Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaron, the ranch did quite well. It is more distant from the epicenter and sits on practically solid rock. Jaye and Liz lost a few glasses but that was about it. We're now living in Napa (moved about 3 weeks ago) and our house is pretty much on the valley floor, anything but solid rock. BTW, there's still a bunch of madrone we're saving for you plus a sizable oak to be bucked if you want to exercise one of your big saws before the GTG.

Thanks, Bob. Napa was very fortunate to have no deaths due to the earthquake. It hit at 3:20 in the morning when almost everyone was in bed. There certainly would have been fatalities if the shaking started 12 hours later when folks were up and about.

But enough about the earthquake. I'd prefer to look forward to removing a bunch of hazard trees at Bothe this fall.

Me too. I'd like to see your place. I should be there...my wife keeps all the stepladders locked up now. :rolleyes:

Aaron, the ranch did quite well. It is more distant from the epicenter and sits on practically solid rock. Jaye and Liz lost a few glasses but that was about it. We're now living in Napa (moved about 3 weeks ago) and our house is pretty much on the valley floor, anything but solid rock. BTW, there's still a bunch of madrone we're saving for you plus a sizable oak to be bucked if you want to exercise one of your big saws before the GTG.

I wasn't aware that you'd just moved to Napa from Sac (had assumed you were staying at the ranch house last weekend). Glad to hear that the ranch fared so well.

How big is that oak? My big saws are all waiting for various repairs. Probably won't get them sorted out until winter. I do need to break in my 288XP however. It has a 32" bar on it and should be 'big enough'. Would certainly like to take a trip out to the ranch to visit and do some cutting.

Howdy,
We tried to make this last year but, we were right in the middle of giving our new business a kick start in the pants. It looks like we're clear to join in this year. We'll bring a Lucas mill. If they need any lumber cut for projects, we would be glad to help out.
Regards
Gregg

Sounds great Gregg!

Me too. I'd like to see your place. I should be there...my wife keeps all the stepladders locked up now. :rolleyes:
Bob I'd really like to be at the ranch when you come down. Will be a great opportunity for me to visit, learn, help out, and haul gear for you.:D

If you two can coordinate the details between yourselves, I'd be pleased as punch to host a mini-GTG at the ranch at a time that works for you both. Aaron, you can give your 288XP a workout and we can give Bob a tour of the place. I'd sure like Bob's input on some of our "special" cases.

I wasn't aware that you'd just moved to Napa from Sac (had assumed you were staying at the ranch house last weekend). Glad to hear that the ranch fared so well.

How big is that oak? My big saws are all waiting for various repairs. Probably won't get them sorted out until winter. I do need to break in my 288XP however. It has a 32" bar on it and should be 'big enough'. Would certainly like to take a trip out to the ranch to visit and do some cutting.

Yeah, the move took us by surprise, too. We found the right house much sooner than expected.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to bury that bar, either in that oak or a big old bay laurel. Maybe that's enough to get you making some plans for a visit....

If you two can coordinate the details between yourselves, I'd be pleased as punch to host a mini-GTG at the ranch at a time that works for you both. Aaron, you can give your 288XP a workout and we can give Bob a tour of the place. I'd sure like Bob's input on some of our "special" cases.
Yeah, the move took us by surprise, too. We found the right house much sooner than expected.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to bury that bar, either in that oak or a big old bay laurel. Maybe that's enough to get you making some plans for a visit....

That's a great idea Charlie. I'm thinking I need to discuss this with Bob soon...

Thanks all for staying with us. The Park did OK. It shook pretty good up valley, but no major damage.

We were just far enough away that we could feel the separation between the S & P waves. Jolt and then sea-sick motion - distinct.

Napa was right on top so both waves arrived at the same time. Makes for much harder hit even though the seismometers show the same magnitude, the effects are very different ...

Talked to Jeanne a couple days ago. She wants to do more advance advertising (Press-O-Crat, etc.) So she wants a meeting ASAP to work out details. I told her that we would not have real details until October when State is due to perform their official Hazard Tree Survey.

We usually get between a dozen and twenty trees identified. But, because we have been doing so well the last few years with the GTG and Sunday crews, the number could be smaller...

Just finished welding up the receiver for the back of the Boom Truck. Can put in pintle and pull the chipper now. Still trying to find 2 ft of 2.25 flex pipe to fix the alignment on the left hand head pipe ...

The Bale Mill is having their annual fund raiser dinner tonight, so all the Park Staff and lead volunteers (Mill) are tied up and in a tizzy getting ready. Sometime next week we should be able to get a meeting scheduled with Sandy and Jeanne ... Rob and I will advise as soon as we know something ...

Tyler should be along here one of these days to chime in :)

Bob I'd really like to be at the ranch when you come down. Will be a great opportunity for me to visit, learn, help out, and haul gear for you.:D

Glad to have you there, especially the gear hauling part. Now that I've taken Slowp's Alder Seminar I'm ready for anything. :laugh:

We're fine. Busier than I want to be but that's nothing new. Are you coming to the GTG in November?
Glad to hear you both are well,,,, As for the GTG It will be tuff for me this year, with our Wedding in the second week in December!!! *What are the dates again????*
Howdy,
We tried to make this last year but, we were right in the middle of giving our new business a kick start in the pants. It looks like we're clear to join in this year. We'll bring a Lucas mill. If they need any lumber cut for projects, we would be glad to help out.
Regards
Gregg

But I wont rule it out!!! cause I may be able to do my Porterville Facility Inspection around the same time and just hang a weeks vacation on it with the appropriate weekend!!!!! I sure want to meet Gregg and see that Lucas mill in action,,, cause it is on my bucket list!!!!

Any more info on the GTG? Does anyone know if there is food planned again? The BBQ last year was great and I am willing to pitch in to help.

This year I'll get some saw time. My wife is going so she will watch the boys. I am looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back