No such thing as too much firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So long as I keep trying to make cabinet doors I will have wood to burn for years to come.

Its normal for us to light up mid October and keep the fire going till late April early May, the biggest problem this year it got cold and stayed cold, with little to no reprise. So the temperature fluctuations that normally happen and result in burning less wood didnt't happen, and sure does mess ya up two weeks ago when it did for a day.

I have lots of wood so not a worry in the world, and lap times on the sled drawing in from the pile are getting insane, gonna have to add a water obstacle and land mines for next year.

Polar Vortex, Snowmeggedon all that crap, its called winter, happens every year.

Most of us as kids played outside every day when it was -22F (ok those of in the Northern US, all of Canada, Scandanavia, etc...)it aint cold its just winter.

It would actually be a major disaster if it hit that cold down here. I would guesstimate 80% or better structures would suffer pretty severe pipe freezing. Heck, a lot of main buried pipes might freeze at that level cold. There would be a lot of fires from overloaded electrical systems trying to run backup heaters, or trying to make combo heat pumps that primarily work as Ac units try to work as a heater. The frozen pipes would make firefighting pretty hard. Hundreds of thousands of car batteries would need to be replaced, with not that many available, as people would toast them trying to start vehicles.

Back during storm of the century in 93, people were starting fires in waste baskets, sinks, bath tubs etc. Running charcoal cookers in the living room, bad stuff like that. And it wasn't near that cold.

I bet there would be a substantial, not huge, but substantial death rate associated with it for the various normal reasons, including a lot of hypothermia.

It got dicey this winter just with those couple weeks of single digits. People who needed propane couldn't get it, it became unobtanium.

it just slap ain't setup around here for those sorts of temps. Just like when it snows and ices, just no infrastructure to deal with it all over.

We had locals with freezing pipes this winter...they have an 18 inch frost depth...it froze to 20 inches. Plus the older homes were never insulated good.

Couple that with power loss from the ice storm, and it got ugly. What amazes me are the people that run out and buy a generator when the power goes out, then turn around and sell it as soon as the power comes back on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Here they say to get below the frost line during a normal winter you have to do down 38". With the cold that we had this winter, and the wind that blew the snow completely off the ground in many places for a while, I'll bet the frost line is deeper than that. Heck, the fields are bare, but there's still 9+" of snow in the woods!

I had to take down 85 trees for a client this winter and I get to keep some of them. So, with the set-up that I have, I am limited to bringing home 3,000# of wood a day on the trailer. (Red Oad, White Oad, & Red Maple) I figure I have about 15 trailer loads to go. That log weight chart from Sherrill sure comes in handy!! I plan to have at least 3 years of wood split and stacked by October 1.

This winter is certainly a good example that you can never have enough firewood. It gave me a good feeling to be able to help out friends and neighbors who had ran out of wood. They were extremely appreciative, and more than willing to haul it themselves. In some cases it meant the difference between keeping their families warm or facing some very serious consequences. It has built some lasting friendships for sure. If I ever need a hand with something, I know they are more than willing to help. Can't put a price tag on that.

This winter is certainly a good example that you can never have enough firewood. It gave me a good feeling to be able to help out friends and neighbors who had ran out of wood. They were extremely appreciative, and more than willing to haul it themselves. In some cases it meant the difference between keeping their families warm or facing some very serious consequences. It has built some lasting friendships for sure. If I ever need a hand with something, I know they are more than willing to help. Can't put a price tag on that.

Yeah, I did a litle of that this winter. I think I feel guilty having so much wood and so many saws so sharing comes easy. LOL

Had one friend that got slammed with bronchitis fpr a few weeks so I cut a couple loads for him. Helped another neighbor who is always in scrounge mode, but that got short circuited when the deep snow arrived. Which raises a point that we haven't really discussed yet. I'm in a heavily wooded area here, and some people operate in scrounge mode all the time. Their priorities are let's say, a little different? But they feel they can usually just go out and cut a weeks worth of wood at a time as needed. Well when all the snow hit, that option was gone. Same as for people who had stocked up a little bit, but ran out. We're just now getting to the point where things have melted enough where you can go out and scrounge up some wood.

