Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eccentric and I will sit down with Management (one of whom recently had a heart attack, so bear with us ...) and work out the details.

Yes there is a "group camp" area that will accommodate up to 25 or so IIRC ... I think (I'll check) that it's like $60 night.

There is a Ramada and other pic-nic areas. The Ramada will accept 25 or so for cooking and washing. Don't know the fees on that.

Regular Park camping is available, w/o water or power. The sites have tables, fire rings with partial grates, and tent spaces. Some parking spurs are big enough for a mid-sized motor home, most accept a pick-up and camper fine or a car and trailer up to 25 ft.

The sawing area will be arranged and we'll post the details when we know them. I'm not sure we can have races this round. We are just trying to get this thing going in this round. Maybe we can do races next year, but we'll ask...

If we have enough interest, and we can get reimbursed though some sort of ticket sales, we might also be able to book the Tucker Farm Center next door. That venue would be off of State land, so it would be a free'er location to do things that the State Park system may not allow (they still own the underlying property and buildings at Bothe) ...

We'll get the rules and procedures worked out and post that ASAP. I'm going to ask Ranger Sandy Jones to join this discussion at some point as we are asking questions outside my expertise.

Aaron, will you please see if you can talk Rob Grassi into joining AS so he can be part of this dialog? He's the park maintenance person and a ex-farm boy, a practicing Mill Wright, an old machine enthusiast, and a Nor Eastern wood cutter - now out on the Left Coast. We'll need his help in co-ordinating some of this to get it to work right.

I'll do my best Bruce. I need to make it up there one day soon and talk with you and Bob. Do you think we can get Sandy to join AS so she can chime in here?

Been missing out I see, but I made it. Went through a few pages, but not all yet. I am sure I will be in, and Parmeter usually is included with me. Maybe Chris too, out new saw enthusiast.

Costumes?
246658d1343585462-randymac-being-unsafe0001-jpg

View attachment 246658

Actually, sounds like you'll need some crosscut saws. A real falling one and a bucking one. Anybody got some?

Our PNW GTGs are food based. No organized saw races. Sometimes the noisy saws do their one cut thing. But we eat a lot. Food is a good thing.

I do not know what the future holds, but I have white gas based kitchen appliances. Don' need no stinkin' electricity.

Did I mention food?

Costumes?

Actually, sounds like you'll need some crosscut saws. A real falling one and a bucking one. Anybody got some?

Our PNW GTGs are food based. No organized saw races. Sometimes the noisy saws do their one cut thing. But we eat a lot. Food is a good thing.

I do not know what the future holds, but I have white gas based kitchen appliances. Don' need no stinkin' electricity.

Did I mention food?

Ms P. thanks for sharing the RandyMac pic and the input. Much appreciated. Looking forward to meeting you. Food and fellowship is the important thing. Saws will be there, and we'll do some cutting. I think Bruce has a few misery whips. I'm not sure of the type or condition however.

Been missing out I see, but I made it. Went through a few pages, but not all yet. I am sure I will be in, and Parmeter usually is included with me. Maybe Chris too, our new saw enthusiast.

Norm I was hoping you'd chime in. Will be great to get John out there too. If there's any climbing to be done at the GTG, I'm sure he'll be up to the challenge. From what I saw yesterday, Chris will be a saw nut soon. We need to steer him towards a 70-80cc class Husky, and then towards some old Magnesium. Then he'll be hooked. John asked me if I'd ever like to part with the SP-81 as he was eyeballing it at Betty's place (misses it a bit I wager). I replied by asking him if he'd part with his 750. John just smiled.:D

Last edited:
Good post and pic Slow P! Aaron I heard that it made me laughed, loved your counter reply LOL! Im sure John will be ok without the 81. I will find him a 046 he has been wanting for awhile. Yep Chris needs a saw in that class, makes you almost forget about 20 inch saw's well me anyway. So is it rock solid then for the Napa spot?

