No more husky 372!Now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rmihalek said:
Jon72, Do you back the H screw out on the carb once you run 5 or 10 tanks of fuel through the saw? Maybe the saws are burning out so quickly because they're running lean after break in. What's the commercial warranty period: it's something like 90 days right?

It might only take a 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn to get the motor back to running slightly rich after break in.
A new saw for me runs rich.I run it for a whole day(at least ten tanks)like that to break it in.That evening I'll take it back and let the saw shop turn it up.They put a tach on it to be sure it's running 13,500rpm's.In my expierience a lean saw looses power.

spike60 said:
Nearly all of the parts interchange. In fact, they even have the same part numbers. Jonsered does use a "-" after the first 3 digits that Husky doesn't.

The exception of course it the top handle, as Jonsered uses a 90 degree handle vs. Husky's 7 degree offset. The starter assembly and top covers can be swapped only if done together. I have a Jonsered that had a lower end failure and I got a crankcase from a 372 and moved over all of the parts. So, I have a red saw with an orange crankcase, which I call the "Jonsky" (It is important that this saw start on the 2nd or 3rd pull since you don't want to be standing in the woods pulling on your Jonsky!)

Air filters: Jonsered uses the flat air filter, like you would find on a 365 or 362, which IMO is a bit better than the one Husky uses. It is easier to clean and costs less than the Husky filter. Plus you have the choice of felt or nylon. I think the Husky filter is more of a style/image thing to give the saw a K&N look. Here's a little known fact: Order either the 372 or the 575 XPG model with heated handles and it comes with the Jonsered filter. What does that tell you?

Concerning your 575 problems. If you had bought that many 372's from me, I would have found a way to warranty that saw. Especially with the known problems of the very early units.
After a few good tugs on my Husky it's handle turns into a 90 too!:rolleyes: I wouldn't want to get caught pulling my Jonsky either!:D

the fact that the xpg models come with flat style filter, tells me that they are supposed to be used in wet and cold conditions, with lesser dust and stuff in the air ,,, well thats just what I think ,, in Sweden Husqvarna only offers the xpg model :)
yep cold and wet thats Sweden most of the year ,,, got to love that ,,,

new saw for me runs rich.I run it for a whole day(at least ten tanks)like that to break it in.That evening I'll take it back and let the saw shop turn it up.They put a tach on it to be sure it's running 13,500rpm's.In my expierience a lean saw looses power.
A rev limited saw will always tach out to 13,500(or whatever), even if its drasticly lean.
I supect yours and most 575 owners problems are caused by lean conditions and lack of lubricant. If I owned one I would tune the carb lower than 13,500 and run no less than a 32:1 ratio.
I believe you can also take a coil of a 372 or 385, I forget which and put it on your 575. make sure its black coil as the blue 372 and 385 coils are rev limited as well.

bwalker said:
A rev limited saw will always tach out to 13,500(or whatever), even if its drasticly lean.
I supect yours and most 575 owners problems are caused by lean conditions and lack of lubricant. If I owned one I would tune the carb lower than 13,500 and run no less than a 32:1 ratio.
I believe you can also take a coil of a 372 or 385, I forget which and put it on your 575. make sure its black coil as the blue 372 and 385 coils are rev limited as well.

I'm with Ben on this one... but rev limiting coil are a pain to tune because it's not immediately obvious when the coil starts to limit. You might not see 13,500 and if you do it might be a false reading. They limit by skipping sparks, which drives the tach (and the adjuster) a bit nuts... My experience is with Stihl coils on weedeaters and cut-of-saws (need to rev limit because of speed limitations on the blades/wheels). I just set them to Std settings (like 1 turn out) and forget them.. Not optimal, but safe. The service adjustment on rev limiting coils on the 066 (some older versions only, thank god) were adjusted to like "11k on the tach, then turn the screw another 1/2 turn leaner". No thanks... So somewhere between the tach and the ear, I have to make a guess that's safe for the customer. hmmm... I asked Stihl about the problem and if it was possible to have a "defeat" link or something on the newer coil to assist serving - turns out that some guys in Stihl USA has been asking for similar things, but it's not their call..

What does the Husky SERVICE manual say about the adjustment method on the 575?

Lakeside53 said:
What does the Husky SERVICE manual say about the adjustment method on the 575?
I checked the service manual and found it did not say zilch. I then looked up the owner's manual and I quote the following from page 30:

High speed jet H
At the factory the engine is adjusted at sea level. When working at a high altitude or in different weather conditions, temperatures and atmospheric humidity, it may be necessary to make minor adjustments to the high speed jet.

