't be racing, and I like the added little reach of the 18". Starts and runs very well! Had to richen both screws some. Sounds great! Will adjust further probably once I get it into some wood. Have several saws waiting for that! :rolleyes:

Poulan3000%20003_zpsvhegfmtm.jpg

Poulan3000%20002_zpsftxdcje1.jpg

Poulan3000%20009_zpsx8rvxiau.jpg

Poulan3000%20004_zpsbfl3zvrr.jpg

Gregg,

Very nice Gregg, it's in great shape!!! I have only made a couple small cuts with mine to try it out, so I am anxious to get it in some real wood as well. I really like this saw though and I'm sure you will too. I've got a 20" on mine with a brand new Oregon .325 chain as well. Twins haha!

20151231_160107_resized.jpg

Back