noob looking for a dependable 14"er?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zilla31

Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked 1000x (and i've found a ton of good info around here but i'm not quite there yet): Can anyone recommend a solid, dependable 14" bar length chainsaw? Don't want to spend a fortune (i'm no professional just got a big yard).

THANKS!

I haven't had any experience with any of the newer 1 series in Sthil. Anything like 21, 23 ,25 would be a good saw, normally they come with bigger bars but you can put a smaller bar on them if you like, 14' is a little small, I'd go with the bigger bar.

Larry

Without knowing WHAT you need to cut on your property or how large your property is, I am going out on a limb on this one (bad pun, eh?). I am also going to assume that you're not looking for some Craftsman/Homelite/Poulan/McCulloch garbage. Do yourself a BIG favor and DON'T get one of those crap saws - they seldom work very long or very well. With that out of the way:

1. Stihl's 180, 210 and 250 are regarded as good homeowner saws for smaller tasks. Lots of guys on here like the 180 for being a super light saw perfect for small chores. The 250 is even capable of being used with an 18" (20?) bar. The 210 sits neatly in the middle.

2. Husqvarna's 340, 345, and 350 would also be good choices. Avoid the 137 and 141, as they are simply rebadged Poulans, complete with the Poulan problems. These saws are good, solid saws with lots of dealer support.

3. Dolmar's 460 and 510 would also be well-suited to smaller tasks. Finding a local dealer may be a problem in some areas, though I am sure TonyM (arboristsite sponsor) would be happy to help you out mail-order.

4. Echo's 346 and 440 would work; the 346 is very light, which might be an asset to you. Echos are renowned for being bulletproof and lots of power equipment dealers seem to carry Echo products, even when their main thrust is Stihl or Husqvarna.

If I were looking for a saw capable of handling homeowner tasks, I think any of the above suggestions would be good choices. I keep wanting to buy a Stihl 210 for small tasks, but I just can't seem to convince myself I need it (probably because I don't...)

And for what it's worth, my local pawn shop has a brand new Jonsered 2050 (Jonsereds are now rebadged Husqvarnas, this one a rebadged model 350) for $199, never used completely brand new. If you or anyone else on the board happens to want it, I can see if it is still there, buy it, and ship it to you.

I have a Stihl 025, its beginning to show its age, but it's been abused for 8 years. What do you wnat to do with this saw I guess is teh first question. New or used? If you want Stihl quality and a small package the MS180 and MS170 are perhaps worth a look. I saw a 170 on ebay and I was sorely tempted, but I didn't spring for it cause I just don't REALLY need it.

great data computeruser - thanks a mil. what are the price points on some of these? are there any in this list you'd recommend over the others? i really only need something for light work - cutting branches, bushes, etc. some light FW cutting. i've got a couple acres and need something reliable (no junk).

zilla31

zilla31 said:
Don't want to spend a fortune (i'm no professional just got a big yard).

I'm pretty new here too and don't visit every day but I have not seen this question asked this way before. Usually which two saws...one for the big stuff and another for trimming, or kindling, or the wife or teenage boy. So I think its a fair question because most of us non-pros could do at least 80% of everything we need a saw for with a GOOD 14 inch saw.

I have two saws sporting 14 in. bars but both were bought new this year (one Husky and one Stihl). They both seem OK but I don't have enough time on either to offer a recommendation.

I know this does not answer your question, but I will be looking with interest to the comments of others on this thread :Eye: .

Ms 170 is the way to go it is one of the best reliable small and inexpensive saws. I picked one up from by dealer for $167.00 after taxes with a 14 inch bar. The husky 141 was an ok saw but I like my ms 170 better.

Husky and echo you can order from Baileys, which is one of the sponsors here, and the folks I buy my chains bars and any other saw part I really need bad from. Stihl doesnt allow their products to be sold online at all.

Stihl requires that their saws ONLY be sold through brick-and-mortar retailers, so online shopping is out. I heard that Stihl requires that their saws be gassed and fired up prior to handing them over to the customer. Not a bad practice if you have a dealer nearby, pain in the behind if you don't (or if your local dealer is a POS who you don't want to do business with).