Caution! If the high speed jet is screwed in too far, it might damage the piston/cylinder.

When test run at the factory, the high speed jet is set so that the engine satisfies the applicable legal requirements at the same time as achieving maximum performance. The carburettors's high speed jet is then locked using a limiter cap in the fully screwed out position. The limiter cap limits the potential to adjust the high speed jet to at most a half a turn.

Caution!There is an integrated speed governor in the ignition system that limits the maximum speed to 13600 rpm. The maximum speed will not exceed 13600 rpm when the high speed jet is adjusted (screwed in). When the speed governor is activated, you will get the same sound experience as when the chain saw 4-cycles.

To adjust the carburettor correctly you should contact a mechanic with access to a rev counter.

Caution!As the spark is cut off, the rev counter does not show speeds higher than 13600 rpm.

Correctly adjusted carburettor

When the carburettor is correctly adjusted the machine accelerates without hesitation and 4-cycles a little at full throttle. It is also important that the chain does not rotate at idle. If the L-jet is set too lean it may cause starting difficulties and poor acceleration. If the H-jet is set too lean the machine will have less power, poor acceleration and could suffer damage to the engine.

Here is a link to the 570 / 575XP owner's manual.

http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HOEN/HOEN2006/HOEN2006_1150204-26.pdf

Man I wish it would stop raining.

It's going to stop raining Monday when we ahave to go back to work!

Can't blame the possible 575 problems on the rev limited coil since we have been living with that thing on the 372's already. But as these saws are already so lean, and do run hotter, I agree that there must be less margin for error.

Ben, Are you seeing any top end failures or is it the lower bearing? Should anyone walk in with a 575 failure, I'll be thinking of you! And no,I won't have a problem admitting it, despite my "vested interest". (couldn't resist)

Regarding the 5000 372's a year post, I heard something to that effect myself. But I would have to say that it is still unconfirmed that there will be 5000 coming in for 2007. (But if they do, they will go pretty quick won't they?) But Husky does still make them for other markets. They even still make 268's for certain markets.

spike60 said:
It's going to stop raining Monday when we ahave to go back to work!

Can't blame the possible 575 problems on the rev limited coil since we have been living with that thing on the 372's already. But as these saws are already so lean, and do run hotter, I agree that there must be less margin for error.

Ben, Are you seeing any top end failures or is it the lower bearing? Should anyone walk in with a 575 failure, I'll be thinking of you! And no,I won't have a problem admitting it, despite my "vested interest". (couldn't resist)

Regarding the 5000 372's a year post, I heard something to that effect myself. But I would have to say that it is still unconfirmed that there will be 5000 coming in for 2007. (But if they do, they will go pretty quick won't they?) But Husky does still make them for other markets. They even still make 268's for certain markets.

LoL Spike save ya breath, its obvious Ben just does not like the 575 and thats that. Ole Dan doesn't like the 441 but instead of saying thats that I like tormenting his oreny hide. To level the field here abit about these bad models let me say I've replaced more top ends on 460's and 660's than I have 290's. I have seen one lower bearing go out on one 290 in the past 10 years. I'm told however the 290's are boat anchors, a dog and this and that yet I've sold 25 times more of them and have seen less of them come back for repair than the 460 and 660's. I've seen one 460 blow a rod bearing due to the user getting his diesel fuel mixed in with his fuel mix. I saw one 036 that got ran over by a bulldozer and get crushed, not a good model I guess, it couldn't stand the weight,LOL. I've never had one 361 come back for anything, does that mean none will ever come back to any dealer for a repair, no. Far as I'm concerned there will be a few lemons in all models no matter who makes it. There is aprox. 300 million people in the US and when a certain model starts failing by the thousands then I may think yes that saw has issues. This one or two deal just doesn't fly. I think its safe to say when the manufacture says the problem has been corrected it has in fact been corrected. Why would they lie about it when its their reputation on the line.

Last edited:
THALL10326 said:
LoL Spike save ya breath, its obvious Ben just does not like the 575 and thats that. Ole Dan doesn't like the 441 but instead of saying thats that I like tormenting his oreny hide. To level the field here abit about these bad models let me say I've replaced more top ends on 460's and 660's than I have 290's. I have seen one lower bearing go out on one 290 in the past 10 years. I'm told however the 290's are boat anchors, a dog and this and that yet I've sold 25 times more of them and have seen less of them come back for repair than the 460 and 660's. I've seen one 460 blow a rod bearing due to the user getting his diesel fuel mixed in with his fuel mix. I saw one 036 that got ran over by a bulldozer and get crushed, not a good model I guess, it couldn't stand the weight,LOL. I've never had one 361 come back for anything, does that mean none will ever come back to any dealer for a repair, no. Far as I'm concerned there will be a few lemons in all models no matter who makes it. There is aprox. 300 million people in the US and when a certain model starts failing by the thousands then I may think yes that saw has issues. This one or two deal just doesn't fly. I think its safe to say when the maufacture says the problem has been corrected it has in fact been corrected. Why would they lie about it when its their reputation on the line.
Very interesting point here that I agree with completely.
EVERY model saw, from EVERY company has replacement cylinders listed in the parts breakdowns. The reason of course, is that a few units of ALL of them will BLOW UP!! BANG!

