No spark on a Pioneer 650

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kennynva

Reaction score
Hello all...new to this site...and so far after 30 mins...I LOVE IT...anyway..I have an old Pioneer model 650 that I am restoring...and it has good compression but no spark what so ever....I am trying to remove the flywheel now...and having a hard time doing that since I dont have a three bolt puller...(and suggestions on this would be awesome also.) ....I guessing that this saw has not run for at least 20 years...gas tank was full of flakes of crystals ...I use to work on Yamaha motorcycles with the same problem and we had to soak the carbs and gas tank with a cleaner to remove all that stuff that plugged the carbs...then they were fine...so ANYWAY ...I think the points are probley stuck together and not opening that is required to make the spark..does anyone else think this also....?????

Any info would be taken...thanks..really thanks... Kenny

hows the mag look rusted?
did you try disconnecting the kill switch to make sure its not stuck on?
ya best to get the puller.

Hello all...new to this site...and so far after 30 mins...I LOVE IT...anyway..I have an old Pioneer model 650 that I am restoring...and it has good compression but no spark what so ever....I am trying to remove the flywheel now...and having a hard time doing that since I dont have a three bolt puller...(and suggestions on this would be awesome also.) ....I guessing that this saw has not run for at least 20 years...gas tank was full of flakes of crystals ...I use to work on Yamaha motorcycles with the same problem and we had to soak the carbs and gas tank with a cleaner to remove all that stuff that plugged the carbs...then they were fine...so ANYWAY ...I think the points are probley stuck together and not opening that is required to make the spark..does anyone else think this also....?????

Any info would be taken...thanks..really thanks... Kenny

More than likely the points are just dirty on the contacts, actually the contact surfaces just get a black scale on them from sitting around. Take them out and file the contacts nice and shiny, reset the gap and most times you will have spark.

I've used the same harmonic balance puller for over 10 years. Pulled a hell of a lot of flywheels and have yet to break one. You should be able to pick one up at any auto parts store. I can't remember what size bolts you'll need--either 1/4" NC or 12-24 if you're unlucky.

Chris B.

More than likely the points are just dirty on the contacts, actually the contact surfaces just get a black scale on them from sitting around. Take them out and file the contacts nice and shiny, reset the gap and most times you will have spark.

Yep Just fixed and old 015 that had been sitting with the the same problem... they were scaled over,,, buffed them up with emory cloth, checked and reset the gap, and she fired on the first pull.:rock:

Flywheel nut is LH thread. Make sure you use a puller. If it is not coming off when the puller is snuggled up, give the center bolt a careful hit with a hammer. Should help it pop free.
Once gap is set to 0.020" clean and dry the points with a bit of brake cleaner.
Good luck.
Get a carb kit and new fuel line it will run once all is well!
Walter

Latest posts

Back