noob looking for a dependable 14"er?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go for the Ebay $35.00 special. Poulan/craftsman. You can fix most problems on it if needed for about $35.00.

Doesn't sound like you need to spend all your dough on something you won't need much.

Time for me to take cover.... :Eye: Wish me luck!

The MS170 is going for $159+tax witha 14" Rollomatic Mini at dealers. Nice little saw, but I haven't run one so I don't know how it would do in the work environment. First thing I'd do is ditch that .043 chain and bar and get an arbor PRO or Pro 91 bar and loop of 30LP or 91VS from Baileys. Don't need that safety crap!
J.D.

I would not sell the .043 bar and chain short. It really does cut faster than you would expect of a small 30cc unit. Even with the safety chain it works faster in limbing green wood (all under 5 inches) than my favourite Echo 3450 with 16'" B&C. But I don't have more than 12 hours on this 017 so I will not be able to make a recommendation on the saw.

BTW, my local Stihl dealer had a super special the weekend I purchased this 017, $159.00 plus tax with orange case, extra chain, bar oil and chain sharpener kit. The extras alone are worth $40.

DanManofStihl said:
Ms 170 is the way to go it is one of the best reliable small and inexpensive saws. I picked one up from by dealer for $167.00 after taxes with a 14 inch bar. The husky 141 was an ok saw but I like my ms 170 better.
If to look the exploded view of 170 then it is clearly consumer product. Piston rod from sheet metal, etc.

DanManofStihl said:
Ms 170 is the way to go it is one of the best reliable small and inexpensive saws. I picked one up from by dealer for $167.00 after taxes with a 14 inch bar. The husky 141 was an ok saw but I like my ms 170 better.
The problem with that is that the 170 will be at a high risk of beeing too small and gutless.
The 141/142 is a lot more powerful, the 230 is the Stihl to compare it to conserning power and weight. In that case the Stihl is no doubt the better saw.

SawTroll said:
The problem with that is that the 170 will be at a high risk of beeing too small and gutless.
The 141/142 is a lot more powerful, the 230 is the Stihl to compare it to conserning power and weight. In that case the Stihl is no doubt the better saw.
If to look Stihls USA www then MS230 is probably not available there. For me seems that MS230 is rather gutless one for firewood too. Here MS230C is available, and with 13" bar. :)

Husqvarna 137 Response

I bought Husqvarna 137 and did a little research, a As result of this thread I sent Husqvarna a message and asked 'Is the Husqvarna 137 saw built by Husqvarna or Poulan' and thought I would post their response:
Mr. Calhoun
Thank you for contacting Husqvarna with your concerns. I would first like to ensure you that both the 137 and 141 are indeed Husqvarna products. It is true that Husqvarna has brought out Poulan. That’s where the confusion comes in. All of the Husqvarna chainsaws are made with Swedish parts, 3 piece crank shaft forged from metal. With a smart start, low vibe, air injection system, and a dual action chain brake making for a longer life span. To my understanding Poulan chainsaws are made with a 5 piece crank case consisting of power iron with all American parts. I do hope that inforamtion that I have given you has answered you question. For more information please contact us at 1-800-448-7543.

Thank you
Latisha

I guess if you were a Poulan you are now a Husqvarna! The box the saw came in says assembled in the U.S.A. on the side, so there must be some truth to both sides of this issue the bottom line is there must be problems with this saws for some reason.
Jim

Well, they sure have a way of their own around such questions. :rolleyes:
"Made with Swedish parts" could mean a lot of different things.

It could be anything from all Swedish parts (which I don't believe), to just a few, at least the crank.........

A Husky official I spoke to here in Norway some time ago said that they were Husky designs, but the design was adapted to Poulans way of doing things. He admitted that they were made by Poulan - said nothing about part production in Sweden.

The husky 350 is a nice little unit. One of my toolmakers bought one and let me play with it, it has enough power for what i think you are after, though its around $300. The 55 ranchers can still be had on E- Bay from time to time, slightly bigger displacement and I think a little more versitel. I have one with a 18 and 20 inch bar and I have no complaints. These can be had at the 225-275 range still in the box.

I've used both the stihl 017(older version of the 170) and 250. The Stihl 017 is a great LITTLE saw. I bought my 250, because Dad took the 017 back and I needed a bigger saw after katrina. I like both saws for what they are designed for. The 017 is usefull if you have small trees that you need to get rid of or have to clean up after storm that knocks down a bunch of limbs. If you were doing major clean-up, I would look at the larger of the consumer line from stihl. But, I would not hesitate to buy MS170. I have not used ECHO, Huskey or the others mentioned here, but I understand they are all good saws. My advice, go to a couple of dealers and see what is available. Pick up the saws mentioned, see how it feels, etc.

Poulan/Husk 137

jcal,

I know a former plant manager of that operation and that is what he told me to.

Luke

I just returned my Husky 142 for a Stihl 210. I haven't had the chance to use it yet but i feel much better about the whole transaction after doing a day of research on this site. The 170 would have worked for my yard work, but not for any firewood duty.

charlesgage said:
I just returned my Husky 142 for a Stihl 210. I haven't had the chance to use it yet but i feel much better about the whole transaction after doing a day of research on this site. The 170 would have worked for my yard work, but not for any firewood duty.

Sounds like you made a very good choice. I keep wanting to buy one of those, mainly for light stuff and for friends to use when we're cutting lots of stuff. A saw like that should be more than capable of cutting real wood, and is still light enough for yard work, too. Enjoy!!

My Echo 440 evl was bought in the late 70's or early 80's, with a 16" 325, it has been run over with the truck, and abused annualy. It finaly gave out with ignition problems, but the motor is as strong as ever. It has done everything we've put it to. My vote is the Echo 440!

Ive got a husky 36 that I just put a 14" bar on. SO far there isnt anything Ive put the saw to that it didnt want to chew right through, without bogging the motor down.

I think you made a good choice I have never run the ms 210 but I have heard good things it not a professional saw but it will be perfect for light use.

Latest posts

Back