Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did Bob's PNW GTG have races (aside from some 'informal' heads up stuff)? I don't know because I didn't quite make it there in 2011.

Sure did E and all was timed. My races will be sanction with many divisions and trophys also live feed and sending it to the Outdoor Channel and sponsored by Baileys and Cabelas with winners name and time posted to the Oregon Loggers Archive in my town....No ESPN though:msp_biggrin:

Well hell, I see this thread has grown and was stickied. Should have seen it. If I can keep from spending the money, I'll show up. Now that Im driving something that wont fall apart I can get out. Maybe even offer a ride for someone on my way down.

I might be heading down to this if I'm not in southern Cal on a fire or in New Mexico at burn boss academy. If I do make it, I can offer rides to locals and bring camping/cooking supplies and a couple real healthy slabs of wood.

We need to figure out what this is going to look like.
Fri, Sat, and Sunday??
How are we going to do the food? With what, by whom, and who does what supplies.
Costs??? Camping, cooking area, shared food, etc.
Number count
What else????

Actually I've been duty officer all season, haven't made it to one single fire yet. :(

I got plenty of 125s here whenever you're ready, big Pioneers too.

Anytime you have free time I'm game JJ. Saw you in MC yesterday morning and gave you a wave. I just about have my 361 all wrapped up. For the final piece, I have to make a trip to Glendale down to UPP. I was to see if the can custom build me a carb box set up so I can run an 084 MaxFlow system on it. It should be a screamer after that.

Fri, Sat, and Sunday??
How are we going to do the food? With what, by whom, and who does what supplies.
Number count
What else????

Im not one for cooking. But I figured I could bring some food down. Slabs of ribs and a bag or two of potatoes.

Some answers

Fri, Sat, and Sunday??
Number count
What else????

Frank, I'll try to answer what I can - but some of your questions are better addressed by the Ranger -Sandy Jones. Please email her at [email protected] for some of the technical details about food prep locations and such.

Right now we are thinking incoming on Friday, bigger group on Saturday, some stuff and departing on Sunday.

For all - this is the first GTG for this area/location, so it will be somewhat rough. We'll have glitches and issues that can be worked out for next year after we see how it goes. I suggest trying to be as self sufficient as possible this time through. Once we have one GTG under our belt, we can form groups and address the cooking, lodging, etc. for a possibly bigger follow-on event.

The basics are:

50 unit campground with tables, fire rings, tent sites and parking spurs that will take up to 24 ft motor home or pick-up and big camper. There are few that might take a bit more, but maneuvering around the loop road will lead to limb rubs on a bigger machine.

The Campground has two combo restrooms with hot showers ($.25 timers - a dollar will probably get you clean). There are faucets located around the campground loop. There are also 4 Walk-in Sites where you park in small common lot and walk into your tent site - probably 50 yds max.

There is one Group Camp area for family reunion sized bunches all camping together. It can accommodate 30 people with tents (bring them) and park about 10 cars. Group Camp is on reservation year round, so it is through Reserve America service.

There is separate Day Use Area which is probably 3 to 5 acres is located lower in the park and parallel to Highway 29. Has one combo restroom and lots of pic-nic tables with Belson stoves (charcoal or wood). For this even, we are planning to park larger motor homes in the Day Use Area overnight. We can handle maybe 5 or 6 bigger rigs... In this area is where we will be having whatever events we want like antique show, test running gear, doing maintenance demos, etc.

There is a roofed over area with a sink and cooking space called the "Ramada". The Ranger has held this facility for the GTG. This is where I'd suggest cooking for a larger group if we want to have a "Chuck Wagon" for the GTG participants.

We also have a outdoor AV area with a screen and benches nearby. It'll be OK in the evening for showing slides or maybe video with a projector?

I will look into a PayPal account to receive funds and help reserve spaces and such. that is a very good suggestion. I just asked and we don't have one set up for stuff like this yet. Maybe in a few weeks ...

We will likely advertize this "event" in the local small town papers as we need to let the general visiting public know that there is a larger group event happening at the Park so they don't show up and get surprised when all they wanted to do was go for a hike or something. Once we do that, we'll have some local show for the GTG, so the day use crowd may expand to the order of 100 or so.

OBTW - for any of you planning to help organize this, Ranger Jones has called a planning meeting for 2:00PM on Sunday on August 26th to start working out the wrinkles and details. Please keep the ideas coming and let us know if you can help with the organizing?

Last edited:
My bad, I fixed it - August 26th it is.

I'm getting old and my eyes ain't working that well. Maybe I better get to the Eye Dr?

Meals should be kept as simple as possible. Perhaps a large community pot-luck on Saturday afternoon. The hot food (meat and a big pot of beans) could be prepared in the main galley and side dishes could be pot-luck. A large pot of hot coffee in the main galley from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning. Perhaps a hitch-up breakfast on Sunday morning. All other meals would be up to individuals.

Last edited:
This event sounds very family-friendly, no? My 4 year old heard me talking to my wife and he has his heart set on going. He loves all things logging related especially chainsaws. I want to bring him along and was wondering if anyone else was planning on bringing thier kids.

Take a look at this picture from earlier in the year to see what I mean about him liking chainsaws:
View attachment 248719

asset.php

This event sounds very family-friendly, no? My 4 year old heard me talking to my wife and he has his heart set on going. He loves all things logging related especially chainsaws. I want to bring him along and was wondering if anyone else was planning on bringing thier kids.

Take a look at this picture from earlier in the year to see what I mean about him liking chainsaws:
View attachment 248719

asset.php

The Park is family friendly. There will likely be other families there that are not part of the GTG, but may join in for the fun of it. Bring the kids. The Park staff like kids and will try to make your stay enjoyable :)

The Park is family friendly. There will likely be other families there that are not part of the GTG, but may join in for the fun of it. Bring the kids. The Park staff like kids and will try to make your stay enjoyable :)

I don't think you understand. My 4 YO isn't interested in the park. He wants to see chainsaws. He keeps asking me, "Daddy when are we going to the chainsaw festival and sleep in the truck?" He already told me that he is sleeping in the bed of the truck and we will have the camper shell and the 9' CB antenna. He loves to watch chainsaws and wants to see a bunch of them running at once. He is used to long road trips but he hasn't camped before so a short weekend trip like this is perfect.

The things you are talking about doing; historical saws run by guys in period costume, talks by retired loggers, cookie cutting appeal to me and I think he will like it too. I am really looking forward to it.

One suggestion: We should have name badges with out AS handle and real name so we can put a face with a name and handle. For instance mine would say Bob95065 and Bob Elliott. What do you think?

Latest posts

Back