I've also helped customers in the shop by turning around their one and only saw the same day they brought it in. They're out, or running out, of wood and I don't like the idea of folks being cold, regardless of whether or not it's mostly their own fault. Often they need the saw that day, as it's the only open window for them to do a little cutting. We're always happy to turn stuff around quick for a commercial guy, so why not a homeowner who's in a jam.

I think those "priorities" I mentioned above might get re-arranged by a lot of people after this year. :)

Yeah, I did a litle of that this winter. I think I feel guilty having so much wood and so many saws so sharing comes easy. LOL

Had one friend that got slammed with bronchitis fpr a few weeks so I cut a couple loads for him. Helped another neighbor who is always in scrounge mode, but that got short circuited when the deep snow arrived. Which raises a point that we haven't really discussed yet. I'm in a heavily wooded area here, and some people operate in scrounge mode all the time. Their priorities are let's say, a little different? But they feel they can usually just go out and cut a weeks worth of wood at a time as needed. Well when all the snow hit, that option was gone. Same as for people who had stocked up a little bit, but ran out. We're just now getting to the point where things have melted enough where you can go out and scrounge up some wood.

I've also helped customers in the shop by turning around their one and only saw the same day they brought it in. They're out, or running out, of wood and I don't like the idea of folks being cold, regardless of whether or not it's mostly their own fault. Often they need the saw that day, as it's the only open window for them to do a little cutting. We're always happy to turn stuff around quick for a commercial guy, so why not a homeowner who's in a jam.

I think those "priorities" I mentioned above might get re-arranged by a lot of people after this year. :)

Well, I just putz at it now and then, quite irregular. but when I do, I haul the cellulose.

When I lived up north, just about every single day, and wasn't picky what I grabbed at all. If it was wood and I could haul it or drag it, back to the yard. That's the only thing that ever worked for me, no firewood gathering season, just year round. Hauled out quite a lot with cheap sleds and snowshoes when I had to.

Of course I was in my 20s and in pretty fair shape then....

I would bet big money a whole lotta folks who ran out this year are size and species snobs and if they had any extra second tier or lesser wood, they burned it in ambience firepits during the summer. Nuts. Priorities first, you need to be several years ahead before any firepit noise.

Right now, still burning, burning punky poplar and pine mostly. We burn over 4 cord a year, so..I ain't picky. I have a real decent stash of A1 absolute primo wood I have put away, oak and hickory, and barely touch it, it's just stacked up well, then I burn everything else. I will burn the primo uglies for hardwood. The pretty small rounds and splits, just accumulating them for a variety of reasons, they last well, cutting doesn't get any easier once you hit a geezer plateau, so you need to get ahead (plus fuel availability, I remember the embargo..) and push comes to shove, I can sell it if I really have to, and still not worry about my heating needs.

This country wastes wood in big burn piles and at the landfill. There's really no excuse for that, other than...I don't know the reason. I have no idea why people waste energy like that. I have no idea why people think burning green works either.

I know the goobermint ain't helping much either, just making it harder and harder to use wood for energy except for the fatcats and those big electric generator outfits. They are gonna continue to ban this or that and the insuirance companies will make it harder and harder to use wood. The wall street criminals do not like energy they can't monopolize. They call the shots and tell the goobs what to do.

Now I do know why conservation isn't pushed more, the fatcats makes loads more money convincing people their insulation levels are good, when they aren't, and sending them that big utility bill every month.

I'll predict right now, as soon as hot weather hits, 95% (maybe, around there) of the folks who had astronomical heating utility bills this year will forget about it and do nothing much different.

The time to start gathering wood, by whatever means it takes, is now, while it's fresh in their minds for sure. All it takes is just starting the process. If this winter didn't teach people to store up more wood then they think will be needed, then I don't know what will.

Latest posts

Back