We do have to recognize the human nature componet here. First, any bad news about a new model will cause people to suspect that there is a design flaw. And the guy who is unlucky enough to have one go bang may be so upset about it that he will hate the saw, hate the company, hate the dealer, hate his wife, and remember that he used to hate his 3rd grade teacher, Mrs Parker.

However I do agree with Ben in the sense that when a new model does come out of the gate with "issues", companies are usually tight lipped about it. But from my experience, 1 failure out of 25 to 30 saws, due to a problem that Husky DID admit to in early units, doesn't indicate a design flaw.

spike60 said:
Very interesting point here that I agree with completely.
EVERY model saw, from EVERY company has replacement cylinders listed in the parts breakdowns. The reason of course, is that a few units of ALL of them will BLOW UP!! BANG!

We do have to recognize the human nature componet here. First, any bad news about a new model will cause people to suspect that there is a design flaw. And the guy who is unlucky enough to have one go bang may be so upset about it that he will hate the saw, hate the company, hate the dealer, hate his wife, and remember that he used to hate his 3rd grade teacher, Mrs Parker.

However I do agree with Ben in the sense that when a new model does come out of the gate with "issues", companies are usually tight lipped about it. But from my experience, 1 failure out of 25 to 30 saws, due to a problem that Husky DID admit to in early units, doesn't indicate a design flaw.

Thats my point Spike, Husky admitted the issue and said its been corrected. I can't see them admitting it to it and then lying about it being corrected, that just doesn't make any sense to me. If they are lying about it being corrected why even admit there is a issue. I simply don't beleive they are lying when they say its been corrected after admitting there was a issue.

Out of the gate naked to the public yes I can see Ben's point there may be issues down the road. To that I say welcome to a thing called LIFE. That 441 I bought may indeed have issues down the road, any new model might but those that follow have to wait and see, while they are waiting I'm having a ball with it,wink.

Btw

I always thought Mrs. Parker had a great set of legs when I was in the 4th grade,LOLOLOL, hate her, no wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

THALL10326 said:
I always thought Mrs. Parker had a great set of legs when I was in the 4th grade,LOLOLOL, hate her, no wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!
If I could just stop laughing so I can type............

I actually did have a Mrs. Parker for math in the 3rd grade. But she was a sweetheart and by no means did I hate her. Wouldn't have noticed her legs, since she was already in her 60's in THE 60's. She would be about 110 now if she was still alive.

Now Mrs. Evans, in the 5th grade, she was hot. Not that us 11 year olds new what hot was then, but she had it. Lot's of it.

THIS THREAD IS NOW OFFICIALLY "OFF TOPIC".

Urbicide said:
I checked the service manual and found it did not say zilch. I then looked up the owner's manual and I quote the following from page 30:

High speed jet H
At the factory the engine is adjusted at sea level. When working at a high altitude or in different weather conditions, temperatures and atmospheric humidity, it may be necessary to make minor adjustments to the high speed jet.

Caution! If the high speed jet is screwed in too far, it might damage the piston/cylinder.

When test run at the factory, the high speed jet is set so that the engine satisfies the applicable legal requirements at the same time as achieving maximum performance. The carburettors's high speed jet is then locked using a limiter cap in the fully screwed out position. The limiter cap limits the potential to adjust the high speed jet to at most a half a turn.

Caution!There is an integrated speed governor in the ignition system that limits the maximum speed to 13600 rpm. The maximum speed will not exceed 13600 rpm when the high speed jet is adjusted (screwed in). When the speed governor is activated, you will get the same sound experience as when the chain saw 4-cycles.

To adjust the carburettor correctly you should contact a mechanic with access to a rev counter.

Caution!As the spark is cut off, the rev counter does not show speeds higher than 13600 rpm.

