Noob questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbauman

Reaction score
Picked up my first chain saw, a Ryobi ry10520 (20" bar, 46cc engine) and now I have newbie questions.

My uses will be a little limbing, making firewood for the fire pit, cutting 4-18" cedars off at ground level in CRP, and the annual clearing of the 100 year old maple/cottonwood that fell in the field. Maybe 10-15 hours a year of actual cutting time.

- If there is anything horribly wrong with the saw let me know so I can take it back. It isn't a Stihl/Echo but seems to be better made than a Homelite.

- Is Oregon chain H78 (which is a 20BPX) the same as their professional 20BPX078G?
Per Oregon Chain Tech support:
They are exactly the same chain. We have different part numbers for different markets, the retail market (H78) and the professional market (20BPX078).

- Is the BPX a decent chain for my needs? I expect to accidentally hit dirt cutting cedars at ground level. Is the LPX more suitable?

- For cutting down little cedars would a 14" bar be a wise idea and if so any idea what bar/chain would work?

- Is there much to be gained by doing the muffler mod to this saw?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back