Good post and pic Slow P! Aaron I heard that it made me laughed, loved your counter reply LOL! Im sure John will be ok without the 81. I will find him a 046 he has been wanting for awhile. Yep Chris needs a saw in that class, makes you almost forget about 20 inch saw's well me anyway. So is it rock solid then for the Napa spot?

We have the OK from the park people. Still ironing out the details however.

Ironed out a few details yesterday and still working on getting the Park Ranger and the Maintenance Supervisor to join our ranks so they can speak directly to the members here.

In the meantime, I got clarification that yes there will be an area to fire off at least the antique gear :)

Yes, they think we can find a suitable log to make ready for cookie cutting.

Yes, they are in big support of food and companionship. We'll likely have access to the "camp fire center" which has a screen and a modest PA system.

Sawyers rigs will be spotted into Day Use for overnight so they can be near their gear and near the group areas. We'll probably have some non-arborist types already in the campground, so we'll need some separation so they can still have access to park activities, but that is being worked out.

We may have a few of our own modest collection of antique saws and gear ready for display and helpful comment. We should be able to create a swap-meet area :)

Will we have water and 110V at the sites and cooking area?
Are we parking in the same area that we will camp and cook?
Is this Friday evening to Sunday afternoon?
I talked to Bill (2Dogs) and both he and I have some expirence cooking for a group.
Any idea how many people might attend? 20-30 for a starting guess.

We have power and water at the group cooking area known as the "Ramada" (a covered outdoor kitchen area).

We do not have power and water in the regular camp sites.

We'll have to get someone in the group to "reserve" the Ramada so that it does not get taken by a family group. We might need to take up a collection to cover this until we can get donations at the "food counter" to recoup our reservation fee?

We have power at the restrooms, so we might be able to get something to another camp site or two for a special need.

Showers are hot, but pay with quarters.

Number of folks will likely be in the 30~50 range as of now. But who knows? This thing could start drawing more as the word gets out ...

Last edited:
We have power and water at the group cooking area known as the "Ramada" (a covered outdoor kitchen area).

We do not have power and water in the regular camp sites.

We'll have to get someone in the group to "reserve" the Ramada so that it does not get taken by a family group. We might need to take up a collection to cover this until we can get donations at the "food counter" to recoup our reservation fee?

We have power at the restrooms, so we might be able to get something to another camp site or two for a special need.

Showers are hot, but pay with quarters.

Number of folks will likely be in the 30~50 range as of now. But who knows? This thing could start drawing more as the word gets out ...

Can we transfer money via Paypal to an e-mail address of someone who lives up there?

I could probably bring up a short piece of redwood say 5' long by 3 1/2' in diameter. Any interest?

I should be able to come up with some local vegetables, enough for everyone. Maybe artichokes or Brussels sprouts.

Can we transfer money via Paypal to an e-mail address of someone who lives up there?

I could probably bring up a short piece of redwood say 5' long by 3 1/2' in diameter. Any interest?

I should be able to come up with some local vegetables, enough for everyone. Maybe artichokes or Brussels sprouts.

I can probably get something off our Cloverdale property...can drop a tree and buck it up but don't have a trailer to haul anything...and getting logs onto a trailer would be interesting. The only Redwood that is down is about 20" at the base. We don't usually cut the larger trees down. I'd have to hunt for a decent fir. Oaks and Madrone are no problem

I can probably get something off our Cloverdale property...can drop a tree and buck it up but don't have a trailer to haul anything...and getting logs onto a trailer would be interesting. The only Redwood that is down is about 20" at the base. We don't usually cut the larger trees down. I'd have to hunt for a decent fir. Oaks and Madrone are no problem

Maybe we can take a field trip over to that downed giant oak on your property. I'm wearing golf shoes though, so I don't slide down the hill..........LOL!!!

Maybe we can take a field trip over to that downed giant oak on your property. I'm wearing golf shoes though, so I don't slide down the hill..........LOL!!!

LOL.

actually, I when I found out about this gtg I thought of offering the property as a location but the family is in the process of selling it so have no idea is we'll even be there in Nov. :(

anyone interested in a 2000acr ranch off hwy 128? :p

Latest posts

Back