Correctly adjusted carburettor

When the carburettor is correctly adjusted the machine accelerates without hesitation and 4-cycles a little at full throttle. It is also important that the chain does not rotate at idle. If the L-jet is set too lean it may cause starting difficulties and poor acceleration. If the H-jet is set too lean the machine will have less power, poor acceleration and could suffer damage to the engine.

Here is a link to the 570 / 575XP owner's manual.

http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HOEN/HOEN2006/HOEN2006_1150204-26.pdf

Man I wish it would stop raining.

Yes, almost useless for the guy in the field...

The solution to checking the engine speed on a rev limited machine (almost any make or model) is to use an optical tach that looks at the flywheel or clutch drum (not in the field though....). I have a lot of toys, but not not of those... The electronic tach is almost useless anywhere near the max rpm (even within a 1000 rpm...), and it's real easy to get too lean. The "little 4 stroking" is exactly what the rev limiting sounds like, and with a muffler mod... who knows where you are...

I wonder why Husky found it necessary to limit the engine speed other then though carb adjustment?

spike60 said:
If I could just stop laughing so I can type............

I actually did have a Mrs. Parker for math in the 3rd grade. But she was a sweetheart and by no means did I hate her. Wouldn't have noticed her legs, since she was already in her 60's in THE 60's. She would be about 110 now if she was still alive.

Now Mrs. Evans, in the 5th grade, she was hot. Not that us 11 year olds new what hot was then, but she had it. Lot's of it.

THIS THREAD IS NOW OFFICIALLY "OFF TOPIC".

Well shoot Spike let me tell ya a good one and true one. When I was in the
6th grade mini-skirts were in style bigtime. We got a new teacher striaght out of college, her first year of teaching. She has that Mary Tlyer Moore hair doo, about 5'4" and maybe 105lbs. She was needless to say awesome and she wore the shortest mini-skirts I can ever recall seeing. As you can see from how I talk today I spent way more time wondering about those legs than I did worrieing about my fine typin a-bill-la ties and ing-lish,LOL

Ah... teachers... 10th grade... drafting.. I can't remember her name... not that it matters much... She quit teaching to joint the forestry service before I got a chance to take her class. :angry:

Ian

jon72 said:
... Does Jonsered still make their version of the 372? ...
computeruser said:
Jonsered still does, the 2171. ...

No, they don't! :greenchainsaw: :hmm3grin2orange:

Husky makes them for Jonsered, as with all current Jonsered saws, except the cheap Poulan made ones.

It all started with the Jonsered 630 and 670 in about 1982, after E-Lux had taken over Husky, Partner and Jonsereds a few years earlier (1978/79).

By now, Husky (no longer E-Lux) controls all these brands, and several more.

Last edited:
THALL10326 said:
Well shoot Spike let me tell ya a good one and true one. When I was in the
6th grade mini-skirts were in style bigtime. We got a new teacher striaght out of college, her first year of teaching. She has that Mary Tlyer Moore hair doo, about 5'4" and maybe 105lbs. She was needless to say awesome and she wore the shortest mini-skirts I can ever recall seeing. As you can see from how I talk today I spent way more time wondering about those legs than I did worrieing about my fine typin a-bill-la ties and ing-lish,LOL

sounds as if Thall was in love "bigtime"....:heart: :angel:

Lakeside53 said:
Yes, almost useless for the guy in the field...

The solution to checking the engine speed on a rev limited machine (almost any make or model) is to use an optical tach that looks at the flywheel or clutch drum (not in the field though....). I have a lot of toys, but not not of those... The electronic tach is almost useless anywhere near the max rpm (even within a 1000 rpm...), and it's real easy to get too lean. The "little 4 stroking" is exactly what the rev limiting sounds like, and with a muffler mod... who knows where you are...

I wonder why Husky found it necessary to limit the engine speed other then though carb adjustment?

I'm going to take a guess at this.
Maybe it was a solution to the EPA standards. or maybe it's there way to get the saws back to the dealers for tuneup cost.
Anyways can't you just change the coil?

I doubt if was for EPA standards.. as soon as the coil starts to limit the unburnt hydrocarbons rocket!

..and I don't buy the conspiracy theory of only having the dealers make the adjustments - most can't anyhow as all they have is conventional tachs.

On the issue of tachs, there is a new series of ignitions coming out from Stihl (not sure which devices or even if they are on saws) - the flywheels have an additional sets of magnets. These mess up ordinary tachs and you'll need a newer version - the EDT-7 or -8... Great... but... maybe we'll be able to read the emf from the secondary magnets instead of the ignition pulse - and rev limiting won't matter (for tach tuning). Maybe...

As for coil changing - I'll defer to the husky experts on that one. On the Stihl line, that is fraught with problems...

Back