No Freaking wonder my cylinder got LOST!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Back on the 22nd of February I ordered a 5x24 cylinder from northern ... Well it never showed up.. Tracked and tracked it and it just quit moving 2 days after it left the warehouse... I called and they couldn't do anything for 5 days according to company policy..I called UPS and tried to get them to trace it.. They couldn't... Northern had placed a restriction on the package... What in the world..?? Finally after the 5 days were up.. ( I'm only 2 days away according to the ups chart) they re shipped.. It just now came... Shipped in a freaking plastic BAG!! All the labels are on the bag so I know it didn't fall out of a box... No wonder my first one got lost... It's a miracle this one didn't..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 272
What were they thinking??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 114
I worked in a shipping department for a company that makes earth augers for many companies, mainly Bobcat skidloaders though. Anywhere from 3" diameter up to 24" diameter, try boxing one of those puppies up. The smaller ones we started to but only due to labeling issues. We weren't worried about parts on the auger being broken though that's for sure. While I'm sure there is a proper way to box or crate up a cylinder, Northern Tool probably doesn't see it feasible due to cost. It's stupid, I know. I would think that they could take a box and just put some of those expandable foam packs in the ends to hold it but the cylinder would likely destroy that the way UPS/Fed Ex throw **** around. Still it would at least appear that they care. I just ordered a fuel tank and some other parts from Rock Auto, they just threw the wheel cylinders and other parts in the box the fuel tank came in, **** bouncing around the whole trip. Asshats...

I've seen lots of cylinders coming and going through shippers..never seen anything that size come in a plastic bag! Anything shipped UPS stands a good chance of being damaged because ..well, they suck...but a heavy box would have been all that was needed to protect it .

We get lots of raw stock shipped through UPS/Fedex and they come in those half heavy cardboard half Pine shipping containers , cheap and take a beating.

i bought my cylinders for my splitter from surplus center...they stuck it in a cardboard box...a 200+lb. cylinder in a cardboard box:dumb::dizzy:
the box and the cylinder both made it to me together...but they had definitely been apart a few times during the trip (cylinder punched its way out the end of the box:dizzy:

Northern Hydraulics could gave at least put a 2nd shipping sticker on the actual cylinder.

My thoughts exactly. Why bother with the plastic anyway, which is going to get torn off? Just put a label on the cylinder and call it good, which is still unacceptable, but at least it can be tracked and delivered.

Do you have a Northern Tool store nearby? I have ordered stuff and they ship to store free IIRC. Granted, closest store is 50 miles away.....They had same cylinder at the store a couple years ago in the discount rack for dirt cheap but I passed. Still wish I would have grabbed it.

I ordered a chainsaw bar one time, and received an empty box. The shipper had used a long rectangular box, but left it folded flat, and just put a single layer of packing tape over both ends. I got a full refund for that one.

That is typical for them from my experience and that is why I do not use them unless I have to, which hasn't happened in over 10 years now. They did make it right but the drawn out process and headache of it just isn't worth it to me. You can't tell me shipping stuff like this saves them money in the long run.

I bought my hydraulic supplies from James at Splitez.

MVC-018S_10.JPG

All the stuff came in boxes that were banded to a skid. Cylinders were held in place with wood and banded as well to keep them from banging together. Previous posted was dead on about dings. One small dent in the outer tube and it will junk the piston and pressure seals in a hurry leaving you with a boat anchor. Here is is unboxed but you can still see some of the "box" system he used on the smaller black cylinders. Done by someone who knows what can happen during shipping. No issues whatsoever and a happy customer. Can't say that for Northern.

Back