As for prices, Husqvarna prices can be looked up at commercialcutters.com or baileys-online.com, among others. From my Stihl 2005 MSRP sheet, the 170 goes for $159; the 180 for $199; the 210 for $229; and the 250 for $279. The 210 and 250 come standard with 16" bars, the 170 and 180 with 14"; other sizes can be substituted at purchase or later. The Echos that I suggested are both going to be under $300.

Based upon your later post, if your needs only included trimming limbs, cutting up fallen branches, and tending shrubs, I would say that the smaller saws (Stihl 170, 180) would be adequate. But if you are going to be dealing with firewood, where sizes might merit a bit more power, I would aim for something along the lines of the Stihl 250 or Husqvarna 350. If you figure your use will be somewhere in the middle, the Stihl 210 or Husqvarna 340 would be the ticket. And if you anticipate doing a fair amount of your work from a ladder or in a tree, then you might want to look at some of the top handle Echos (301, 341, 330, 360); if your work will be biased to on-the-ground cutting, which is most likely the case, I would suggest you stick with something with a conventional handle layout, as that balances much better when used for a protracted period of time.

Whatever you decide to do, just remember that the saw you elect to buy now will be with you for years, so it is generally better to have a bit more saw than you need than the other way around, both in terms of power and capabliity, and also quite frankly in terms of how much you spend. That thirty (or fifty or seventy) extra dollars today is a lot less than a whole new saw later when you need to upgrade.

As for what particular saw to buy, that's a tough one for someone else to decide. I do know, though, that a light saw (for a given level of power output) is nicer than a heavier one, so keep that in mind. I also know that not everybody needs (or wants) a huge saw that cuts insanely fast. By way of example, I was cutting up some small branches around the house the other day. They were two to four inches in diameter. My Echo top handle saw was at a friend's house, so I ended up cutting them up with my 80cc 6+hp Dolmar. It took at least four times as long to cut them with the big saw than it would have with the little one, between bracing the branches so they didn't get tossed all over the place and not cutting the branches as they lay in a pile because, unlike the Echo, I had to move each piece after I cut it because the Dolmar will send the already cut pieces flying if the tip catches one; the Echo just nicks the piece and it stays right where it is. My point in this is to figure out what you need to cut, what your usual use for the saw will be, and buy a saw that fits that.

If you own a couple of acres in fairfax you can afford to pry open your wallet and drop 3 bills on a husky 350. If you've made yourself house poor then go to Home depot and buy whatever 14" piece of cr@p they have for $100.

Any cheap saw is gonna be just that, but may last you a life time if you don't varnish up the fuel lines and carb from non-use.

Dolmar 401

Dolmar 401. Little mag case saw built just like the big pro models. I guess it is a "pro saw".

computeruser said:
And for what it's worth, my local pawn shop has a brand new Jonsered 2050 (Jonsereds are now rebadged Husqvarnas, this one a rebadged model 350) for $199, never used completely brand new. If you or anyone else on the board happens to want it, I can see if it is still there, buy it, and ship it to you.
That is not entirely correct.
The 2150 equals the 350, but the 2050 is a much older and less successful design.

Husky 350 or Jred 2150 would be my choise in the scenario described. I find them much nicer to use than the Stihl 250 - more ergonomic and less vibration. Also a tad more power and weight......
However, I don't think 14" bar is available on them, but 15" would be a good choise.

Last edited:
I'd get that Jonsered 2050 that "Computer User" is talking about. I've been running one for 10-12 years and it is a great little saw. Brand new for $200??
I'd jump on it! And if you don't, I just might just look into it.

SawTroll said:
That is not entirely correct.
The 2150 equals the 350, but the 2050 is a much older and less successful design.

Husky 350 or Jred 2150 would be my choise in the scenario described. I find them much nicer the use than the Stihl 250 - more ergonomic and less vibration. Also a tad more power and weight......
However, I don't think 14" bar is available on them, but 15" would be a good choise.

My typo - it is a 2150. Typing late at night = mistakes.

If you are looking for light weight, the PS-401 Dolmar is hard to beat. 8.8 lb powerhead and pro construction as stated. It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles of the smaller Stihls, but it is a rock solid dependable saw, and it is the lightest 40cc class rear handle saw out there, as far as I know. Price will run in the ballpark of $250.

Back