"Won't buy a Husky!"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after following this thread for 2 years, I've decided I'm keeping all of my 40 year old Homelites, and when I need a new saw, I'll by another 40 year old homelite, Joe.

Yeah; well someone having problems with two great husky's, one I could see a possible lemon but two makes me think more toward user area. I had a lemon stihl and still know they are good saws. To me it is a feature problem I like my caps to screw and my filters clean but it don't mean everyone has the same values. It also don't mean they are bad saws but I will still :poke: the stihlheads lol.

Yeah; well someone having problems with two great husky's, one I could see a possible lemon but two makes me think more toward user area. I had a lemon stihl and still know they are good saws. To me it is a feature problem I like my caps to screw and my filters clean but it don't mean everyone has the same values. It also don't mean they are bad saws but I will still :poke: the stihlheads lol.

well my problem was just in one saw which I replaced the cylinder with but never had anything else checked out, it must have some problem somewhere, I did use a tank of gas with ethonal in it the first time it had trouble, I heard from someone that destroys the carb and it needs to be rebuilt, how true would that be?

well my problem was just in one saw which I replaced the cylinder with but never had anything else checked out, it must have some problem somewhere, I did use a tank of gas with ethonal in it the first time it had trouble, I heard from someone that destroys the carb and it needs to be rebuilt, how true would that be?

My saws are all running it but that don't mean I like it!

I have had trouble with all my saws. My husky smoked a cylinder from bad gas or dull chain, (other operator :() after only 11 years. My stihl wore out after only 20 or 25 years hard use. My poulan couldn't stand up to a 24 inch oak. My shindaiwas are temperamental. My poulan pole saw doesn't like dirt daubbers. The rest, well they go bad just sitting around. Lack of use.

So all in all, they are all, well, mechanical.

I had the same kind of warranty issues with my 357xp/ Nothing blew up mind you- just the standard issue bad HDA walbro problem. Even with the tech sheet in my hand to show him its a known defect the dealer still told me to fly a kite. That was my last deal at that shop.

At another dealer I was pricing 660 vs 390. This shop has been Stihl and Husky for decades. The counter man told me to forget about Husky, they were probably going to drop them from the store due to parts availabilty, saw availabilty and what he just termed as "being a pain to deal with" or something like that. He said they can't get parts when they need them, and when they order stuff sometimes it shows up, sometimes it doesn't

It sounds like that dealer haven't paid his bills from the Husky distributer, and have a bad reputation there. Who is actually dropping who is an open question......:neutral:

So, while loading the truck after work today, I was talking to my father's best friend about saws. He's been a wood cutter for 28 years dealing almost exclusively with hardwoods. He runs a ported Stihl MS361..
Anyway, I'm looking for a new limbing saw (been askin about MS260Pro) and mentioned the Husqvarna 346, and he said "Won't buy a Husky no matter what" He then went on to tell me about his "Piece of S#%t 371"... Apparently he used to run only Husqvarnas but after some brutal repair costs and difficult dealer-customer relations he switched to Stihl. He did rave about Husqvarna's power and speed, but said it wasn't enough to make up for the other misgivings....
He told me about the random hard starts: he rigged up to do some high limbing, fired up his saw, warmed it up and shut it off, climbed the tree and couldn't start the saw.. he spent 20 minutes pulling, pulling and pulling untill he finally threw the saw 60 feet to the ground! The repair shop found nothing wrong with it, other than a severely bent bar from the fall.
He then had a Husky 272 that gave him nothing but problems... He did say that when it was running it was a bear, but that wasn't often. First the starter recoil broke, followed by the AV, then the oiler. After a few years it needed rings, then a piston followed immediatly by a cylinder. Carb was junk, fuel lines sucked to replace and they "Always" had issues. He finally junked it at the repair shops recomendation.... He added up the repair receipts and in the first year the saw cost him just over $1600. That saw was almost enough to turn him away from Husqvarna untill....
His most recent husky (can't remember the model). It was less than 2 months old, and ran like a banshee. Anyway, he was bucking when the chain got pinched. My father made a relief cut, he freed the saw, and it seemed fine. He tried to make another cut but the saw had no power... he gave it a few revs and a horrible sound came from the crank-case (like gravel)... he reved it up again and a huge fireball blew the muffler off and caught his hand an arm on fire! He managed to extiguish himself and the saw without injury. He brought what was left of the saw to the dealer-(remember it was less than 60 days old)- and the dealer couldn't do anything for him... so he contacted Husqvarna directly and still no refund, no replacement, nothing!
He has run Stihls ever since, and is using an old 361 that he loves. Starts within 3 pulls, plenty of power, and easy to keep up with..
I run a '98 Jonsered 2065 that has been nothing but great to me, but his story (backed up by my father) is enough for me to be a Stihl man from hear on out.

Well, have heard stories about most brands.. can't really fault a saw on one circumstance.

I had a 200T that I was tempted to throw (hard to start up tree and little power).. but.. it was getting a little old.. once carb was rebuilt it was a good as new..

Can't throw them all away one one story.. and dealer sounds a little flaky.

Well, have heard stories about most brands.. can't really fault a saw on one circumstance.

I had a 200T that I was tempted to throw (hard to start up tree and little power).. but.. it was getting a little old.. once carb was rebuilt it was a good as new..

Can't throw them all away one one story.. and dealer sounds a little flaky.

did some further research and found the problem e10 destroys any saw not just my husky. Here is the link very informative: http://www.forestnet.com/TWissues/August08/chainsaw.pdf

You are correct, I wouldnt. I do however know that I have had my 266xp for about 13 years and my 272xp for around 8 and they run just as good now as they did back then. I clean them after each use and run or drain the gas out of them before I put them back in the garage each time as well as put stabil in the gas I am going to be using in them. XP saws should outlast the owners if you take good care of them. Same thing with Stihl though.

You are correct, I wouldnt. I do however know that I have had my 266xp for about 13 years and my 272xp for around 8 and they run just as good now as they did back then. I clean them after each use and run or drain the gas out of them before I put them back in the garage each time as well as put stabil in the gas I am going to be using in them. XP saws should outlast the owners if you take good care of them. Same thing with Stihl though.

if you drain the gas the carbs will dry out just leave the gas sit in them and they will start better

Back